Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

99 GS300 or 95 LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 06:57 PM
SemiCircle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS300 or 95 LS400?

Hello Lexus owners!

Just signed up to gleen your knowledge and hopefully participate in the sharing, if all goes well. I've been researching these amazing cars for a couple months and have the chance to buy one now. I'm looking at a 99 GS300 and a 95 LS400, both in mint condition and fairly low miles. The GS has 138k, the LS has 117k. I'd rather have the smaller GS personally but I don't know much about that year. The LS I know is very solid, I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Great forum for new and prospective Lexus owners!

Thanks

Last edited by SemiCircle; 05-02-10 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-01-10, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. Glad to have you.

It's easy to fall in love with the 1Gen GS's great looks and sharp steering, especially compared to the rather awkward-looking 2Gen version that followed it, but there are, IMO, some sound reasons for choosing the LS. The 3.0L in-line six in the GS300 is smooth as butter and is a good engine, durability-wise, but it eats premium gas like a V8 (I had the same engine in the IS300 I owned for almost 5 years), so you might as well get a V8 in the first place. The LS will not equal the GS's handling, but will really be something comfortable and relaxing to drive in (if that's important to you)...you will enjoy long trips in it. The LS will have a LOT more trunk space (again, if that's something important to you). The LS you're looking at has some 20,000 miles less wear on it (but more age) than the GS, but on cars that old, the time difference probably means less than mileage. However, whichever one you chose, you can still expect at least the possibility of replacing some rubber and weather-exposed parts that will deteriorate with age.

BTW, the CAR CHAT forum here is not just for Lexus talk. Here, we talk about any car or truck (and sometimes motorcycles), any manufacturer, anytime, round-the-clock, 24 hours a day. You want to talk vehicles.....this is the place.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-10 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 09:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the LS will have less trunk space since the gas tank is located right behind the rear seat. I had a 99 LS and prefer the GS I have now. You could fit maybe two golf bags in the LS trunk. The GS has a full sized trunk.
Old 05-01-10, 09:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This would be a tough pick for me, but I'd probably go with the LS. It wold ultimately come down to the overall condition, both mechanical and cosmetic.
Old 05-01-10, 09:43 PM
SemiCircle
Driver School Candidate

CK, what GS year do you have?
Old 05-01-10, 09:50 PM
SemiCircle
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention that the LS is $800 more. Both are in outstanding shape.
Old 05-01-10, 09:55 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say GS over LS!
Old 05-01-10, 10:02 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SemiCircle
CK, what GS year do you have?
I now have an 03 GS430. Had a 99 LS. The LS is definitely more plush, but the GS is no slouch in that department either. Some of the things I miss from my LS that the GS doesn't have is drivers side mirror tilts down in reverse, motorized headest heigt adjustment, motorized seatbelt height adjustment. Really, that is about all I miss. It was a great car, but the more sporty GS is more my style. The 95 LS only has 260 HP. THE 99 GS300 I believe has 225.
Old 05-02-10, 03:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This would be a tough pick for me, but I'd probably go with the LS. It wold ultimately come down to the overall condition, both mechanical and cosmetic.

Agreed.....and I think the mileage difference, with some 20,000 miles less wear on the LS, could be a significant factor, particularly if it is highway mileage without a lot of stop-and-go driving.

The looks of the 1Gen GS, though, can be captivating for some people. It was a beautiful design, inside and out. And, as CK6Speed pointed out, the trunk space issue may not be as much of a factor as I thought.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-10 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-02-10, 07:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....and I think the mileage difference, with some 20,000 miles less wear on the LS, could be a significant factor, particularly if it is highway mileage without a lot of stop-and-go driving.

The looks of the 1Gen GS, though, can be captivating for some people. It was a beautiful design, inside and out. And, as CK6Speed pointed out, the trunk space issue may not be as much of a factor as I thought.
I once had the first gen GS300, as well as the first gen LS400. They were both good cars, and the first gen GS300 does have the 2nd gen beat in several areas - particularly steering feel and handling. But it did suffer from several flaws, that were common on all early Lexus models (the first gen LS suffered from similar flaws).

Overall the 2nd gen Lexus models are much better built and far better quality machines than their first gen siblings. The materials, solidity, assembly, quality, serviceability are just head and shoulders above. So even if you find the looks of the first gen GS better then 2nd gen GS, the 2nd gen is still a much, much superior car.

In any case, to the OP, I'd probably go with the LS400, but thats just me. Both will be solid cars if they were taken good care of by previous owners. My 2nd gen GS430 already has around 130k miles (although I drive it very little these days) and other than regular maintenance items, it's never had any problems. The only thing's I've replaced that weren't regular maintenance are lower ball joints, hood latch cable, and two door lock actuators.

Last edited by Och; 05-02-10 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-02-10, 09:46 AM
SemiCircle
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for your input. I have a question though, I thought the 95 LS and the 99 GS were both 2Gen. Has Wikipedia wronged me here?
Old 05-02-10, 12:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

It's easy to fall in love with the 1Gen GS's great looks and sharp steering, especially compared to the rather awkward-looking 2Gen version that followed it, but there are, IMO, some sound reasons for choosing the LS.
a '99 GS would be the second gen, not first.
Old 05-02-10, 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

if the 95 LS has been well maintained, that's what i'd buy, over the 99 GS. both are 'cushy' vehicles, but the LS is going to be much quieter/smoother.
Old 05-02-10, 02:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

The transmission is much better in the 99 GS with the 5-Speed. I think the 95 still uses the old 4 Speed that I had in my 93 SC400. If you can swing a 98+ LS that would be my choice. They have significant upgrades from the 95-97 LS. Upgraded motor to teh 3UZ with 290 HP and 5-Speed trans. Shaved antenna so no more antenna sticking out of the body, HID headlights, Information screen on the cluster instead of by the clock area. Anyway, that is just my preference. For a large car, that trunk really pissed me off. I couldn't even get the large stroller in the trunk. I used to have to carry it around in the back seat.
Old 05-03-10, 12:13 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly I don't know how you can compare the 1st gen GS looks to the 2nd gen GS. 2nd Gen GS is considered the best looking GS to date. Looks wise 2nd gen GS 300 any day over the ls400, and the LS400 is 4 years older a in my book.

Quick Reply: 99 GS300 or 95 LS400?