Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: Mercedes' new 4.7L TTV8 and 3.5L V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 02:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
All MPLexus301 said was the fact that M-B's new 3.5L V6 is simply making what Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Ford, GM has done for several years already or recently, and that is not impressive. Whether the old engine is adequate is not the point. To me the 2.5L V6 in Lexus IS250 is definitely adequate, but is it better than the 3.5L V6 in IS350? Probably not. Merely looking at peak horsepower is not enough to judge the competency of an engine, yet it is one yardstick every car buyer don't miss. In order to compete, you have to match your rivals, if not outstrip them. The old 3.5L engine from 2010 C350 is making 268hp, that is about what 2003 Infiniti G35 made. It is great news that M-B is finally offering this more than adequate engine in their 2011 vehicles, it is by no means flabberghasting. 306hp is good and probably the max a naturally aspirated engine with 3.5L displacement could attain nowadays, but not impressive anymore. M-B should have done it sooner, at least 2010 E-class should have gotten it.
My point exactly...thank you
Old 05-05-10, 02:38 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och

Lexus - 305hp, but it sounds like a diesel until it warms up.
306!!!

Also, mine is pretty quiet. I have to not be moving and actively listening to hear the DI ticking. Not sure who told you it sounds like a diesel.
Old 05-05-10, 02:38 PM
LexFather

All MPLexus301 said was the fact that M-B's new 3.5L V6 is simply making what Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Ford, GM has done for several years already or recently, and that is not impressive. Whether the old engine is adequate is not the point. To me the 2.5L V6 in Lexus IS250 is definitely adequate, but is it better than the 3.5L V6 in IS350? Probably not. Merely looking at peak horsepower is not enough to judge the competency of an engine, yet it is one yardstick every car buyer don't miss. In order to compete, you have to match your rivals, if not outstrip them. The old 3.5L engine from 2010 C350 is making 268hp, that is about what 2003 Infiniti G35 made. It is great news that M-B is finally offering this more than adequate engine in their 2011 vehicles, it is by no means flabberghasting. 306hp is good and probably the max a naturally aspirated engine with 3.5L displacement could attain nowadays, but not impressive anymore. M-B should have done it sooner, at least 2010 E-class should have gotten it.
Exactly. Benz is simply late as hell with the 300hp V-6. Hell Hyundai and Acura have big 3.7/3.8 liter V-6s making 300hp. Nissan has the 3.7 VQ as well.

The funny thing is it didn't matter as the C-class sold like hotcakes with its less powerful V-6. Now with HP finally where the others are it makes an even more compelling purchase.

Old 05-05-10, 02:39 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new V6 is finally on par with everyone else's (with Lexus's being the first to crack 300hp). The new V8 TT sounds pretty decent, but I'm guessing Lexus doesn't want to touch turbos because of the higher noise level and potentially higher reliability issues, which are against what the marque is known for. Plus Lexus's V8 hybrid makes more power than MB's V8 TT already anyway. All Lexus needs to do now is to upgrade the V8 hybrid to use Li-ion batteries and make it available to the lower models/trims and it'll be competitive against the V8 TT from BMW and MB once again.
Old 05-05-10, 02:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, despite the Marketing hype this is just the kind of progress that is expected.

btw, Mercedes has 2 lucrative and strong selling cars already (C-class and E-class) so the improvements are best done before the sales erosion. Regardless it takes more than winning the horsepower race to sell premium cars in volume (other factors carry a lot of weight too) and as of today Mercedes has grown sales with engines generating only so-so output.
Old 05-05-10, 02:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

M-B should have done it sooner, at least 2010 E-class should have gotten it.
Agreed. Even at the time of the new E-class, the SLK received a 300hp 3.5 V6. Suffice to say, a 300hp E-class would be a much better comparison to the 535i and A6
Old 05-05-10, 04:30 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
306!!!

Also, mine is pretty quiet. I have to not be moving and actively listening to hear the DI ticking. Not sure who told you it sounds like a diesel.
To be really technical, it's actually rated at 316 HP from the factory, but Lexus somewhat arbitrarily lowered it to 306 mostly for marketing purposes, apparently. "three oh six" has a better ring, I suppose? I don't know.

It's the same reason why BMW's 335i is rated at 300 HP by BMW, but the actual output is in the 320-330 range. 300 even apparently works better for marketing purposes.
Old 05-05-10, 05:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The TT V8 from Benz certainly sounds impressive, more so than the V6.

Originally Posted by DustinV
The new V6 isn't impressive because of the "306-horsepower" output? Huh?

I don't seriously see anyone in this niche going for more power from now on. Fuel economy is the new priority and 306-horsepower are already overpowered for any vehicle.

As I said before in the Shooting Break thread. MB could easily have extracted more power from this V6. They just didn't.
This is starting to sound like a broken record . Lexus could have extracted more power out of their 306 HP 3.5L V6, but they didn't. BMW could have easily extracted a lot more power out of their 320 HP 3.0L turbo I6, but they didn't.

The industry does not operate on hopes, dreams, or "what ifs".

It's irrelevant what Mercedes could have done, or what potential the engine has.

This is what Mercedes has released to market, and this is what they have to offer right now.

The fuel economy that Benz is claiming for the V6 does sound impressive, but these are Benz estimates. We need to wait for final EPA figures to make an apples-to-apples comparison.
Old 05-05-10, 05:13 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

they have with-held this long because they claim something about the grade of gas we get in the US isnt good with their engine, and then im betting cost has a lot of do with it.

here is where they stand

they cant put the new 3.5 in the E class because then the 1st year buyers will call foul play

they cant put the new 3.5 in the C class even though its time for a refresh because they cant have the C overpowering the E

so what's left? I guess the C and E wont see it for some time and these two engines will be put in the new CLS, and the new M
Old 05-05-10, 05:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
they have with-held this long because they claim something about the grade of gas we get in the US isnt good with their engine, and then im betting cost has a lot of do with it.

here is where they stand

they cant put the new 3.5 in the E class because then the 1st year buyers will call foul play

they cant put the new 3.5 in the C class even though its time for a refresh because they cant have the C overpowering the E

so what's left? I guess the C and E wont see it for some time and these two engines will be put in the new CLS, and the new M
you forgot the 2006 gs300?

i think it's ok to just update the engine when it's ready, no point to wait anyway, one way or the other some customers will be mad. just like the 5 series, the 535 came out mid cycle i think?
Old 05-05-10, 05:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

hybrid-like jumps in fuel economy, 22 percent and 24 percent respectively.
It is "hybrid like" because MB has been lacking in the fuel economy department for so long. Recall the last gen. E class was rated for 16/24 MPG. That is pretty bad. The new E class has a slight job, but given the power it puts down it is far from being a class leader

Those numbers are not official EPA numbers, but are Mercedes' own estimates.
The same people that estimated 26/32 for the S400 which the EPA rated at 19/26? What it looks like here is that the numbers are inflated because they are on the EU cycle. So what is a 20% jump over there might actually be more like 10%. Not that this is bad, but don't expect a 30+ MPG E350 like this article alludes to.
Old 05-05-10, 06:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Everyone thats complaining about MB taking too long to make this engine, keep in mind, MB is not that big of a company compared to Toyota, and they can't be working on all of their engines at the same time. They concentrated on many of their V8's and diesels, now they took care of the V6 front. Meanwhile Toyota was concentrating on the V6's and hybrids, hopefully with updated V8's coming out soon.

At least MB and Toyota are usually solid when it comes to engine engineering. They don't do overclocking like Infiniti and BMW, and don't overrate their engines on paper like Acura.
Old 05-05-10, 08:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Everyone thats complaining about MB taking too long to make this engine, keep in mind, MB is not that big of a company compared to Toyota, and they can't be working on all of their engines at the same time.
It's a valid point, but BMW seems to have managed. Nevertheless, MB also charges more than Lexus...and BMW...and Audi and Acura and Caddy.
Old 05-05-10, 09:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It's a valid point, but BMW seems to have managed.
Well its not really correct to compare a TT engine to NA engine. Also, BMW does not have as many engines as MB, and their TT 3.0 engine isn't really new, its what I call an "overclocked" version of their NA engine (which has dismal power output btw) that is tuned purely for performance with very little regard for anything else.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Nevertheless, MB also charges more than Lexus...and BMW...and Audi and Acura and Caddy.
The lease deals on E350 are actually cheaper than GS350
Old 05-05-10, 10:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

so what, are they still going to call it the S550? S470 just doesnt sound the same, haha

Quick Reply: Official: Mercedes' new 4.7L TTV8 and 3.5L V6