Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: Mercedes' new 4.7L TTV8 and 3.5L V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 08:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I was comparing against the current Benz V8. The new TT isn't out on the streets yet so who knows what number it'll put out.
Old 05-08-10, 09:32 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
To be fair, Toyota's 4.6L engine sips fuel through a straw unlike the Mercedes where it uses an oil pipeline. Both are fantastic engines, but they have their pros and cons.
^ This.

Originally Posted by Och
LMFAO. Lexus 4.6 produces a measly 380 torques, vs 516 torques on the MB 4.7TT. And I bet these 516 torques are going to be available at very very low RPMs.

In fact, the current Lexus 4.6 is rated the same as MB's current 5.5, but the MB engine makes the Lexus engine feel like a V6 in comparison.

Lexus needs to wake up soon, and either increase the displacement or implement a small turbine to boost the power output of their V8 engine.
You would expect a lot less torque from a normally aspirated engine though, no? Why jump from the topic of HP to FT/Lbs?

Traditionally, Lexus' cars have weighed less than Mercedes cars, in fact, less than most cars in their respective classes, negating the need for a large displacement torque monster.

Personally, I'd rather Lexus try and keep the ballooning curb weights in check rather than build a huge displacement toque monster of an engine.
Old 05-08-10, 10:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
^ This.
You would expect a lot less torque from a normally aspirated engine though, no? Why jump from the topic of HP to FT/Lbs?
Because the maximum HP output is pretty meaningless. You need to look at torque curve to assess an engine potential.
Old 05-08-10, 10:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I was comparing against the current Benz V8. The new TT isn't out on the streets yet so who knows what number it'll put out.
Well I don't have much experience with the 5.5 to confirm or deny its fuel mileage, but to me, for a car with such engine, fuel mileage is almost irrelevant.
Old 05-08-10, 10:50 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well I don't have much experience with the 5.5 to confirm or deny its fuel mileage, but to me, for a car with such engine, fuel mileage is almost irrelevant.
it qualifies for the gas guzzler tax
Old 05-08-10, 11:58 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Originally Posted by Och
Because the maximum HP output is pretty meaningless. You need to look at torque curve to assess an engine potential.
Och, I respect your opinion, but you are hopscotching all over the place on this one. I guess we'll agree to disagree.