Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: Mercedes' new 4.7L TTV8 and 3.5L V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 08:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Official: Mercedes' new 4.7L TTV8 and 3.5L V6

Mercedes Introduces New Fuel-Efficient V6, V8 Engines

Published May 5, 2010

Just the Facts:
- Mercedes-Benz says its upcoming 4.7-liter twin-turbo V8 and 3.5-liter V6 will post big gains in fuel economy and power.
- The 4.7-liter twin-turbo V8 is rated at 435 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque, with a 22 percent improvement in fuel economy.
- 3.5-liter V6 makes 306 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque with a 24 percent jump in fuel economy.

STUTTGART, Germany — Mercedes-Benz announced today that its upcoming 4.7-liter twin-turbo V8 and 3.5-liter V6 will post gas-electric hybrid-like jumps in fuel economy, 22 percent and 24 percent respectively. The engines will deliver more power, too.

Those numbers are not official EPA numbers, but are Mercedes' own estimates. Further since a chunk of that fuel economy comes from the company newly standard start/stop system, it's not likely to show up as quite as great a fuel economy improvement on U.S.-market window stickers since the EPA's current testing standard doesn't really reflect the improved real-world economy that comes from this type of system.

The new V8 is a direct-injected twin-turbo unit of 4663 cc displacement. According to Mercedes, the engine, which will appear first in the CL-Class coupe and S-Class sedan this fall, will pump out a healthy 435 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque, up 12 percent and 32 percent respectively. Thanks to the direct injection system, Mercedes can run the engine at 10.5:1 compression ratio.

The V6 starts with a new architecture. It goes from a 90 degree V angle to 60 degrees. I has all-new intake and exhaust and will make 306 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. Mercedes claims that an S350 (a model we do not get in the U.S.) will achieve 24 percent better fuel economy than the old S350. Again, a large part of the improvement comes from the standard stop/start system. No word on when or in what model the new V6 will debut.

Another element of both new engines (and one that should be reflected in EPA fuel economy numbers) is the addition of ancillary units that consume less of the engine's power. These include water pump, oil pump and fuel pump. Both motors will also come with intelligent generation management systems

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...8-engines.html
While Mercedes is four years late to the 300+hp V6 party, the numbers on that V8 sound incredible. 435hp, 516 lb-ft of torque, and roughly 17/24 MPG. Who really needs an E63 now?
Old 05-05-10, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, the tt v8 output is definitely impressive, over 500ft-lb of tq! although they claim fuel efficiency improvement, but at roughly 17/24, i am not sure if i will call that impressive at all. i guess i am just way too spoiled by toyota engines

i can't wait to see what they will do on the amg setup
Old 05-05-10, 08:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, the tt v8 output is definitely impressive, over 500ft-lb of tq! although they claim fuel efficiency improvement, but at roughly 17/24, i am not sure if i will call that impressive at all. i guess i am just way too spoiled by toyota engines

i can't wait to see what they will do on the amg setup
New Mercedes-Benz AMG Twin-Turbo V8 Makes 563 Horsepower

The AMG arm of Mercedes-Benz introduced its latest engine here today at its headquarters in Affalterbach, Germany. The new engine is a 5.5-liter direct injection twin-turbo V8 and it will eventually replace the current 6.2-liter normally-aspirated V8 throughout the lineup. AMG vehicles equipped with the new engine will still be referred to as "63s" though because Mercedes likes the sound of it.

There will be two levels of tune when the engine debuts in the S63 AMG later this year. The base setup will generate 536 horsepower and 590 pound-feet of torque. And since that's not complete overkill, there will be an optional Performance Pack that dials in additional boost to deliver 563 horsepower and 664 pound-feet of torque. Like the current E63 and SL63, the new S63 will use Mercedes' latest MCT Sportshift seven-speed automatic transmission.

According to Mercedes, the S63 AMG will go from 0 to 60mph in 4.5 seconds in standard tune and a tenth quicker with the Performance Pack. The M157, as it's known internally, weighs slightly more than its predecessor (450 lbs. vs. 438), but fuel efficiency is way up. Mercedes says the S63 AMG will get up to 23.5 mpg on the highway, a 25% improvement. A stop/start feature is one reason for the increased efficiency.
I can only assume that the E and others will get this same engine.
Old 05-05-10, 08:49 AM
LexFather

LONG LIVE THE V8!!! v6 is late and not to impressive but the v8 specs are.

Hp wars are far from dead lol

it is lame they r naming the new AMG cars 63s b/x they like it and not b/c they are 6.3 liters. Next thing they will name 4 door sedans as coupes....

Oh wait

Last edited by LexFather; 05-05-10 at 08:53 AM.

Old 05-05-10, 08:51 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Son of a b--ch... was just looking at an SL63 and longing for better fuel... like the s400 hybrid with performance...now this...

Any mention as to when they arrive? Couldn't find it...
Old 05-05-10, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I can only assume that the E and others will get this same engine.
if that's the case then the normal tt v8 doesn't make sense when it produces so much less power and about the same gas mileage.

wow, 550hp and over 600ft-lb, yum!!!!!! bmw, game on!
Old 05-05-10, 09:07 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

wonder when the V6 will trickle its way down to the lower models
Old 05-05-10, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Well, you seem to really like the Ford Ecoboost V6. And I assume that you will also like the upcoming Chrysler Pentastar V6s as well. Nissan also does some rather impressive VQ V6 designs.
Old 05-05-10, 09:58 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Hp wars are far from dead lol

it is lame they r naming the new AMG cars 63s b/x they like it and not b/c they are 6.3 liters. Next thing they will name 4 door sedans as coupes....

Oh wait
I too am very impressed by the V8, while the V6 seems to just be playing catch up, as I was running the same numbers from the GS with great mpg.

I also think it will be weird naming the cars 63 AMG's but I think it would be worse to go back to 55 AMG (which I prefer, always called them the double nickles and the 55 vs 65 numbering seemed to show a more significant price jump vs 63/65) because less informed consumers would think the cars have gone backwards.

In that thinking, will MB call the new TTv8 a 470 or keep 550, because S470 sounds wrong?
Old 05-05-10, 10:10 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

The new V6 isn't impressive because of the "306-horsepower" output? Huh?

I don't seriously see anyone in this niche going for more power from now on. Fuel economy is the new priority and 306-horsepower are already overpowered for any vehicle.

As I said before in the Shooting Break thread. MB could easily have extracted more power from this V6. They just didn't.
Old 05-05-10, 10:24 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DustinV

I don't seriously see anyone in this niche going for more power from now on. Fuel economy is the new priority and 306-horsepower are already overpowered for any vehicle.

As I said before in the Shooting Break thread. MB could easily have extracted more power from this V6. They just didn't.
I agree that MB can make more power...easliy and I am sure they will as time passes. It is impressive when companies like MB and BMW make engines, but is it surpsising...not compared to the V8. People who buy the 350's do not care enough about power, or they would buy bigger engines and 306 is very good, but not in any way class leading.
Old 05-05-10, 10:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, the V6 is most certainly impressive, its just that they should've done it sooner. The current generation E class should've debuted with this engine.

The V8 is insane! I hope Lexus has something in the works to be able to run with these TT V8's from MB and BMW!
Old 05-05-10, 10:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV

Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, and BMW had 300-something-hp 6 cylinders four years ago, so no, this isn't impressive.

Welcome to the party, MB. You're four years late.
Old 05-05-10, 10:31 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
People who buy the 350's do not care enough about power, or they would buy bigger engines and 306 is very good, but not in any way class leading.
Exactly.

It's a good-enough power output for most people. It's not class-leading by any means, but I don't think that means much to most people. Most shoppers know that when you're buying a Mercedes' you also pay money for the brand name. It's one of the basics of branding and what a brand is/stands for. I also don't think horsepower is a selling point of the entry-level E class as the car has other positive qualities and talents that can impress buyers.

I've personally never been tempted by class-leading horsepower outputs. I buy my cars based on other factors, not how much power is under the hood.

Before the 118d, I drove a W211 E230 (yep, an E230) which had a 2.5-l V6 with 231-horsepower. My wife and I toured Europe with that car and I never once felt the horsepower output was in any way "underpowered" or "not impressive" when I was gunning it on the highways. The engine was smooth, the power delivery fluid and the performance was satisfactory to me.
Old 05-05-10, 10:36 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, and BMW had 300-something-hp 6 cylinders four years ago, so no, this isn't impressive.
So?

Like I said before, Mercedes' could easily have increased the power output of their 3.5 V6 motor but they didn't. Why? I have no idea. Perhaps they didn't deem it necessary since the E350 sells on other merits, not raw performance or horsepower output. In cars where it may matter more, like the SLK and SL, this same engine received a power-boost.

Welcome to the party, MB. You're four years late.
You're making it sound as if MB is only now trying to match the horsepower outputs of their rivals in the North American market.

I don't think so. Chances are the focus of this new engine were improved fuel economy, lower emissions and lastly performance. 306-horsepower were deemed adequate.

Dismissing an engine based on horsepower output is seriously pathetic. No offense.

Quick Reply: Official: Mercedes' new 4.7L TTV8 and 3.5L V6