Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Straight Talk About Safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 01:24 PM
Turnten
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight Talk About Safety

Lexus Magazine understands that vehicle safety has been top of mind over the last several months that is why we decided to have a chat with two Lexus vehicle experts about Lexus’ reputation for safety. Check out what they have to say here.
Old 05-05-10, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Lexus, of course, has a respectful reputation for safety engineering (and I give them credit where it is due), but, in general, Volvo and Mercedes lead the auto industry in that area. Based on safety engineering alone, and no other contributing issues being a factor, I'd feel safer in a big Mercedes S-Slass or Maybach (and would probably BE safer) than with just about any other regular passenger car on the road. Right behind that would probably be a Mercedes E-Class or a Volvo S80.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-10 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-05-10, 05:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the premium cars (including Lexus/BMW/Benz) score very well when objectively looking at data from rigorous IIHS crash test results, supplementing the subjective generalizations regarding safety.
Old 05-05-10, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

I find it ironic they equate airbags with safety, and yet in the disclaimer at the bottom they say:
To decrease the risk of injury from an inflating AB, always wear seatbelts, sit upright in the middle of the seat as far back as possible and do not lean against the door. Do not put objects in front of an AB or around the seatback. Do not use a rearward-facing child seat in any front passenger seat. The force of an inflating AB may cause serious injury or death.
How many people are really in the "correct" position when an accident occurs?

BTW, this is true for all manufacturers, I'm not picking on Lexus. They all say the same thing.

Anybody ever think about what might happen with your key ring dangling from the ignition and having your knee airbag go off? How about keys through the lower leg? Yes, it happens...

I still think airbags should be optional, and I do not equate them with safety, I equate them with guaranteed injury or death.