Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of the Mazda RX-8

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 06:59 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought it was pretty cool car, not impressive but cool. The teens that bought this car gave it a ricy rep i have never seen a tastefully modded one.
Old 05-06-10, 07:45 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
We Canadians get the Mazda concept haha, in fact the 3 is the 2nd best selling car in the whole country (behind the civic). I see tons of them, along with the cx-7 and cx-9. Seen quite a few rx-8's as well.
Yup, I see them all over in Vancouver too.
Old 05-06-10, 09:05 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Mazda3 seems to be a success, but, yes, the rest of the U.S-market line is questionable. And the Tribute, more than any other model, is simply drowned out by its Ford Escape brother.

As I see it, though, the RX-8, despite its superb chassis, was not a major success not only because of the shortcomings of the Renesis rotary engine, but also because a lot of potential buyers did not consider the half-rear doors (despite their usefulness) worthy of a real sports car.
First on the RX-8, it is just time for it to go. It was great in 2004, but now it is dated. Bravo to Mazda for such a unique car and I look forward to the new RX-7!

Last thing about the Mazda lineup, I now sell Mazda's for a living and yes the 3 is very popular, but the car we can't keep in stock and is extremely popular is the CX-9. People go crazy for them, it is such a great value, having three row seating, all kinds of technology features, and is just so easy to drive, with the handling and feel of a normal car! People just love them!
Old 05-07-10, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
never liked it...much preferred the RX-7

The 3Gen RX-7 was not without its shortcomings either. Its ultra-light weight and almost perfect balance (almost like a Lotus product) gave it superb handling and road performance (the twin-turbo definitely had more spunk than the present Renesis rotary). The RX-7 unibody, of course didn't have to accomodate the weaknesses of the present design with half-doors and without B-Pillars. But the ultra-lightweight construction of the underbody aluminum chassis/suspension steering parts had a flaw on bumpy roads (besides the very loud road noise from lack of insulation). Hitting a pothole or serious bump in the road could, and often did, bend or break some of those parts....this was a rather widespread owner complaint. It was strictly a car for smooth roads.

If a new RX-7 does debut soon, as rumored, of course, Mazda will have had some 15-16 years to learn from the old RX-7 (and, of course, the experience of the RX-8). We'll see what they come up with this time.
Old 05-07-10, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
First on the RX-8, it is just time for it to go. It was great in 2004, but now it is dated. Bravo to Mazda for such a unique car and I look forward to the new RX-7!
Despite the excellent handling, I agree with you that the RX-8 may have lived its life, but the rotary engine shortcomings (and the possible weaknesses of lack of B-pillars) date back long before the RX-8 was ever around (some old Saturn coupes had the same pillar weaknesses). It's not just a matter of what has happened since 2004.

Last thing about the Mazda lineup, I now sell Mazda's for a living and yes the 3 is very popular, but the car we can't keep in stock and is extremely popular is the CX-9. People go crazy for them, it is such a great value, having three row seating, all kinds of technology features, and is just so easy to drive, with the handling and feel of a normal car! People just love them!
Its reliability seems to be improving, too. According to Consumer Reports, it had a somewhat shaky start, but is now average or better. That's not the case with the CX-7, which is now below average.
Old 05-07-10, 10:47 AM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like good news. Never really liked the Rx-8. I mean it was kinda cool when it first came out and I do remember test driving it. But the more I saw it over the years since its debut, the more it grew less on me.
Old 05-07-10, 10:58 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
never liked it...much preferred the RX-7

+ 1 out of respect to prior RX sport cars the 8 should have been named Mazda Aztec. The sooner Mazda has this wart removed from thier otherwise good line up the better.
Old 05-07-10, 12:34 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. No love for the RX-8.

Automotive journalists, including Jeremy Clarkson, give it rave reviews. It's interesting to see the opinion in the stands sometimes doesn't echo that of the professionals. I'm actually surprised to see how many negative comments there are on this car, especially being in a car enthusiasts forum.
Old 05-07-10, 12:46 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

This may actually be a good news, that means a pure two door RX-7 is under progress, probably would come out into the market way ahead of the projected 2013.
Old 05-07-10, 02:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I never had an interest in RX7/8, when shopping for my last 4 sports cars owned. RIP.

But I have friends that owned both 1st gen and 2nd gen RX7's, both had good experiences for the most part.
Old 05-07-10, 02:55 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I'm sure they won't, but Mazda needs to give up on the rotary for the new RX-7 and go with a turbo piston engine. I wouldn't doubt that the 'quirkiness' of the rotary, with its known shortcomings in the RX-8, are keeping many potential buyers away from the entire Mazda lineup in one way or another.

If they had the Speed3 motor in the RX-8, I would have owned my first Mazda instead of going with an S2000 at the time
Old 05-07-10, 06:53 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I liked the RX8, and had been looking to buy one before I finding another 3000GT Non turbo(1997 for $3030).

Sigh, I think that the low HP/TQ, and low MPGs... doomed this car.

I may look for one, if one of my two 3000GTs die(1994 has 230K miles, the 1997 has 117K).
Old 05-07-10, 10:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Mazda3 seems to be a success, but, yes, the rest of the U.S-market line is questionable. And the Tribute, more than any other model, is simply drowned out by its Ford Escape brother.

As I see it, though, the RX-8, despite its superb chassis, was not a major success not only because of the shortcomings of the Renesis rotary engine, but also because a lot of potential buyers did not consider the half-rear doors (despite their usefulness) worthy of a real sports car.
You are 100% correct. True sports cars do not need extra doors and no one was asking for them in the first place. The RX-8 looks bulbous in the center, where it should look sleek, trim, and streamlined. Mazda was off in lalaland with their thinking, just like they are with their silly, smiley, cartoon-faced sedans. I hold little hope for the company if they haven't gotten their act together by now.
Old 05-08-10, 02:23 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Old 05-08-10, 06:25 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never liked the rx8 loved the rx7. Yeah and i do see those 3s zoom zooming all over the place.

Quick Reply: End of the Mazda RX-8