Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of the Mazda RX-8

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 07:06 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post End of the Mazda RX-8

We've been reporting for years now on the possibility of a revived RX-7, and it looks like Mazda may be moving one step closer to that goal with reports today that the RX-8 is due to cease U.S. sales after 2011. There will be a gap in the rotary world of at least two years, however, as the RX-7 (or whatever it will be called) isn't expected until at least 2013.

You still have a year to grab the fantastically-balanced if a bit inefficient four-seater before it goes to the big track in the sky, but with sales volumes not yet above the 500 mark in 2010, there may not be many leaping at the opportunity. It is, after all, an aging design and despite its truly graceful handling, it's a bit underpowered by today's standards, especially below 7,000 rpm.

The high-winding Wankel 1.3-liter is due to be replaced by a new RX-7, likely meaning a two-seat coupe instead of the RX-8's semi-four-door, four-seat layout. The engine in the new RX-7 is conversely expected to grow in size to 1.6-liters, to better help low-end power and torque while delivering even more top-end.

One challenge that's going to be tough to meet, however, will be the ever-tighter emissions controls being instated in Europe and the U.S.--rotaries, while efficient at generating power from very small displacements, typically burn lots of fuel and oil in comparison to conventional reciprocating engines, which in turn means relatively high emissions.

We'll hold out for the official word on the death of the RX-8 before we pronounce it final, but it's a natural progression for the car and for Mazda, so we won't be surprised when it comes. For more on the future RX-7 revival, check out our preview here.
Old 05-06-10, 07:19 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i am so heart broken over this.............. NOT!
Old 05-06-10, 08:05 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Missed mine for a while for the handling... but not for the (lack of) power... RIP
Old 05-06-10, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You still have a year to grab the fantastically-balanced if a bit inefficient four-seater before it goes to the big track in the sky,
They aren't kidding about the balance and responsiveness of this car. The lightweight rotary engine, tucked far back in the front end under the firewall for ideal balance, and the superb chassis engineering means you can practically think this car around corners. But, the engine, in some ways, can be a PITA. Yes, it's almost as smooth as a turbine (remember, the rotors spin more or less like one), and go to 9000 RPM in an instant, but it severly lacks torque at low RPMs, burns a fair amount of both gas and oil (unlike a piston engine, a small amount of oil is constantly burned in the rotor-chambers with combustion), and, because of its uniqueness in the auto market, has rather high prices for service/parts. As the article states, it also is not a particularly low-polluting engine, and, even with advanced catalysts and engine-control systems, probably will not meet future emissions requirements. The lack of structural B-pillars for the half-rear doors also means the possibility of creaks, rattles, and leaks in that are, although Mazda claims to have gotten around that with additional stiffeners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-10 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-06-10, 10:02 AM
LexFather

I hate to say this but Mazda is becoming niche day by day. Great lineup that simply does not resonate with consumers for whatever reasons.

Old 05-06-10, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I hate to say this but Mazda is becoming niche day by day. Great lineup that simply does not resonate with consumers for whatever reasons.
The Mazda3 seems to be a success, but, yes, the rest of the U.S-market line is questionable. And the Tribute, more than any other model, is simply drowned out by its Ford Escape brother.

As I see it, though, the RX-8, despite its superb chassis, was not a major success not only because of the shortcomings of the Renesis rotary engine, but also because a lot of potential buyers did not consider the half-rear doors (despite their usefulness) worthy of a real sports car.
Old 05-06-10, 10:20 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We Canadians get the Mazda concept haha, in fact the 3 is the 2nd best selling car in the whole country (behind the civic). I see tons of them, along with the cx-7 and cx-9. Seen quite a few rx-8's as well.
Old 05-06-10, 10:31 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RX-8 is a car that either get, or you don't. It's not the fastest car out there, it has terrible MPG, and low in torque. But if you ever get to drive one and live with it, it's such a fun car to drive. The car is designed to be driven hard and rewards you in spades for doing so.

Mazda really dropped the ball with the RX-8. No advertising and no updates in all the 6 years of production. Just an updated body kit. No Mazdaspeed. Nada. Of course the RX-8 is a niche vehicle with a quirky engine that never sold in great numbers, but Mazda did nothing to keep loyal fans interested. Ever been to Seven Stock at Mazda Headquaters?

Oh well, maybe this will help resale values for the RX-8.
Old 05-06-10, 11:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....As I see it, though, the RX-8, despite its superb chassis, was not a major success not only because of the shortcomings of the Renesis rotary engine, but also because a lot of potential buyers did not consider the half-rear doors (despite their usefulness) worthy of a real sports car.
Agree, reason I got mine was two youngsters and needed the doors, but oil burn and no torque = poor "sports car".... and for a 1.3 Wankel, the mileage BLEW!!!!
Old 05-06-10, 02:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

not going to miss even a little. It was a torqueless POS. In fact Mazda was busted when they released the car for over estimating the power of the car. I dont know how they could have released the rx8 after the mighty rx7. It was a failure from day 1
Old 05-06-10, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Agree, reason I got mine was two youngsters and needed the doors, but oil burn and no torque = poor "sports car".... and for a 1.3 Wankel, the mileage BLEW!!!!
The reason why rotary engines get lousy mileage is because of the way that the rotors and combustion chambers are shaped as the rotors spin. In a conventional four-cycle, piston gas/diesel engine, the air-fuel intake occurs only once every four strokes. That is not the case with a rotary, as the air/fuel mixture enters through the intake port, is sealed off and compressed, and then fires and is exhaust-ported every time the rotor spins. That is one of the factors, among others, that accounts for the rotary's smoothness of operation.
Old 05-06-10, 05:40 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

never liked it...much preferred the RX-7

Old 05-06-10, 05:57 PM
Slow_Sc3
Lead Lap

I drove my friends rx8 for a few days and I hated it!!!! after like the 3rd full day of driving the car I wanted to set it on fire!!

RX-8 you will not be missed!!!
Old 05-06-10, 06:04 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great chassis, fun motor, fun to drive (handle) hard...just like the MX-5. I applaud Mazda for keeping their vehicles spirited, while not being consumed by the HP wars.
Old 05-06-10, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
not going to miss even a little. It was a torqueless POS. In fact Mazda was busted when they released the car for over estimating the power of the car. I dont know how they could have released the rx8 after the mighty rx7. It was a failure from day 1
It beat the G35, 350Z and others in comparos more than once.

Quick Reply: End of the Mazda RX-8