Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I guess Buick is doing a good job then since it's not on the list

Like most, my priorities are different right now b/c I have 2 young kids and families to haul around. I like the boring cars that they are describing: smooth, quiet, road isolation, gets my family there without any problems.

When my kids grew up, that will change.
Old 05-06-10, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Of course, the answer for some people (those who have the space, money, and facilities for it) is simply to have more than one vehicle....a sensible daily driver and a sports/weekend toy. Paul (bitkahuna) is probably a good example, with his Ford Explorer and Mazda Miata. Of course, though, in FL, where he lives, with no snow, the Miata can probably be used year-around.
Good point, about 1 car not doing it for everybody, given they have the garage space, etc. But certainly an AWD RX makes a great luxury SUV for all-weather use.

I've owned several weekend cars that never saw rain or snow including a Mustang, Miata and several Porsches (all 'verts), but for the last decade have always had a 3rd vehicle 4wd/AWD SUV for the dirty stuff.
Old 05-06-10, 10:01 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Whats funny is this generation of the RX drives 200 times better than the 1st gen. Clearly it is not marketed as an exciting vehicle and it doesn't drive like a Cayenne Turbo but I question the need for useless SUVs that can do the slalom at a faster speed.

Its a sad fact that no matter what Lexus does for the RX in regards to style, marketing, features it is a boring/soccer mom posterchild. The hybrid and available sport suspension etc don't mean anything to people. They think RX, they think boring. The RX is also an easy target for people to throw stones at b/c
-it created the segment
-it is the segment standard
-it sells like hotcakes

People hate those facts.

That said the thinking person knows the RX is just a sensational vehicle and isn't too worried what other people think. I mean the RX outsells the entire cute ute segment and it outsells the 2nd best vehicle by nearly a 3 to 1 ratio.

To me the RX 450h in particular is one of the best vehicles sold today. Solid acceleration, luxury, good lucks, 30 MPG and real Utility to go with its features.

What else should be on the list?

Honda CRV
Hyundai Elantra
Chevy Cobalt
Ford Crown Vic
Lincoln Town Car
Lincoln Navigator
BMW 3 series
ES 350
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Toyota Sequoia
GMC most anything
Kia Amanti

Just off the top of my head surely there are others.

I think there is also a relation to boring and volume. For instance I see so many old/new 3 series the car is beyond boring to me. I know too many people with one and I see them way to much. Sorry but as exciting as a pickle jar. If anything I think they are "sleepers" in turbo form, bland but fast. I am well aware they drive fantastic but that is outside the point. That and the RX are so popular it creates a "bland" taste.

I couldn't agree more. I LOVE the RX, exactly what we bought it for, to be plush, stylish, fuel efficient, and haul the twins around in. The article does not offend me as much as it just stirs up what could be a boring car to some. I am very surprised by the writers citation to Toyota and Lexus in general.

Besides driving dynamics, I agree that the BMW 3 is a boring car. It does nothing for me. I think the new 7 is boring. Everything is opinion, but a lot goes into selecting a car for each person, different criteria on different levels.

Like MMarshall has stated, it is a matter of the ordinary sure fire great all around cars are considered boring by perception.
Old 05-06-10, 10:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
Besides driving dynamics, I agree that the BMW 3 is a boring car. It does nothing for me. .
Having owned a 335 I agree.
The test ride is fabulous but that wore off quickly for me.
With the sports package,drive over a paper cup and you get jolted.
OK,not that bad but the ride is way too harsh for me.Hit a pothole and there's nothing like that 'pothole explosion' noise.
Old 05-06-10, 10:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
OK,not that bad but the ride is way too harsh for me.Hit a pothole and there's nothing like that 'pothole explosion' noise.
I know somebody at work that has owned for a few months a 328 w/sport package and 17" wheels, she has the exact same complaint (as you described it).
Old 05-06-10, 10:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I know somebody at work that has owned for a few months a 328 w/sport package and 17" wheels, she has the exact same complaint (as you described it).
If you're talking about the pothole explosion noise,it's loud.
Scares the hell out of anyone else in the car.
The wife hated the car.
Old 05-06-10, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You found a 335i boring, and disliked the ride?

Interesting. I myself am very sensitive to ride and handling (just look at all the posts and arguments I have done on the subject), yet I found the 335i, in my review, one of the most superb combinations of ride, handling, and steering I've ever seen, even with the Sport Package and low 35-series tires. It is, arguably, my favorite RWD sport sedan, though the E63 AMG also has some superb features. For daily driving, I'd probably rather have a 335i than an M3, especially with the 335i's AWD option.

However, I respect your opinion , and I admit I haven't had to live with the 335's electronic and fuel-pump glitches on a daily basis...my view of it was mostly based on a 30-minute test drive. I didn't notice pothole "explosion" noises in the wheels/chassis. I had a brand new car, though, for the review..........perhaps (?) those noises tend to get louder as the miles build up and the suspension components wear.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-06-10, 10:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If you're talking about the pothole explosion noise,it's loud.
Scares the hell out of anyone else in the car.
The wife hated the car.
Yes, she mentioned that and the overall ride harshness. Granted she's only driven the car for less than 3000 miles, (but it's not a 30 minute test drive) and she is quite knowledgeable about cars too.
Old 05-06-10, 10:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You found a 335i boring, and disliked the ride?

Interesting. I myself am very sensitive to ride and handling (just look at all the posts and arguments I have done on the subject), yet I found the 335i, in my review, one of the most superb combinations of ride, handling, and steering I've ever seen, even with the Sport Package and low 35-series tires. It is, arguably, my favorite RWD sport sedan, though the E63 AMG also has some superb features. For daily driving, I'd probably rather have a 335i than an M3, especially with the 335i's AWD option.

However, I respect your opinion , and I admit I haven't had to live with the 335's electronic and fuel-pump glitches on a daily basis...my view of it was mostly based on a 30-minute test drive. I didn't notice pothole "explosion" noises in the wheels/chassis. I had a brand new car, though, for the review..........perhaps (?) those noises tend to get louder as the miles pile up.

Mike,I'm not talking about handling,steering or power.
Ride quality blows over bumps.Too stiff and noisy.
The term "Pothole explosion' isn't my invented words.Those words come from the 3 Series forums and used often.
I owned the 335 with sports pkg for a few months and could take the ride quality anymore but that's me.I found the ride harsh and noisy.Nice on smooth roads.
Many on the 3 Series forum say the standard and xdrive suspension ride is much smoother and some opt for the standard suspension because of the ride quality in certain big cities and towns because of road quality.
I won't even get into the fuel pump and fuel injector issues.
Old 05-06-10, 10:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the subject matter per OP, yes I see a few appliances on the list.
Old 05-06-10, 10:58 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I think Lexus wouldn't mind the RX being on this list, because it is precisely the reason why this car sells like hotcakes. Sure, it may not appeal to most enthusiasts, but judging from my experience, most RX owners love the car for its practicality, luxury, but most of all, the relaxing and comfy aka "boring" driving experience.

For example, my mom hated her BMW 3 even though it was a brilliant drivers' car. Why? Because she felt tired driving it even for short commutes and errands. She'd much prefer a Lexus because she wants to feel pampered and completely relaxed during her drive. She doesn't want to feel connected to the road or be thrilled with the drive at all.

The automotive press attach positive connotations to "exciting" cars and negative ones for "boring" cars, but that it clearly not the truth. Reality is that they are built with different goals in mind, so whether it is positive/negative depends on how the car caters to your preference of the driving experience that it provides.
Old 05-06-10, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
how is the camry, corolla, yaris not on there, but the RX is?
coz' rx is even more "boring"?

and i think that's true. the rx is more floaty and i feel more disconnected. driving so many rx as loaners, i can see how it's a boring car to drive, but at the same time one of the most efficient cars out there. great gas mileage, spacious, easy to drive, good cargo space, great clearance. if i get the rx, it will be for those reasons
Old 05-06-10, 11:07 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Back to the subject matter per OP, yes I see a few appliances on the list.
I agree. There are cars on the list I would not be caught dead in, but for the segment, I see several of each on the road...so they obviously appeal to people, "boring" or not.

Originally Posted by primecut
Well, I think Lexus wouldn't mind the RX being on this list, because it is precisely the reason why this car sells like hotcakes. Sure, it may not appeal to most enthusiasts, but judging from my experience, most RX owners love the car for its practicality, luxury, but most of all, the relaxing and comfy aka "boring" driving experience.

For example, my mom hated her BMW 3 even though it was a brilliant drivers' car. Why? Because she felt tired driving it even for short commutes and errands. She'd much prefer a Lexus because she wants to feel pampered and completely relaxed during her drive. She doesn't want to feel connected to the road or be thrilled with the drive at all.

The automotive press attach positive connotations to "exciting" cars and negative ones for "boring" cars, but that it clearly not the truth. Reality is that they are built with different goals in mind, so whether it is positive/negative depends on how the car caters to your preference of the driving experience that it provides.
So true. Different cars for different people. When I intend to run to the store and it will be mostly city miles, I take either truck, no need for the shifting and harsh ride of the BMW.

If there is any kind of open road expected though, it is a no brainer. Doesn't make any of the cars I currently own boring, just different.
Old 05-06-10, 11:19 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see why RX gets the title. Even our ES330 is boring. It's comfortable, reliable, and luxurious and these are the main reasons people get cars like these.
Old 05-06-10, 11:55 AM
cygator
Driver School Candidate

Default I loved my RX

Back in the day ( before kids ) I had a RX 300. I loved that car. Never had a lick of problems with it and when I traded it in on the lx 470 they gave me a great deal. This week, when I took my ES in for the sporty new pedal, they gave me the new version of the RX as my loaner. I thought it was a great drive. I was playing in my head how I could swap out the LX for a new RX. But my wife would never let me get rid of the "Canyonero".
Before the ES I had a 3 series BMW. I grew to hate that car. Something was always going wrong with it. In that sense, it wasn't a boring car. I had a Triumph Spitfire that was more reliable than that BMW. Like the previous post said, boring can be good. I'd take a new RX anyday.

Quick Reply: Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)