Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10 | 12:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You found a 335i boring, and disliked the ride?

Interesting. I myself am very sensitive to ride and handling (just look at all the posts and arguments I have done on the subject), yet I found the 335i, in my review, one of the most superb combinations of ride, handling, and steering I've ever seen, even with the Sport Package and low 35-series tires. It is, arguably, my favorite RWD sport sedan, though the E63 AMG also has some superb features. For daily driving, I'd probably rather have a 335i than an M3, especially with the 335i's AWD option.

However, I respect your opinion , and I admit I haven't had to live with the 335's electronic and fuel-pump glitches on a daily basis...my view of it was mostly based on a 30-minute test drive. I didn't notice pothole "explosion" noises in the wheels/chassis. I had a brand new car, though, for the review..........perhaps (?) those noises tend to get louder as the miles build up and the suspension components wear.
Mike, you must have not driven over a proper NYC size bump/pothole in the 335 that you've tested. Believe me, the term "pothole explosion" didn't just come out of blue sky.

You need to realize how BMW achieves its combination of good ride quality and good handling (we're mostly talking 3 series here). Unlike most other manufacturers (expecially Lexus) they don't use as many rubber bushings in their suspension/steering systems. Some of their suspension components bolt directly to the subframe without any bushings at all. This allows their cars to have this solid feel, and great feedback, without having to utilize extremely harsh shocks/spring setup, and that allows for good ride quality as well.

However it comes with a price. Once you hit a pothole/bump large enough to put the suspension close to the limit of its travel, a lot of shock gets transferred into the cabin, and thus the term "pothole explosion". I've experienced it quite a few times already in our 335, and it does get pretty violent. And if you hit something that exceeds the suspension travel, you're almost guaranteed to damage your suspension/subframe components.
Old 05-06-10 | 12:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by primecut

The automotive press attach positive connotations to "exciting" cars and negative ones for "boring" cars, but that it clearly not the truth. Reality is that they are built with different goals in mind, so whether it is positive/negative depends on how the car caters to your preference of the driving experience that it provides.
bRILLIANT

Old 05-06-10 | 12:21 PM
rogers2
Racer

I guess I agree with the list. I stay in a neighborhood where I see an RX’s every other house. But these people drive like that have absolutely nowhere to go. Next time you see someone driving an RX take a quick look at them they look bored out there mind.

Even my mother wants an RX and she is beyond boring. Guess what type of car she currently owns.

BUICK

But they're selling like hotcakes so Lexus don't change anything.
Old 05-06-10 | 12:28 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, you must have not driven over a proper NYC size bump/pothole in the 335 that you've tested. Believe me, the term "pothole explosion" didn't just come out of blue sky.
I have since 2007 with both sport & x-drive suspension & it is not unbearable. Ride quality is subjective of course..

You need to realize how BMW achieves its combination of good ride quality and good handling (we're mostly talking 3 series here). Unlike most other manufacturers (expecially Lexus) they don't use as many rubber bushings in their suspension/steering systems. Some of their suspension components bolt directly to the subframe without any bushings at all. This allows their cars to have this solid feel, and great feedback, without having to utilize extremely harsh shocks/spring setup, and that allows for good ride quality as well.
This is absolutly false.. You have a lot to learn about the setups on the 3 series.. There are rubber mounts & bushings throughout. It is all about suspension geometry, design & materials used.. Just take a look at the front lower control arm on a stock 335below

However it comes with a price. Once you hit a pothole/bump large enough to put the suspension close to the limit of its travel, a lot of shock gets transferred into the cabin, and thus the term "pothole explosion". I've experienced it quite a few times already in our 335, and it does get pretty violent. And if you hit something that exceeds the suspension travel, you're almost guaranteed to damage your suspension/subframe components.
This is the case with any vehicle including Lexus..
Old 05-06-10 | 12:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I have since 2007 with both sport & x-drive suspension & it is not unbearable. Ride quality is subjective of course..

Agreed, ride quality is subjective and unbearable would be an exaggeration. And I know you derived your subjective assessment of ride quality from thousands of miles driving subject vehicles rather than a 30 minute test ride with a dorq salesperson.

And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of boring vehicles....
Old 05-06-10 | 12:36 PM
LexFather

Old 05-06-10 | 12:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I didn't say it was unbearable, but it is pretty violent.

This is absolutly false.. You have a lot to learn about the setups on the 3 series.. There are rubber mounts & bushings throughout. It is all about suspension geometry, design & materials used.. Just take a look at the front lower control arm on a stock 335below

I didn't say 3 series uses no rubber mounts and bushings at all, but a lot less than many other manufacturers.

I've never had any suspension issues with any of my Lexus, except lower ball joints which is regular maintenance. I have my parents 745 (they are selling it to me dirt cheap ), and its gonna need some suspension work. It clunks pretty badly over bumps and its steering wheel is about 5 degrees off center, so its alignment is probably out of wack. There goes your geometry, design & materials used.
Old 05-06-10 | 12:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Dash,I'm not a young guy age wise anyway and have owned many,many vehicles over the years and never ever did I hear a pothole explosion noise hitting a pothole and not a canyon one either,like the noise in the 335 I owned.No tire damage either.
The noise would literally scare the schit out of a passenger both male and female.

No Lexus model boring or not would provide that same noise.OK,maybe the IS-F,maybe...

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-06-10 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-06-10 | 01:01 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Dash,I'm not a young guy age wise anyway and have owned many,many vehicles over the years and never ever did I hear a pothole explosion noise hitting a pothole and not a canyon one either,like the noise in the 335 I owned.No tire damage either.
The noise would literally scare the schit out of a passenger both male and female.

No Lexus model boring or not would provide that same noise.OK,maybe the IS-F,maybe...
I am not young either being/hitting the 4 decade mark. The "explosion noise" that the e90 guys discuss has much to do with RFTs & not the suspension.. Guys who complain choose to switch their tires to non RFT.. I am happy with RFTs..
Old 05-06-10 | 01:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

If "boring" means that the car is practical, comfortable, smooth, reliable, efficient, with simple attractive styling, then so be it. Sign me up!!

Old 05-06-10 | 01:28 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YARIS!
If "boring" means that the car is practical, comfortable, smooth, reliable, efficient, with simple attractive styling, then so be it. Sign me up!!

Same here. but how did no buicks or corolla or anything like that make the list?
Old 05-06-10 | 01:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by YARIS!

+1 from an RX owner since '98.

Friends and family don't call my 450h boring. Far from it. And I catch plenty of people admiring my RX. I'll save which cars I think are boring to avoid being flamed
Old 05-06-10 | 02:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The list is right on. Those cars are a total bore but in their defense they were not designed or built to excite you. They were developed to coddle and transport the driver and passengers in comfort and safety
Old 05-06-10 | 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
And I know you derived your subjective assessment of ride quality from thousands of miles driving subject vehicles rather than a 30 minute test ride with a dorq salesperson.
LOL. Who says it was with a salesperson?
Old 05-06-10 | 02:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
LOL. Who says it was with a salesperson?
lol, who cares., the extra weight shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Quick Reply: Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)