Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, you must have not driven over a proper NYC size bump/pothole in the 335 that you've tested. Believe me, the term "pothole explosion" didn't just come out of blue sky.

You need to realize how BMW achieves its combination of good ride quality and good handling (we're mostly talking 3 series here). Unlike most other manufacturers (expecially Lexus) they don't use as many rubber bushings in their suspension/steering systems. Some of their suspension components bolt directly to the subframe without any bushings at all. This allows their cars to have this solid feel, and great feedback, without having to utilize extremely harsh shocks/spring setup, and that allows for good ride quality as well.

However it comes with a price. Once you hit a pothole/bump large enough to put the suspension close to the limit of its travel, a lot of shock gets transferred into the cabin, and thus the term "pothole explosion". I've experienced it quite a few times already in our 335, and it does get pretty violent. And if you hit something that exceeds the suspension travel, you're almost guaranteed to damage your suspension/subframe components.
OK, in that sense I'll believe almost anything that comes from NYC roads. NYC and downtown D.C. have what is arguably the nation's worst road surfaces outside of the Great Lakes Snow Belt.
Old 05-06-10, 02:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The list is right on. Those cars are a total bore but in their defense they were not designed or built to excite you. They were developed to coddle and transport the driver and passengers in comfort and safety
No kidding, successful auto makers know these lucrative segments with high volume sales to show for it (RX, ES, Sonata, Accord, new Lacrosse, MDX, etc.).
Old 05-06-10, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
lol, who cares., the extra weight shouldn't make too much of a difference.

YOU cared. Otherwise you wouldn't keep bringing that issue up, not only in this thread but others as well..

Agreed, my weight alone is not light.....I'm betwen 270 and 280.
Old 05-06-10, 03:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
YOU cared. Otherwise you wouldn't keep bringing that issue up, not only in this thread but others as well..

Agreed, my weight alone is not light.....I'm betwen 270 and 280.
Not really since I didn't bring it up as an "issue", just acknowledging Dashshocker's seat time, realizing even his opinion of ride qualtity was still only subjective, that's what I cared about and recognized

Many of us on CL own premium cars for tens of thousands of miles and I expect them to provide feedback that we can't get elsewhere or from a 30 minute test drive ourselves/myself.

No need to be concerned or appear that you are some kind of "published expert" and who's credentials all of a sudden were slighted, because neither is the case.

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-06-10 at 03:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-06-10, 03:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
If "boring" means that the car is practical, comfortable, smooth, reliable, efficient, with simple attractive styling, then so be it. Sign me up!!

Given that criteria, some huge sales and profits are being made based on that criteria by the major auto makers.
Old 05-06-10, 03:27 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it's boring but it's a great xover SUV. i rather like the RX.
it does what it's supposed to do and does it very well.
Old 05-06-10, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
yes it's boring but it's a great xover SUV. i rather like the RX.
it does what it's supposed to do and does it very well.
Agreed. I never have understood the stigma that car enthusiasts have given the RX by calling it a "soccer-mom" vehicle. Those people, in my view, are just showing tunnel-vision. I see nothing wrong with a vehicle like the RX that combines refinement, luxury, smoothness/quietness, versatility, and a go-in-any-weather AWD system.
Old 05-06-10, 03:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. I never have understood the stigma that car enthusiasts have given the RX by calling it a "soccer-mom" vehicle. Those people, in my view, are just showing tunnel-vision. I see nothing wrong with a vehicle like the RX that combines refinement, luxury, smoothness/quietness, versatility, and a go-in-any-weather AWD system.
Amen. Can we get back to the cars that really belong on the list now
Old 05-06-10, 04:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of those boring vehicles are a part of the NYC taxi fleet. The way that some of these cab drivers operate these vehicles will make you forget about Space Mountain @ Disney fast

2009-Ford Crown Victoria Stretch
2009-Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
2009-Saturn Aura Hybrid
2009-Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
2009-Volkswagen Jetta Clean Diesel Sedan
2009-Lexus RX400h
2009-Toyota Camry Hybrid
2009-Toyota Prius
2009-Toyota Highlander Hybrid (4WD)
2009-Saturn Vue Greenline
2009-Nissan Altima Hybrid
2009-Ford Escape Hybrid (2WD)
2009-Mercury Mariner Hybrid (AWD)
2010-Ford Crown Victoria Stretch
2010-Volkswagen Jetta Clean Diesel Sedan
2010-Lexus RX450h
2010-Lexus HS250h
2010-Toyota Camry Hybrid
2010-Toyota Prius
2010-Toyota Highlander Hybrid
2010-Nissan Altima Hybrid
2010-Ford Escape Hybrid (2WD)
2010-Ford Fusion Hybrid
2010-Mercury Milan Hybrid
2010-Mercury Mariner Hybrid (AWD)
http://nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/safety_...s_in_use.shtml
Old 05-06-10, 04:28 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only find the RX boring because I see it everywhere in our neighborhood. It's basically the SUV of choice of the wealthy, along with the Mercedes M, BMW X and now Lexus LX 570.

I think Lexus did a great job on the exterior styling of the new LX. It looks far more regal, now. I find it to be an aesthetic upgrade from the 470.
Old 05-06-10, 05:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Some of those boring vehicles are a part of the NYC taxi fleet. The way that some of these cab drivers operate these vehicles will make you forget about Space Mountain @ Disney fast

http://nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/safety_...s_in_use.shtml
If you noticed, they are moving exclusively to hybrids and diesels not boring cars so not sure what that has to do with anything. The NYPD is moving to Altima hybrids.

Taxi's come in all shapes and sizes.

Old 05-06-10, 05:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Most taxis here in NYC are still Crown Vics, but they are slowly moving towards Nissan Altima hybrids, Ford Escapes, and Toyota Siennas. There are some Malibus/Impalas. I saw RX once or twice.
Old 05-06-10, 05:17 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

My GS is boring, I admit it...it doesn't look bad but it's nothing exciting either. Lexus is revered for its plush feel and ride, I hope they never lose their way because that is the reason that keeps me loyal to Lexus. Yes, I love sporty cars and exhilirating rides but comfort is my main priority.
Old 05-06-10, 05:38 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
My GS is boring, I admit it...it doesn't look bad but it's nothing exciting either. Lexus is revered for its plush feel and ride, I hope they never lose their way because that is the reason that keeps me loyal to Lexus. Yes, I love sporty cars and exhilirating rides but comfort is my main priority.
I don't know man, I look at some of these modded GS's and they look pretty sick to me:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vip...pt-at-vip.html

Tastefully modded GS can look stunning.
Old 05-06-10, 05:42 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
I don't know man, I look at some of these modded GS's and they look pretty sick to me:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vip...pt-at-vip.html

Tastefully modded GS can look stunning.
Of course, when you throw variables into the equation, the solution will change.

A tastefully modded anything can look stunning.

Let's get back on topic, which is 'the boring Lexus' (mainly the RX)

Quick Reply: Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)