Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 08:41 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)

Are Boring Cars Bad?

Just because the sheet metal looks ho-hum doesn't mean the machine is a dud. Here are 10 new vehicles that, on the surface, are as dull as dishwater but deliver where it counts.

By Lawrence Ulrich of MSN Autos

If you really want to get under a car buff's skin, all you have to do is call their vehicle "boring." It's the automotive equivalent of telling a woman she's "plain jane" or a guy "you're sweet," and will either send the gearhead into a fit of rage or reduce them to tears.

Yet some cars that catch flak for being dull are among the most popular, best-selling models in America. So what gives? At heart, the boring-car debate — which has raged for decades — spotlights the line that forever divides and defines two types of consumer: the car lover who lives to drive, and the car buyer who just wants dependable transportation. Take one guess to determine which group is larger.

"Boring typically equals a safe choice, and that's a driving factor for vehicle sales," says Jesse Toprak, vice president of industry analysis for TrueCar.com, a fledgling automotive pricing site. "Nobody is going to question why you bought a Toyota Camry." A Ferrari — well, that's another story entirely.

For perennial best-sellers like the Camry and Honda Accord, mass popularity feeds off itself, Toprak says. If people see a Camry in every other driveway, they reason, "It must be worth a look."

Certainly, many people — from sports-car fanatics to design aficionados — wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan or cookie-cutter family sedan, no matter who makes it. But many more people view those cars as akin to the perfect butler or accountant: unseen and unsung, but oh-so steady, reliable and accommodating that owners can take them for granted.

While most mass-market brands offer their share of wallflowers, it's Toyota that gets the most grief from enthusiasts, who view the Japanese brand as Public Enemy No. 1 for bland styling and sedate performance. To hear gearhead bloggers tell it, Toyota and its Lexus luxury division alone could field an impressive All-Boring Team. At minimum, it includes the Prius, Corolla, Camry and Avalon sedans for Toyota; and for Lexus, the ES 350 and LS 460 sedans and the RX 450h crossover. And while Toyota once churned out Celicas and MR2s, the carmaker today doesn't offer a single sports car in its lineup.

Ironically, Toyota's recent spate of public apologies included an admission that it was building too many boring cars, and a vow to do better. "They say that young people are moving away from cars," CEO Akio Toyoda said in October. "But surely it is us — the automakers — who have abandoned our passion for cars."

Yet Toyoda, and Toyota, might want to keep that opinion private. Consumers know full well that the Lexus RX 450h, for example, isn't designed to stop traffic or race BMWs. That hasn't stopped Americans from making the RX the nation's best-selling luxury crossover, by a wide margin. (And considering all the excitement raised by Toyota's unintended-acceleration recalls, one can imagine the company longing for a return to the days of dull, take-'em-for-granted Toyotas).

While some boring cars fly off the lots, others are widely overlooked. Those include the Mercury Milan sedan, which is always in the shadow of its popular sibling, the Ford Fusion.

To give those cars their 15 minutes of fame, we have compiled this list of the 10 most boring cars currently available at a dullership near you. Not every boring car made the list for the same reasons. Some models, like the Lexus RX or Honda Pilot, may be less than exciting, but we'd still recommended them to a friend or family member with no hesitation. For a few others, such as the Ford Focus, their dullness speaks not simply to a shortage of styling or driving fun, but a shortage of competitiveness against fresher rivals.

The list also avoids some too-easy targets, such as the Cadillac DTS or other ultraconservative sedans that are aimed almost exclusively at the retiree set. And we selected just one minivan, making the point without crowding the list with those notoriously square, sleepy family haulers.

One bit of advice before we begin: If you discover your own car on the boring list, don't start crying. As noted, a car enthusiast would find it an insult. But since you're obviously the practical sort, consider it a compliment.
1. Lexus RX
2. Volvo C70
3. Nissan Versa
4. Toyota Avalon
5. Chrysler Town & Country
6. Mercury Milan
7. Honda Pilot
8. Chevy Impala
9. Subaru Forester
10. Kia Sorento

Sourche: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/lista...1=22012#atoolb

I certainly can see most of the cars on the list. While I don't think the RX, LS, Lexus and Toyota in general, for example, are stunners like say Porsches, but I certainly don't think they are boring. Thoughts?

What else should be on the list?
Old 05-06-10, 08:45 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I think the list is right on, not to offend anyone but I can see why the RX and Avalon would be boring. I would choose a FX35 and Maxima over those 2.
Old 05-06-10, 08:47 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cherplex
I think the list is right on, not to offend anyone but I can see why the RX and Avalon would be boring. I would choose a FX35 and Maxima over those 2.
Not offended at all. I love the RX, but it would not have been my choice, as far as "enthusiasts" are concerned, but I wouldn't call it boring. I guess the issue is the considering performance vs styling.
Old 05-06-10, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well if they are talking about purely driving feel, yeah the rx is pretty darn boring. it gets the job done very well, smooth, quiet, no road feel, etc... (all not in a bad way), but from driving perspective, yup it's boring

but on the other hand, if one wants driving feel, rx wouldn't be the choice anyway. people want rx for completely different reasons, and evidently lexus is very successful with the car
Old 05-06-10, 09:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I certainly can see most of the cars on the list. While I don't think the RX, LS, Lexus and Toyota in general, for example, are stunners like say Porsches, but I certainly don't think they are boring. Thoughts?
Porsche are great cars, but most porsche's with the possible exception of the Carrera GT aren't stunners at all, they look plain and too much like the previous generations, they all look too familiar on the road. The newer generation of Porsche models look more handsome than the older generations, but I won't call them stunners.
Old 05-06-10, 09:04 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting article. The RX is a "boring" car, but as the other posters said, it does its job well. It isn't meant to be an "drivers" car, rather and luxury SUV.
Old 05-06-10, 09:05 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
well if they are talking about purely driving feel, yeah the rx is pretty darn boring. it gets the job done very well, smooth, quiet, no road feel, etc... (all not in a bad way), but from driving perspective, yup it's boring

but on the other hand, if one wants driving feel, rx wouldn't be the choice anyway. people want rx for completely different reasons, and evidently lexus is very successful with the car
I completely agree. I get far more driving excitement out of my Range Rover and I am sure that fails compared to say a Cayenne GTS/Turbo (S), but agreed, my wife loves the truck and it is always in eco mode (making it more boring to drive) but it is excellent on long trips.

I guess I question the articles tag line, refering to the cars on the list, including the RX and in the body of the article, LS, etc. as having Ho-hum sheet metal.
Old 05-06-10, 09:07 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boring can be thought of as bad, but boring can be a good thing. Especially for non enthusiasts and boring people.

I would put the Prius on the boring list. Love the car and it is the best at what it's designed to do, but it certainly isn't exciting.
Old 05-06-10, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yet some cars that catch flak for being dull are among the most popular, best-selling models in America. So what gives?
That answer, as I see it, is obvious. Many vehicles that are considered "boring", especially with crossover, AWD vehicles (Forester, Outback, Venza, Crosstour, RAV4, CR-V, RX, Outlander, Pilot, Highlander, XC-70, etc....) actually rank among the most sensible and most versatile daily drivers. Sure, it's nice to have a Corvette or M3 if you want some driving fun in the twisties or on a track, but what else can they do? With a crossover AWD vehicle, you can use it for almost anything, in almost any kind of weather. Try that with a sports car.

Yes, that's why I drive an Outback. And if I was spending 40K, I'd probably get an RX350.

Of course, the answer for some people (those who have the space, money, and facilities for it) is simply to have more than one vehicle....a sensible daily driver and a sports/weekend toy. Paul (bitkahuna) is probably a good example, with his Ford Explorer and Mazda Miata. Of course, though, in FL, where he lives, with no snow, the Miata can probably be used year-around.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-06-10, 09:14 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

how is the camry, corolla, yaris not on there, but the RX is?
Old 05-06-10, 09:16 AM
LexFather

Whats funny is this generation of the RX drives 200 times better than the 1st gen. Clearly it is not marketed as an exciting vehicle and it doesn't drive like a Cayenne Turbo but I question the need for useless SUVs that can do the slalom at a faster speed.

Its a sad fact that no matter what Lexus does for the RX in regards to style, marketing, features it is a boring/soccer mom posterchild. The hybrid and available sport suspension etc don't mean anything to people. They think RX, they think boring. The RX is also an easy target for people to throw stones at b/c
-it created the segment
-it is the segment standard
-it sells like hotcakes

People hate those facts.

That said the thinking person knows the RX is just a sensational vehicle and isn't too worried what other people think. I mean the RX outsells the entire cute ute segment and it outsells the 2nd best vehicle by nearly a 3 to 1 ratio.

To me the RX 450h in particular is one of the best vehicles sold today. Solid acceleration, luxury, good lucks, 30 MPG and real Utility to go with its features.

Honda CRV
Hyundai Elantra
Chevy Cobalt
Ford Crown Vic
Lincoln Town Car
Lincoln Navigator
BMW 3 series
ES 350
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Toyota Sequoia
GMC most anything
Kia Amanti

Just off the top of my head surely there are others.

I think there is also a relation to boring and volume. For instance I see so many old/new 3 series the car is beyond boring to me. I know too many people with one and I see them way to much. Sorry but as exciting as a pickle jar. If anything I think they are "sleepers" in turbo form, bland but fast. I am well aware they drive fantastic but that is outside the point. That and the RX are so popular it creates a "bland" taste.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-06-10 at 09:19 AM.

Old 05-06-10, 09:16 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Lexus RX
2. Volvo C70
3. Nissan Versa
4. Toyota Avalon
5. Chrysler Town & Country
6. Mercury Milan
7. Honda Pilot
8. Chevy Impala
9. Subaru Forester
10. Kia Sorento
These vehicles are as exciting as sitting on a park bench feeding pigeons.

Boring is an understatement..
Old 05-06-10, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Whats funny is this generation of the RX drives 200 times better than the 1st gen. Clearly it is not marketed as an exciting vehicle and it doesn't drive like a Cayenne Turbo but I question the need for useless SUVs that can do the slalom at a faster speed.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a sad fact that no matter what Lexus does for the RX in regards to style, marketing, features it is a boring/soccer mom posterchild. The hybrid and available sport suspension etc don't mean anything to people. They think RX, they think boring. The RX is also an easy target for people to throw stones at b/c
-it created the segment
-it is the segment standard
-it sells like hotcakes

People hate those facts.
Exactly. And also consider the fact that an RX350, when you want to haul home some groceries or packages, in the middle of a snowstorm, with a couple of kids in the back seat, is gotdamn USEFUL.

That usefulness, of course, does not just apply to the RX, but to many other crossover, car-based AWD products as well.
Old 05-06-10, 09:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl

That's exactly how I view it, subjective as that is, after driving it extensively.
Old 05-06-10, 09:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i

Yes,I think the RX,ES and LS are boring,especially the exterior design but I like the ride comfort.
I have owned a ES and two RX's.

Quick Reply: Most Boring Cars on the Road! (Lexus RX...really?)