Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap -

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 01:04 PM
LexFather

Post Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap -

While Nissan/Infiniti have upgraded brake size most reviews show significant fade after only a couple of track laps. This was horrible as the brakes actually failed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng_lap-feature

Our suspicion is that Nissan got a bit greedy in its quest for today’s all-important fuel-economy numbers and boosted the Z’s aerodynamics a little too far by cutting back on the amount of air directed through the wheel wells to cool the brakes. Key takeaway: If you intend to track a Z, don’t use the base pads, upgrade the brake fluid, and be sure to install brake-cooling ducts.

Old 05-06-10, 01:38 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

That's terrifying. I can't even imagine the feeling of stomping on the brakes to drag the car down from 130mph and there just not being anything there.
Old 05-06-10, 02:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This is old news but disappointing to say the least. A NISMO version of the 370z should be able to hang at the track like an EVO or STI. The funny thing is I have read articles in tuner magazines that compare the nismo z to the standard track edition )350z) and there was no difference in the numbers. In fact the Nismo version was beaten in the corners