Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Grisly Corvette crash in Van Nuys; 4 killed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 12:08 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

car n body parts scattered O_O holy geezus..
Old 05-07-10, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I've long believed that first-time Drivers' License applicants, no matter what their age (but especially teens just starting out), as part of their training, should have to spend at least one Friday or Saturday evening at the local hospital emergency room to see the results of driving intoxicated, too fast for conditions, drag racing, road rage, and aggressive driving. If they DID, IMO, the repeat rate of accidents like this would be far lower than it is today.
Old 05-07-10, 07:20 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've long believed that first-time Drivers' License applicants, no matter what their age (but especially teens just starting out), as part of their training, should have to spend at least one Friday or Saturday evening at the local hospital emergency room to see the results of driving intoxicated, too fast for conditions, drag racing, road rage, and aggressive driving. If they DID, IMO, the repeat rate of accidents like this would be far lower than it is today.
Driver's Ed courses in California used to show a film called Red Asphalt. Basically it showed very graphic scenes from real accidents that included horrible injuries and bodies that were just ripped apart. Think of it like those Scared Straight programs they used to show on TV. Unfortunately the PC police caught on and I don't believe many schools show it anymore. Even when I saw it 6 years ago they had toned it down considerably.
Old 05-07-10, 07:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen K
Driver's Ed courses in California used to show a film called Red Asphalt. Basically it showed very graphic scenes from real accidents that included horrible injuries and bodies that were just ripped apart. Think of it like those Scared Straight programs they used to show on TV. Unfortunately the PC police caught on and I don't believe many schools show it anymore. Even when I saw it 6 years ago they had toned it down considerably.
Yes, I saw it decades ago.
Old 05-07-10, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Yeah...when I was in school, decades ago, it was a film called "Signal 30". The film you mention here is probably similiar.

The main problem is that many teens, and young people, have the "I'm invincible.....it can't happen to me" attitude. The proliferation of safety features in modern vehicles (especially in such safety-oriented brands as Volvo and Mercedes) has only hardened this attitude somewhat. Still, it is not a total waste of time......some kids (as I did, decades ago) DO listen.
Old 05-07-10, 09:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
ugh terrible. Another reason why I won't ever own a convertible (softtop anyway)
Interesting note on the Vette convertible which does not have rollover protection for occupants.

Modern convertibles today built by Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and Volvo do have active/passive rollover protection systems and hardware.

The fact that the top itself is soft or hard is not what differentiates the convertibles that offer rollover protection versus those that do not (like the 'Vette and 'Stang for example).
Old 05-07-10, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Interesting note on the Vette convertible which does not have rollover protection for occupants.

Modern convertibles today built by Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and Volvo do have active/passive rollover protection systems and hardware.
That's one of the reasons (among several), why a 'Vette convertible generally does not cost as much as equivalent convertibles from these upmarket European brands. Of course, cars as low-slung as the Corvette have, by virtue of their low center-of-gravity and stiff suspensions, a decent amount of roll-over resistance to start with. You've got to do something really dumb...or have the misfortune to hit an obstacle sliding sideways pretty fast....to flip one over to start with.
Old 05-07-10, 09:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That's one of the reasons (among several), why a 'Vette convertible generally does not cost as much as equivalent convertibles from these upmarket European brands. Of course, cars as low-slung as the Corvette have, by virtue of their low center-of-gravity and stiff suspensions, a decent amount of roll-over resistance to start with. You've got to do something really dumb...or have the misfortune to hit an obstacle sliding sideways pretty fast....to flip one over to start with.

Yes, cost/styling/engineering are factors. But examples of convertible cars cheaper than a typical Vette include Boxster, Miata and Mini that do offer adequate rollover protection. GM chose to this shortcut, but many of us are not supporting it.
Old 05-07-10, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV

The fact that the top itself is soft or hard is not what differentiates the convertibles that offer rollover protection versus those that do not (like the 'Vette and 'Stang for example).
Good point. They have bars that pop up in a rollover right?

Old 05-07-10, 09:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good point. They have bars that pop up in a rollover right?
Mercedes, BMW 4 seaters, Porsche 911 have bars that pop up.

Many 2 seater 'verts have permanent roll bars behind front seats (example being Boxster) which is lower cost method of providing similar protections. I would advise GM to use this design on the 'Vette, given the engineering expertise is less involved and it would still look good (it can be done in stylish way) on a roadster configuration.
Old 05-07-10, 09:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
News reports around 8:00AM reported the driver was female & 2 were peds.
OMG, with 2 kids in the car, the stupid driver drove that fast
Old 05-07-10, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I personally think that built-in, fixed roll-bars make more sense than the sensor-activated, pop-up ones. They are cheaper to produce, cannot fail to operate at a critial split-second, will probably never be the subject of a recall, and, if done right, don't detract from the car's looks or aerodynamic cleanliness much.
Old 05-07-10, 10:08 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I personally think that built-in, fixed roll-bars make more sense than the sensor-activated, pop-up ones. They are cheaper to produce, cannot fail to operate at a critial split-second, will probably never be the subject of a recall, and, if done right, don't detract from the car's looks or aerodynamic cleanliness much.
I agree with the points from a engineering and reliability standpoint only.

But the realities of the market for expensive/good-looking/safe 4 seater convertibles requires a pop-up design to achieve the necessary style. Fixed rollbars on 4 seaters are ugly, one rare example was the past/previous version of the Mini convertible, which did detract from the looks and aero cleanliness.

Therefore on cars with a back seat the designs used by Mercedes, Porsche, BMW work fine and look great, smart move by these companies even if the engineering involved is more expensive.
The systems are reliable too.

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-07-10 at 10:12 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-07-10, 10:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
No wonder the authorities think booze was involved.....
Old 05-07-10, 10:23 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Where did kids come from? This story I found say that all 4 were in the car and there's no mention of kids.

http://cbs2.com/local/4.killed.Van.2.1678067.html

Quick Reply: Grisly Corvette crash in Van Nuys; 4 killed