Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Grisly Corvette crash in Van Nuys; 4 killed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
OMG, the stupid driver drove that fast
Originally Posted by IS-SV
The driver may have been drinking, authorities said.
Alcohol, and the impaired-judgement that it brings, in this case, would not surprise me at all. This accident happened shortly after midnight...during what is considered the most dangerous driving period of the day (midnight-3 AM). That is the time period when the results of an evening of partying/binging usually start to really take effect.
Old 05-07-10, 10:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
Where did kids come from? This story I found say that all 4 were in the car and there's no mention of kids.

http://cbs2.com/local/4.killed.Van.2.1678067.html
I quoted it from byprodrive
Old 05-07-10, 12:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

very bad crash. WOW> Still not as bad as the 9 bikers in Phoenix who were all run over and killed by a huge dump truck that didnt stop for the light.
In both casesI bet alcohol or drugs were involved
Old 05-07-10, 02:52 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting note on the Vette convertible which does not have rollover protection for occupants.

Modern convertibles today built by Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and Volvo do have active/passive rollover protection systems and hardware.

The fact that the top itself is soft or hard is not what differentiates the convertibles that offer rollover protection versus those that do not (like the 'Vette and 'Stang for example).
The Vette Convertible (C5 and C6) are actually THE ONLY convertibles allowed at the Texas Mile without a roll bar installed. The reason is that the A-pillar is so reinforced that it withstands a rollover and this has been proven in numerous tests by GM engineers.

Bottom line is that this was a tragic accident that would have resulted in disaster no matter what was being driven under similar conditions.
Old 05-07-10, 03:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 260hpTypeS
The Vette Convertible (C5 and C6) are actually THE ONLY convertibles allowed at the Texas Mile without a roll bar installed. The reason is that the A-pillar is so reinforced that it withstands a rollover and this has been proven in numerous tests by GM engineers.

Bottom line is that this was a tragic accident that would have resulted in disaster no matter what was being driven under similar conditions.
Good info, wow that's an interesting way to achieve rollover safety on a convertible (A-pillar strength only). Not sure I'd want the scalp damage that results, but that's not a factor on the Texas Mile because helmets are required. Also I read a majority of tracks do not exempt the Vette convertible without a roll bar. Since convertibles are exempt from government roof crush standards, I guess we have to trust GM on testing results.

Too bad about the victims in photographed Vette. I agree with bottom line.

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-07-10 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-07-10, 04:31 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Dosen't that car have very active driver safety controls to kick in to help maintain the stability of the Corvette?
Old 05-07-10, 06:56 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
OMG, with 2 kids in the car, the stupid driver drove that fast
Eh? Peds = Pedestrians... not children.
Old 05-07-10, 07:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Interesting note on the Vette convertible which does not have rollover protection for occupants.

Modern convertibles today built by Porsche, Mercedes, BMW and Volvo do have active/passive rollover protection systems and hardware.

The fact that the top itself is soft or hard is not what differentiates the convertibles that offer rollover protection versus those that do not (like the 'Vette and 'Stang for example).
meh even so, just call it a superstition thing with me
Old 05-07-10, 07:40 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Originally Posted by RX469
Dosen't that car have very active driver safety controls to kick in to help maintain the stability of the Corvette?
The Vette has 2 systems: traction and active handling and there are different settings: competition mode, traction off mode, and all on. It is amazingly effective at catching you at the limit without intruding on the fun when in competition mode. However, the Vette in the hands of a novice driver is a recipe for disaster.
Old 05-07-10, 08:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I spent many hours at that curve watching trains. The pitch of the street is opposite of what it should be for the degree of curve. Instead of being canted upward around the edges, it cants down. So if one was driving like a total jerk (Corvette), it's quite easy to lose control at one of the esses. Then with the rough and uneven railroad crossing, it's enough to set the car loose. A Corvette with no popping roll bar doesn't help either.
Bottom line- tragic, but one of the dumbest driving moves in the Valley in a long time. This person could have also hit other innocent drivers nearby (myself included), so I have no sympathy at all. Sorry.

P.S. Metrolink trains were in fact delayed with slow-orders.
Old 05-07-10, 09:21 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ..

that's horrible... gotta be careful.. there's places to speed and most other places drive and obey the law... wanna speed like that track ... and don't drink & drive.... not worth it...
Old 05-08-10, 10:37 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I like where my head is right now thank you very much. No convertible for me.

Where CR? They should put a do not buy on Corvettes because of this problem.

My condolences to the family and friends man thats no way to go :/
Old 05-08-10, 10:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Eh? Peds = Pedestrians... not children.
Eeekkk, thanks for the correction and sorry for the confusion. I was making an appt. for the kids (peds= pediatrics) and this came to mind........stick foot in mouth
Old 05-08-10, 01:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 260hpTypeS
The Vette has 2 systems: traction and active handling and there are different settings: competition mode, traction off mode, and all on. It is amazingly effective at catching you at the limit without intruding on the fun when in competition mode. However, the Vette in the hands of a novice driver is a recipe for disaster.
sounds like the Camaro SS I had on vacation. It had 3 different setting