Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for another car... what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 12:25 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

People need to be more honest about their cars. The owner told me the M45 I went to look at was like new, but when I get there its a POS. The paint wasn't taken care of, the interior was horrible, and the services records he said he had couldn't be found. I told the guy his description was a joke. Clearly he is crazy. This is the 3rd car that I have looked at over the past few years where the description is completely wrong. I looked at 2 LS400s in the past few years that were described as perfect. One had been in a major accident with frame damage, but the guy claimed he didn't know anything about it even though he was the original owner. This was on a 95 LS400. I also looked at a 98 LS400 that was also described as cleanest LS400 you'll find in So Cal. I was interested b/c it only has 45,000 miles. Again get out there and am shocked at what I see. It was blatantly obvious the right rear panel had been painted. This guy again claimed to know nothing about it, but I understood since he was selling the car for the estate of some older woman and probably didn't know the history of the car. He did tell me someone was driving down from the Bay area to buy the car sight unseen. I told him he needs to let the guy know the car was in an accident, which he said he would although I highly doubt it. Anyways this has nothing to do with the original post but just needed to vent. When I sell any of my cars I tell about everything, even down to a little rock chip or crease in the leather. Maybe im just super ****. So I guess i'll keep looking.
Old 05-12-10, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
People need to be more honest about their cars. The owner told me the M45 I went to look at was like new, but when I get there its a POS.
Come on. You don't REALLY mean there are dishonest people with used cars, do you?

Seriously, the long-shady practice of selling used cars, both privately and at dealerships, was one of the compelling reasons why the auto manufacturers started the whole program of Certified Pre-Owned Cars. On the average, they cost a little more than Non-Certifieds, because of the roughly 150-step reconditioning process they go through, but are a far safer bet, and often have special warranties as well. Still, I've seen some "Certified" cars that I still did not find very impressive (but my standards, of course, are pretty high...I notice scratches, dings, driving imperfections, and little things that a lot of people don't).

Most of the people here at CL are pretty honest and consciencious (or at least more so than the public at large). And you should see the files, records and paperwork that I keep with any car that I own. I normally clean it throughly once every 2-3 weeks or so, inside and out. In many ways it is like new.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-12-10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 03:39 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Im the same way. I even keep gas recipets to show that premium was used. I shampoo my mats everytime I wash the car, condition the leather every 3-4 months, and have a major detail once or twice a year. I sold my 2001 IS300 last year with 150,000 miles. The guy who bought it looked at it a week before he bought it. The first time he saw it he said the mileage was too high. Well I got a call a week later saying he was looking at some IS300s with half the mileage of mine, but none of them were in as good conition. He was out 3 hours later with cash. I had a huge folder with all records, even some that didn't matter like touch up paint, and new mats. I look for that when buying a new car which is why it takes me so long to find one. Most people who baby their cars don't sell them.
Old 05-12-10, 04:59 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 2007 GS350 owner and will definitely get a Hyundai Genesis this fall. A far superior car in almost every respect. It reminds me of the quality that Lexus had in the 1990s - Very close to my 1999 GS300. Lexus quality has slipped. No doubt about it. The Genesis is for real.
Old 05-12-10, 07:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

What about the Mustang V6? 300+HP and 31 mpg.. Saw the commerical tonight.. Looked really good..
Old 05-12-10, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by COOLIS
People need to be more honest about their cars. The owner told me the M45 I went to look at was like new, but when I get there its a POS. The paint wasn't taken care of, the interior was horrible, and the services records he said he had couldn't be found. I told the guy his description was a joke. Clearly he is crazy. This is the 3rd car that I have looked at over the past few years where the description is completely wrong. I looked at 2 LS400s in the past few years that were described as perfect. One had been in a major accident with frame damage, but the guy claimed he didn't know anything about it even though he was the original owner. This was on a 95 LS400. I also looked at a 98 LS400 that was also described as cleanest LS400 you'll find in So Cal. I was interested b/c it only has 45,000 miles. Again get out there and am shocked at what I see. It was blatantly obvious the right rear panel had been painted. This guy again claimed to know nothing about it, but I understood since he was selling the car for the estate of some older woman and probably didn't know the history of the car. He did tell me someone was driving down from the Bay area to buy the car sight unseen. I told him he needs to let the guy know the car was in an accident, which he said he would although I highly doubt it. Anyways this has nothing to do with the original post but just needed to vent. When I sell any of my cars I tell about everything, even down to a little rock chip or crease in the leather. Maybe im just super ****. So I guess i'll keep looking.
Sorry to hear that.