Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for another car... what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 07:23 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Looking for another car... what should I get?

Well I have a 2002 GS430 which currently has 105,000 miles and last month I bought a 2002 ES300 with 35K miles. Not a huge fan of the ES300, but I bought it because of the low miles. I also knew it would do good on gas since drive so much. Well the car has ceased to impress me so I want to look for something with more power. I have around $15K to spend. Im open to other makes and have been focusing on a G35 coupe or a 2003+ Q45. I know completely different cars, but I like both. I wouldn't mind a BMW either, but I think I want to stick with Japanese because of reliability. Does anyone have an opinion on another car I should look into?
Old 05-07-10, 07:26 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we need a couple more parameters, more power and ________
Old 05-07-10, 07:43 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want something less lux with lots of go, you could consider a turbo Subie or Mazdaspeed 3.
Old 05-07-10, 08:00 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

These are what comes to mind for me.

98-00' LS - decent amount of power, nice styling and have money left over.
E36/46 BMW's - E46's, you might be able to find a few around your price range, just have to make sure they were maintained properly.
G35 - not much to say here, fits your range and has some power and luxury.
STi/EVO - I haven't browsed SCE in a bit but I saw some clean EVO's for around 15k, all power though. Doubt this really fits into what your looking for but oh well.

Like Faymester said, we are going to need more parameters to help give you some choices.
Old 05-07-10, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Well I have a 2002 GS430 which currently has 105,000 miles and last month I bought a 2002 ES300 with 35K miles. Not a huge fan of the ES300, but I bought it because of the low miles. I also knew it would do good on gas since drive so much. Well the car has ceased to impress me so I want to look for something with more power. I have around $15K to spend. Im open to other makes and have been focusing on a G35 coupe or a 2003+ Q45. I know completely different cars, but I like both. I wouldn't mind a BMW either, but I think I want to stick with Japanese because of reliability. Does anyone have an opinion on another car I should look into?
If you want more power the G35 coupe is not really faster than a GS 430 and the Q45 has more hp but is slower.

Used E46 M3 should do the trick.

Old 05-07-10, 08:41 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you want more power the G35 coupe is not really faster than a GS 430 and the Q45 has more hp but is slower.

Used E46 M3 should do the trick.
I wanted to say E46 M3, but I thought everyone would say 'yea, just because you have one' ... lolz
Old 05-08-10, 06:09 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

G35 Coupe or Sedan would fit the bill. Also an IS300 if you don't mind a small cramped back seat and gas guzzling.
Old 05-08-10, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
G35 Coupe or Sedan would fit the bill. Also an IS300 if you don't mind a small cramped back seat and gas guzzling.
The IS300, yes, is gas-guzzing for a 6 (I know....I had one), but probably won't use any more gas than the GS430 he had before. He also stated he wants more power.....the IS300 doesn't have much, if any, more power then the ES he also had, and certainly not as much as the GS430.

I have around $15K to spend. Im open to other makes and have been focusing on a G35 coupe or a 2003+ Q45. I know completely different cars, but I like both. I wouldn't mind a BMW either, but I think I want to stick with Japanese because of reliability. Does anyone have an opinion on another car I should look into?
A used Q45 (for the few that are out there) would probably be a good deal because of their relative unpopularity and high depreciation. But consider the flip side...it will also probably be difficult to resell if you decide, after a while, that you want something else.

Also consider the Q45's weight. This is a BIG car, and while it does have some power, its weight (at least with a stock engine) will probably keep it from having the performance you want. It will get out of its own way, but it is not a drag-racer.

Since, for 15K, you want to have some power and stick with a Japanese make, I agree with caddyowner's suggestion....look at turbo Subarus and Mazdas. If you want a small coupe, the Scion tC with the optional dealer-installed, factory-approved supercharger might be a good bet. Turbos, though, on a used car, can sometimes take a beating......have them checked out by a technician if you decide to buy one, use synthetic or Turbo-Approved oil, and consider an extended warranty.

If you want to avoid turbos and superchargers, the G35 mentioned by several posters is a good possibility. And, if you are willing to take a reliability chance with a BMW, for daily driving, I've always liked the 335i (even more than the M3), but it may be difficult to find one in the price range you are looking at. They also have fuel-pump and electronice/hardware issues. The 335i also has twin-turbos.

If the 335 is too much, a 2004 330i, though, with average mileage, would fit right into that price range, though. http://kbb.com

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-08-10 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-08-10, 03:14 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

More power and better handling? Does that help? The reason I don't like the ES300 is because it literally has almost zero feedback. Ive had an IS300, RX300, LS400 and a Mercedes E430. I loved the IS300 but im a big dude and when I have people in the car it was hell for everyone. I would love an M3 but it seems like most of them around 15K in my area have salvaged titles. The GS430 in my opinion is perfect. I have had it for around 8 months now and have put 30,000 miles on it. Im looking for something with around 40-50K miles to use as a daily driver. For some reason im a stickler for big lux sedans, hence why I wanted the Q45. It reminds me of the LS430, but looks like a younger person would drive it. 3 of my friends drive WRXs, and athough they're great cars I wouldn't want one. The G35 coupe is my second contender. I know its a small car, but I can use the GS when I need to take people around.
Old 05-08-10, 05:22 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Well you're options are pretty tight. You can look into Acura TLs but they're FWD so not sure if that even interest you lol
Old 05-08-10, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

More power and better handling? Does that help? The reason I don't like the ES300 is because it literally has almost zero feedback.
The ES wasn't designed as a "Drivers" car for road/steering feel and handling precision. It was meant to be a cocoon-like, quiet, refined car to drive home in, relaxed, at the end of a hard day....sort of like a mini-LS with FWD.

For some reason im a stickler for big lux sedans, hence why I wanted the Q45. It reminds me of the LS430, but looks like a younger person would drive it.
Age here is not really an issue.....more younger people, at least in my area, drive around in LS models that one would think. We also have many LS owners right here, in CL, that are not particularly old. The LS now even has a "Sport" package that increases its appeal some to those who are younger and more driver-centered.

But I agree with you on the Q45 generally attracting a different sort of driver. In general, its handling is a step or two above that of the average LS. Q45's (when you can find them) also sell at rather low prices because of their steep depreciation. But, as I mentioned earler, that can be a bane if you go to sell one yourself.

(They also sold quite cheaply, for a car their size, even brand-new. I remember, at a local Infiniti shop, when I was reviewing (I think) an EX35, the salespeople offered me a brand-new Q45 in the showroom, listing at some 56K, for only 38K, though they may have been B.S.-ing).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-08-10 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 06:14 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck just grab a 01-03 ls430 sport suspension, or put some coilovers on it, but you might want more power. Cause the 04-06 is not in that price range.
Old 05-08-10, 11:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

E39 BMW 540i with 6-Speed manual.
Old 05-09-10, 12:41 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

What do you plan on doing with the ES300 in the meantime, are you gonna get rid of it
Old 05-09-10, 12:32 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

2010 Volkwagen GTI.

Quick Reply: Looking for another car... what should I get?