Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aston Martin announces plans to sell V12 Vantage in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 07:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Aston Martin announces plans to sell V12 Vantage in the U.S.

Aston Martin announces plans to sell V12 Vantage in the U.S.

Aston Martin has finally answering your prayers... assuming that you, like us, have been offering up daily supplications asking that the crew from Graydon to send over its V12 Vantage to those of us living in the good ol' United States of America.

Specs? Here goes: 6.0-liter V12 engine producing 510 horsepower, and 420 pound-feet of torque with a top speed of 190 mph and a 0-62 mph time of 4.2 seconds. Not bad. But Aston is also claiming that its newly muscled Vantage is also "our most agile model with our most powerful engine," adding that it "represents the definitive Aston Martin driving experience."

According to the automaker, some subtle changes were necessary to the structure of the car in order for it to meet North and South American regulations. In addition to these enhancements, Aston has also announced that it will be adding a new Carbon Black version of the V12 Vantage exclusively for the American market.

Included in the dark and sinister makeover will be "a bespoke Carbon Black metallic paint with a subtle metallic twist to create a deep rich patina; painstakingly created through a hand painting process taking 50 man hours." Further, the side strake will be fashioned from carbon fiber, wheels will be gloss black 10-spoke diamond-turned alloys and a bright finished grille will be featured up front.

Inside, you'll see plenty of Obsidian Black leather highlighted with contrasting hand stitching in silver. Piano black interior trim will join black tread plates and unique sill plaques, and a 700w Premium Audio System will be standard equipment. Ordering begins right about now and initial deliveries are slated for fourth quarter of 2010. Want to know more? Check out our high-res image gallery below and then hit the jump for the press release.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/aston...ntage/#2134779

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/07/a...ge-in-the-u-s/
Old 05-07-10, 07:35 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just watching the top gear episode with this car today.
Old 05-07-10, 08:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be nice...
Old 05-07-10, 08:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
I was just watching the top gear episode with this car today.
I love that episode, because in the 5 minutes or so we see Jeremy driving this car, I've never seen/heard him so quiet. He literally has no complaints or criticisms. He seems so content and in love with that car. Not many machine can silence Jeremy Clarkson.. haha
Old 05-07-10, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

great move. with the soft exotic market these days and the current price tag on the dbs, a v12 vantage will definitely help to come in as a better "bargain". i wonder how much it's going to be compared to the current available vantage and the db9.

i didn't follow very well on the v12 vantage, i wonder how it's compared to the v8 version. i assume the v12 will make it heavier up front
Old 05-08-10, 05:49 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

If this comes in at $283K as rumored....

If under $200K.... would take it over the V8V at $140K or the Boxster Spyder at $75K...
Old 05-08-10, 07:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
If this comes in at $283K as rumored....

If under $200K.... would take it over the V8V at $140K or the Boxster Spyder at $75K...
huh?! 283k?!?! that would be very expensive right? how much for the dbs?
Old 05-08-10, 07:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I'd still take the DBS regardless, much better road presence
Old 05-08-10, 08:33 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Last time I was on the AM forums the DBS was around 290k - 320k.

I think the V12V would definitely be over 200k, AM does not look like the kind of car maker that would make a cheap V12 car. Even the DB9 is MSRP at 260k.

Given the price of the LP Gallardo and the entry level Ferrari, I don't think AM would price the V12V below 200k.
Old 05-08-10, 09:40 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a sportscar or superGT like DBS? If it's like DBS it doesn't make sense.
I know AM tried to make Vantage a sportscar but they didn't quite achieve that, instead they made one fine agile GT like Gran Turismo.
Old 05-08-10, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks to me like a classic marketing gamble. They're rolling the dice in a crap shoot.

I'm not necessarily saying that the car WON'T sell, but it seems to me that, in the U.S., the iffy economy right now, high unemployment, tight money/credit, a projected 200K+ price, and the traditional sparseness of Aston dealers doesn't bode well for a new V12 sports/GT car of this magnitude. It would probably have to be a limited-production run, mostly by special-order. And, at the same time, of course, Aston will be trying to market its four-door Rapide sedan as a possible Porsche Panamera competitor.

If they only do a limited-production run of, say, a few hundered, though, they probably will sell out. But then the question arises if that will be enough to make any buisness sense in the American market, and if the projected revenues will exceed the expenses of conversion to American-specs. Once again, it will be a roll of the dice.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-08-10 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 05:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
$283k is probably the British conversion (which does not translate well into U.S. prices, because they automatically add like 15-20% sales tax on cars).

A DBS is $270k. The V8 Vantage is $120k for the coupe, $140k for the ragtop. A V12 Vantage should therefore be around $200k.

For pure exclusivity and indulgence, it's gonna sell. People that buy a car like this don't fall into the category of people that were hit by the economy. Rich folk stay rich...
Old 05-08-10, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For pure exclusivity and indulgence, it's gonna sell. People that buy a car like this don't fall into the category of people that were hit by the economy. Rich folk stay rich...
Well, you may be right...we'll see. Tossing the dice doesn't always mean one will lose. Still, I would have been more confident in a car like this several years ago than today.
Old 05-08-10, 09:39 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

It's not like they had to spend a lot on R&D developing this car. I'm sure they'll make money on it.
Old 05-08-10, 10:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jackblack7
It's not like they had to spend a lot on R&D developing this car. I'm sure they'll make money on it.
it depends on whether they did anything else besides sticking a v12 into the car

Quick Reply: Aston Martin announces plans to sell V12 Vantage in the U.S.