Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All hail the cartridge filter! 2011 Chevrolet Cruze makes changing oil a breeze

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 03:36 PM
LexFather

Post All hail the cartridge filter! 2011 Chevrolet Cruze makes changing oil a breeze

THought DIY guys might like this read

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/13/a...-makes-changi/

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Engines Use Eco-friendly Cartridge Oil Filter

2010-05-10

The 2011 Chevrolet Cruze will make proper oil filter disposal and recycling easier. The Ecotec 1.4L turbo and 1.8L four-cylinder engines will use a cartridge style oil filter which is easier to recycle and service compared to the conventional steel canister-style oil filters.

Recycling canister style filters requires that the metal housing and other elements, like the rubber seal, be cut away or separated, whereas the compact cartridge style is made of only paper and plastic. Because of this, proper disposal of the oil filter is easier for recycling centers.

Another benefit of the cartridge-style filter is that it can be changed easily and is virtually drip free from the top of the vehicle. This lessens the chance of oil dripping to the ground or driveway and possibly making its way into the water system when performing oil changes.

The housing for the cartridge-style filter is part of the engine and reused for the life of the engine. It never needs replacing. The housing also has a screw-on replaceable cap that eliminates the conventional canister-to-engine mating surface that is a potential source of leaks.

To find out more on how and where to properly recycle oil filters go to www.filtercouncil.org.

Old 05-13-10, 04:08 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh nice.

so who's gonna start making them except Chevy OEM manufacturers?

how much will this cost?
Old 05-13-10, 04:15 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

benz has been using this for a while now lol.

and a experience person doesnt get oil on their fingers from the plug .
Old 05-13-10, 05:16 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior

+1 Yawn.

Heck I know even some Saturns had the cartridge filter, although it was still mounted on the bottom.
Old 05-13-10, 05:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Looks nice on a stripped down photo. Might be a whole different scenario after all the emissions and similar hoses are put into the engine bay. Not to mention it is a FWD so it may be in that front corner or in the back. Back won't be fun.
Old 05-13-10, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Heck I know even some Saturns had the cartridge filter, although it was still mounted on the bottom.
Are you sure you aren't confusing the cartridge filter with the old spin-off transmission filter and the transmission-fluid drain-plug that was used on the Saturn plastic-body S-series? Those were two of several features I really liked on the S-series...it made transmission service MUCH easier and less-messy. You just unscrewed it, cleaned and replaced the magnet ring inside, and screwed the new transmission filter back on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-10 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So has BMW, in a least some of their models. But I wouldn't "LOL" this.....I think Mike did us a favor by posting this. It's nice to know that entry-level cars from GM, not just upmarket Benzes and BMWs, are going to use this device.

The Cruze will also (probably) give you a simple but effective dipstick where you can actually LOOK at the oil, instead of having to depend on potentially unreliable and risky sensors/monitors like on upmarket German cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 07:00 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

I am pretty sure the 05 Cobalt has this same system too...not exactly new tech even as far as Chevy is concerned.
Old 05-13-10, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TCM55
I am pretty sure the 05 Cobalt has this same system too...not exactly new tech even as far as Chevy is concerned.
No, the idea is not new by any means, but, as the article points out, it has several advantages. I'm in favor of them myself, as long as the cartridges are reasonably-priced and parts-departments don't make a killing off of them. With conventional spin-off filters, aftermarket ones like Lee, Purolator, Fram, etc.....can often be found for most cars; that may or may not be the case with cartridges.
Old 05-13-10, 08:04 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wife's 07 Santa Fe V6 has this....it's right on top, right up front...right where it should be. Great setup
Old 05-13-10, 08:13 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get oil on my hands on purpose.
Old 05-13-10, 08:42 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That oil filter arrangement is very similar to that of the 09 Hyundai Genesis (3.8 L V-6) that I have owned for almost a year now. The layout does make it much easier to change the filter without making a big mess. (This is in comparison with one of the messiest oil filter changes I have ever encountered - my wife's 94 Lexus ES. There is no way to remove this filter without making a gigantic mess.)

But there are negatives to this oil filter setup. Apparently, it is difficult to put an anti-drainback feature in cartridge-type filters. When the filter sits vertically near the top of the engine (such as in the example shown and in the V-6 Genesis), the oil in the filter drains back into the oil pan when the engine is shut off. This causes a delay in buildup of oil pressure when the car is cranked. This is noticeable in the Genesis by the engine noise, especially in cold weather. This may, or may not, affect engine longevity. I would assume that the auto manufacturers that are doing this filter layout have addressed this issue and are satisfied that delayed full oil pressure is not a significant problem.

Another negative is that the oil drainback makes it difficult to read the oil dipstick. After the car sits for a few minutes, the dipstick on my Genesis reads about 1/2 inch above full. This occurs despite my making certain that I put in the exact amount of oil called for in the specs (5.5 qts.) when I do an oil change.
Old 05-13-10, 09:12 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you sure you aren't confusing the cartridge filter with the old spin-off transmission filter and the transmission-fluid drain-plug that was used on the Saturn plastic-body S-series? Those were two of several features I really liked on the S-series...it made transmission service MUCH easier and less-messy. You just unscrewed it, cleaned and replaced the magnet ring inside, and screwed the new transmission filter back on.

Well I know the V6 in my L300 beater uses the cartridge type. It's tiny though.

But you're right, I'm glad this is catching on in cars like the Cruze. I'm surprised the majority of oil filters aren't this design by now.
Old 05-13-10, 10:09 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, the idea is not new by any means, but, as the article points out, it has several advantages. I'm in favor of them myself, as long as the cartridges are reasonably-priced and parts-departments don't make a killing off of them. With conventional spin-off filters, aftermarket ones like Lee, Purolator, Fram, etc.....can often be found for most cars; that may or may not be the case with cartridges.
I'm excited to test out this type of set up. I will be changing the oil & filter cartridge in my sister in law's 05 Cobalt in the next couple of weeks, and I want to see how the whole process will be like, compared to traditional filters, including looking for the cartridges.
Old 05-13-10, 10:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think this design is only new to this model. Cartridge filters are nothing new. No need to "hail" anything. LOL. I do think the design is simple and effective. I hope that the entire industry switches to this format. I wonder if there are any disadvantages to this design in terms of engine design etc. Cool to see some of these benz and bimmerish features trickling down into the lower end vehicles like GM

Quick Reply: All hail the cartridge filter! 2011 Chevrolet Cruze makes changing oil a breeze