Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What to buy for 50K?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 02:34 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
That's great to hear. Please take pictures on arrival.
Nice choice. The new Jag's are very impressive. A buddy of mine has a white one and he loves it to death. I really love the interior, it blew me away the first time I sat in the car.
Old 06-08-10, 08:39 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres some teaser shots..just brought her home..shes a little dirty though...shes a 09 with 12K miles..extended.warranty to June 2015

Last edited by MannyRCF; 06-08-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-08-10, 08:58 PM
LexFather

Congrats and thanks for keeping us updated

Old 06-09-10, 09:22 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good pick! although your bro has good taste but difficult to entertain.
Old 06-09-10, 11:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Beautiful car, enjoy it!
Old 06-09-10, 12:11 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love that car
Old 06-09-10, 12:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done, beautiful car. Congrats.
Old 06-09-10, 01:34 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Congrats again.

Would love to hear some feedback on the purchase process, dealer service, reliability, driving dynamics, etc. if you have time. Really digging the upcoming XKR but have no familiarity with Jag.
Old 06-09-10, 06:55 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Congrats again.

Would love to hear some feedback on the purchase process, dealer service, reliability, driving dynamics, etc. if you have time. Really digging the upcoming XKR but have no familiarity with Jag.

Thanks everyone...purchase process was simple really...found the car on cars.com,flew down spent the day in Cali..bought the car and shipped it back,had to get the dealer to activate day time running lights,also had to pay $250 for the recall clearance letter...took it to the Land Rover/Jaguar dealer in Richmond...dealt with Mike in Service..A1 service thus far...cant say much about reliability but can tell you this much that this thing handles and pushes hard...love the car..the interior is just awesome...reliability will be determined over time..
Old 06-09-10, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congragulations. The XF is a beautiful car, inside and out, though I found the rotary shift-**** and parking-brake-tab rather quirky. Still, a car that you can show off just about anywhere.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I strongly suggest getting any additional warranty coverage.
Probably a good idea, if you are going to keep it past the factory warranty period. Jags, though beautiful, are generally not known for Toyota-Honda reliability.

Originally Posted by CDROCKIES
Would love to hear some feedback on the purchase process, dealer service, reliability, driving dynamics, etc.
The best feedback, of course, will probably come from Manny735 after he has owned it awhile, but, in the meantime (for what little it's worth) Here's a full-review I did on a N/A XF a while back. The S/C model, of course, has a more potent drivertrain and suspension/wheels, so some of the regular XF comments won't apply.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...jaguar-xf.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-09-10 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 10:16 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Manny735
Thanks everyone...purchase process was simple really...found the car on cars.com,flew down spent the day in Cali..bought the car and shipped it back,had to get the dealer to activate day time running lights,also had to pay $250 for the recall clearance letter...took it to the Land Rover/Jaguar dealer in Richmond...dealt with Mike in Service..A1 service thus far...cant say much about reliability but can tell you this much that this thing handles and pushes hard...love the car..the interior is just awesome...reliability will be determined over time..
Thanks! I appreciate the insight. Care to tell us what the percentage you had to pay for duty? I assume that they tacked on 5% for GST and then I've heard 6%ish for duty? Did they also charge you PST bringing it back?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The best feedback, of course, will probably come from Manny735 after he has owned it awhile, but, in the meantime (for what little it's worth) Here's a full-review I did on a N/A XF a while back. The S/C model, of course, has a more potent drivertrain and suspension/wheels, so some of the regular XF comments won't apply.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...jaguar-xf.html
Thanks Mike! I hadn't seen that one....another good read.
Old 06-10-10, 11:26 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Thanks! I appreciate the insight. Care to tell us what the percentage you had to pay for duty? I assume that they tacked on 5% for GST and then I've heard 6%ish for duty? Did they also charge you PST bringing it back?

Thanks Mike! I hadn't seen that one....another good read.

6.1% Duty...PST has to be paid when you insure the car...all in all...came out about 8K ahead buying for the States...got a small vacation out of it as well...getting pretty good at this now...imported my LS in April..any questions regarding importing for us Canadians...please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 08-04-10, 07:23 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

I went from

2008 IS-F, lowered, 220 shot of nitrous (2 years)

to

Infiniti FX50 Sport + Tech ( < 2 months)

to

2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged

I still miss the IS-F, but I outgrew it. The FX50 was just a big mistake. Horrible, horrible transmission map. The XF-S is an absolute joy to drive, but in the few months I have had it I have had many issues - it has spent almost 2 full weeks in service within the first 30 days of ownership. I still love the car/design/power/etc, but the build quality leaves a LOT to be desired... Just my $0.02
Old 08-04-10, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
The XF-S is an absolute joy to drive, but in the few months I have had it I have had many issues - it has spent almost 2 full weeks in service within the first 30 days of ownership. I still love the car/design/power/etc, but the build quality leaves a LOT to be desired... Just my $0.02
The XF, agreed, is a beautiful car. But, with any Jag, you have to expect, if not in fact, at least a strong possibility of having problems. Jags have been like that for many years.
Old 08-04-10, 07:46 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. I knew of their previous history and understood it to be largely electrical. Mine has turned into way more excitement - in the first few weeks they had to:

Re-attach the rear bumper twice
Replace the drive shaft
Replace the right rear axle
Replace the heat shield
Replace the rear camera
Replace all 4 wheels and tires (yes, really)

They had to drop the exhaust when they replaced the axle, and now the exhaust is starting to sag on the left side.

Also, the car almost stalls at idle and has actually stalled while pulling into my driveway.. I almost hit my house. Not so great. Somehow, I still love the car, though!

Quick Reply: What to buy for 50K?