Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What to buy for 50K?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
Yeah. I knew of their previous history and understood it to be largely electrical. Mine has turned into way more excitement - in the first few weeks they had to:

Re-attach the rear bumper twice
Replace the drive shaft
Replace the right rear axle
Replace the heat shield
Replace the rear camera
Replace all 4 wheels and tires (yes, really)

They had to drop the exhaust when they replaced the axle, and now the exhaust is starting to sag on the left side.

Also, the car almost stalls at idle and has actually stalled while pulling into my driveway.. I almost hit my house. Not so great. Somehow, I still love the car, though!
Some of this doesn't necessarily sound like the fault of the assembly-plant.....they shouldn't normally have had to replace that many components, that quickly. Although, of course, I hope this is not the case, it sounds like this car might (?) have suffered some damage on the transporter truck, ship, or train while on its way to the dealership.

I'm not necessarily accusing your specific dealership of doing this (we don't know the details of the car's shipping, and what did or didn't happen), but some car dealerships, when stuck with a damaged new vehicle on delivery, will try and superficially cover up the damage and then go ahead and sell it (I've also seen that with CPOs). With Jaguar's high public image and high customer-satisfation rating for dealer-treatment, this is unlikely, but it can't be ruled out.

Is the car repaired (and running) to your satisfaction now, or are you still having problems with it? If it stalls repeatedly, that is likely a safety-issue. If not adequately repaired after repeated attempts, and depending on the specific regulation in your state, you may qualify for a Lemon-Law replacement....brand-new XF, if you want to stay with Jaguar.

Good Luck........keep us posted on this car, and how things turn out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-10 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 08:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah. I knew of their previous history and understood it to be largely electrical. Mine has turned into way more excitement - in the first few weeks they had to:

Replace the drive shaft
Replace the heat shield
Replace the rear camera

They had to drop the exhaust when they replaced the axle, and now the exhaust is starting to sag on the left side.

Also, the car almost stalls at idle and has actually stalled while pulling into my driveway.. I almost hit my house. Not so great. Somehow, I still love the car, though!
Jesus

Thanks God for Lexus!
Old 08-04-10, 09:43 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the drive shaft
Replace the heat shield
Replace the rear camera

Since ownership of the Jag XF SC..the only thing we had to get replaced was the battery...other then that it drives like a dream
Old 08-05-10, 04:13 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the drive shaft
Replace the heat shield
Replace the rear camera

LOVE the Jags but you (unfortunately) nailed it... QUALITY

My brother was recalling a discussion with a tech and regional sales manager who both said they'd "never own one cuz the operational mentality hasn't changed... cross your fingers you don't get a POS. They are not consistent in their build quality and never will be, "**** poor"... it's a corporate decision not to improve assembly line so, the thinking goes, 75% run "great" without issue, 25% have issues... MANY issues. So be it..." He said consensus was decent car or lemon, there's no in-between, I have heard similar speaking with Jag owners over years, most apparently learn to live with it...

Probably main reason why they have the 5yr, 60K service... all the little things that pop up
Old 08-05-10, 08:11 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of this doesn't necessarily sound like the fault of the assembly-plant.....they shouldn't normally have had to replace that many components, that quickly. Although, of course, I hope this is not the case, it sounds like this car might (?) have suffered some damage on the transporter truck, ship, or train while on its way to the dealership.

I'm not necessarily accusing your specific dealership of doing this (we don't know the details of the car's shipping, and what did or didn't happen), but some car dealerships, when stuck with a damaged new vehicle on delivery, will try and superficially cover up the damage and then go ahead and sell it (I've also seen that with CPOs). With Jaguar's high public image and high customer-satisfation rating for dealer-treatment, this is unlikely, but it can't be ruled out.

Is the car repaired (and running) to your satisfaction now, or are you still having problems with it? If it stalls repeatedly, that is likely a safety-issue. If not adequately repaired after repeated attempts, and depending on the specific regulation in your state, you may qualify for a Lemon-Law replacement....brand-new XF, if you want to stay with Jaguar.

Good Luck........keep us posted on this car, and how things turn out.
I agree with you, I feel like the car fell off a truck on the way here.... I did immediately address the issues with the dealer (EG "if you have any knowledge of damage/repairs to this vehicle, you need to either explain it now or face a law suit later"); they insisted there is no known damage to the vehicle. I believe them as they have a pretty worthwhile reputation and would not be willing to take that big of a risk on a pretty small deal (relatively speaking; with the new XJ's being on the lot, and they are also a huge LR dealer).

The stalling issue has seemingly gone away although they were never able to diagnose it. They are also unable to diagnose the rough idle problem. The lemon idea has not been thrown out, but I honestl'y dont have the time (or patience) to go that route.... The car still can't be properly balanced, for reasons unbeknowst to me (standard dealer disclaimer: "large rims and low profile tires have these issues"; my IS-F had 19's and my FX had 21's - no balancing issues at all.... )
Old 08-05-10, 08:15 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Manny735
Since ownership of the Jag XF SC..the only thing we had to get replaced was the battery...other then that it drives like a dream
Definitely glad to hear that. I would not wish my experience upon anyone.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
LOVE the Jags but you (unfortunately) nailed it... QUALITY

My brother was recalling a discussion with a tech and regional sales manager who both said they'd "never own one cuz the operational mentality hasn't changed... cross your fingers you don't get a POS. They are not consistent in their build quality and never will be, "**** poor"... it's a corporate decision not to improve assembly line so, the thinking goes, 75% run "great" without issue, 25% have issues... MANY issues. So be it..." He said consensus was decent car or lemon, there's no in-between, I have heard similar speaking with Jag owners over years, most apparently learn to live with it...

Probably main reason why they have the 5yr, 60K service... all the little things that pop up
That's an interesting perspective that I hadn't really heard - eg, that some are trouble free and others are just riddled with issues. I'd expect it to be more of a 50/50. The OWNER of the Dealership explained to me how "Each Jaguar has its own Soul......." AKA, every one has its own unique set of issues. That was meant to be a comforting statement, but that was not comforting to me.

Originally Posted by Och
Jesus

Thanks God for Lexus!
Yup... Hopefully some day soon the GS-F will come to fruition. In the mean time, my love-hate relationship with the jag will continue on... and again, don't get me wrong.. the car is amazing, the quality is not.
Old 08-06-10, 05:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

As mentioned previously, I had sat in the new XJ about two months back and they had a black XF-R for $80K... STUNNING! I liked it better than the XJ (which I thought was TOO nice), but reliability caused me not to add to my "list" ... and your experiences (sorry to hear) only confirm.
Old 08-06-10, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The stalling issue has seemingly gone away although they were never able to diagnose it. They are also unable to diagnose the rough idle problem.

Water or dirt in the fuel can also cause that (fuel-filters will trap most dirt, but not water). My recommendations for refueling have always been to, First, use a quality name-brand fuel (Chevron and Shell are generally the two best), and, Second, don't gas up while the tanker-truck is filling up theunderground tanks. Wait at least 5 minutes after the tanker-truck has finished...or go elsewhere. That is because the high-pressure hoses on the tanker-truck stir up a lot of water and crud on the bottom of the tank (particularly if the tank is old and corroded), and that could find its way into your car if you are filling it up. After a few minutes, the water and dirt settles back down to the bottom of the underground tank.
Old 08-06-10, 11:30 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Here would be what I consider:

1. 2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
2. 2010 BMW 335i sedan
3. 2010 BMW 328i sedan fully loaded
4. 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro sedan

When you spend more than $40k to buy a car, buy a new car. Considering your friend came from a Range Rover, prestige/comfort/luxury must be pretty important.
If you go MB E-class, at least get the 550! The 350 is just plain gutless.