Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to help a friend not make a car buying mistake...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 01:21 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default How to help a friend not make a car buying mistake...

My best friend of ten years wants to buy a Honda Crosstour and I just can't let it happen! He's always had good taste in cars, but suddenly this is now close to happening. I understand he wants a versatile vehcile for carrying items and household things, but there are many better looking vehicles out there. I've told him this And he acts shocked that masses of people out there think the Crosstour is one of the ugliest cars since the Aztek. How can I get him to see it's a turd on wheels and will contribute to blite on Los Angeles roads?
-A concerned friend-
Old 05-16-10, 02:45 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell him to get a venza. looks wayyyyy better and it is versatile also.

easiest way to get him to change his mind? find some hot girls to tell him how ugly the car is.
Old 05-16-10, 04:28 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, the Crosstour is not a bad car in person. (It's hard to find a good pic of the car where it doesn't look like a pig, though.) However, it has skimpy storage for what it is. You are correct in that he should compare it with the Venza.
Old 05-16-10, 04:31 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Crosstour is one of those love it or hate it styled cars. He loves it, you hate it. It's his money so just leave it be.
Old 05-16-10, 04:37 AM
ar15guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh, the humpback looking ride....
Old 05-16-10, 07:55 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Why would anyone buy it if they're looking for versatility? The Crosstour purposely sacrifices space with a chopped roof line in the name of "style". The irony is that doing this makes it look hideous. A good set of tail lights would have gone a long way but look, they stuck ugly *** tails on it too.

Show him a picture of a 2002- Kia Rio wagon. Notice any similarities?

Old 05-16-10, 11:30 AM
phatz
Driver

show him your lexus. i know 2 faced ratt lair people who dissed the gs300, then they see my lexus and go buy a gs300 same as me,
Old 05-16-10, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
My best friend of ten years wants to buy a Honda Crosstour and I just can't let it happen! He's always had good taste in cars, but suddenly this is now close to happening. I understand he wants a versatile vehcile for carrying items and household things, but there are many better looking vehicles out there. I've told him this And he acts shocked that masses of people out there think the Crosstour is one of the ugliest cars since the Aztek. How can I get him to see it's a turd on wheels and will contribute to blite on Los Angeles roads?
-A concerned friend-
I would tell him you are trying to end our friendship. Friends don't let friends drive drunk and friends don't let friends buy ugly useless BMW knock-off Hondas with less MPG, space, versatility, performance of a Venza.

Link him the FB comments, hell most any comments on the net. Its a horrible vehicle, period.

Old 05-16-10, 12:08 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

It's not a new car, just looks like one, has the same powertrain as an older V6 Accord, going back to 2003 whatever gen accord that is

Venza it is, but then again it's his decision, but then again it bothers me how Honda's have exterior trim pieces that always come loose, I always see Honda's with weird things sticking up
Old 05-16-10, 12:26 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

i would not jeopardize a friendship over a car recommendation.
if the car you recommend ends up being a lemon, that's going to cause quite a rift in the relationship.

state your talking points on why you think such and such is a better option, but go no further.
Old 05-16-10, 01:44 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

LOL @ this thread
Old 05-16-10, 06:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really care about what car your friend buys, I would ask which car do you want to buy him? Or at least give him $10K to add to what he is planning on spending to buy the car you want him to buy. I think that would be fair.
Old 05-16-10, 06:37 PM
LexFather

Old 05-16-10, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Actually, the Crosstour is not a bad car in person. (It's hard to find a good pic of the car where it doesn't look like a pig, though.) However, it has skimpy storage for what it is. You are correct in that he should compare it with the Venza.

I'm with caddyowner here. The Crosstour is a good car, mechanically, as most Honda products are, but the rather awkward-shaped rear end does cut down on storage space a little. Yes, definitely compare it against the Venza (though the Venza's 19-20" wheels, IMO, are unnecessarily large). Ordinarily, I would recommend a Subaru Outback over either the Venza or Crosstour, but there are some quality issues with the 2010 Outback.....it's going to need at least another year or two.

If he still likes the Crosstour after comparing it to the Venza, then I see no reason not to get one. It will likely be reliable and give years of good service..........although, of course, as shyguy16 points out, any car can turn out to have problems.

I did reviews, BTW on both vehicles. Here they are:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...crosstour.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ota-venza.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-10 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 08:11 PM
phatz
Driver

Originally Posted by shyguy16
i would not jeopardize a friendship over a car recommendation.
if the car you recommend ends up being a lemon, that's going to cause quite a rift in the relationship.

state your talking points on why you think such and such is a better option, but go no further.
you can never trust friends. he might take you to court like a typical snitch and charge you with some b.s. charge.

Quick Reply: How to help a friend not make a car buying mistake...