Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

To buy it or not??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10 | 12:51 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turb0wned
That is a nice find. As for the other 2 is300 your found, it would end up costing me about the same amount as this one having to travel...
Thanks, I thought so too.

1Sick is right; manual/navi is tough to find. Here's another place to look:

http://my.is/forums/f172/
Old 05-18-10 | 01:38 PM
Turb0wned
Driver School Candidate

Something i also like is that he is a co-worker so i know how he treats the car and i know the car is good.. Imagine traveling just to get there and something is wrong with it.. And yes 5speed/Navi=SEXY.... and that blue color is also very nice with black leather... I was approved for the loan so i might just jump on it this friday..
Old 05-18-10 | 05:10 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

A co-worker of mine will sell me his 2003 Lexus IS300 5 speed manual with factory navigation. Its the metalic blue with black leather. The car is a clean title and has 85k, the least he will take is $11,500... Worth it?
I wouldn't touch it, not becuase of pricing or what it is, an 03 IS300 with a 5 speed, but because it is from a co-worker. If you buy it and it turns out there was some hidden problem you weren't aware of, whether he was aware of it or not, or perhaps just bad luck it the tranny fails or some other major repair comes up, it can lead to a real bad situation at work.

I say don't mix business with pleasure. That includes selling/buying cars from family members and co-workers. Too many headaches and not usually worth the potential hassles.

Of course if you have no problem with this type of transaction, than just be clear that what you are buying and he is selling is as is with no implied warranty or guarantee.
Old 05-18-10 | 05:38 PM
Turb0wned
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
I wouldn't touch it, not becuase of pricing or what it is, an 03 IS300 with a 5 speed, but because it is from a co-worker. If you buy it and it turns out there was some hidden problem you weren't aware of, whether he was aware of it or not, or perhaps just bad luck it the tranny fails or some other major repair comes up, it can lead to a real bad situation at work.

I say don't mix business with pleasure. That includes selling/buying cars from family members and co-workers. Too many headaches and not usually worth the potential hassles.

Of course if you have no problem with this type of transaction, than just be clear that what you are buying and he is selling is as is with no implied warranty or guarantee.
Well we work at carmax and the car has been fully inspected..... If that changes your opinion?? But yes I do see what you are saying.
Old 05-19-10 | 05:03 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Well we work at carmax and the car has been fully inspected..... If that changes your opinion?? But yes I do see what you are saying.
Well, having it inspected is a plus, as you have a pretty clear idea mechanically on what you are buying. If you do buy it, hopefully luck will be on your side and you won't need any major repairs in the near or distant future.