Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda delays Civic redesign

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 11:16 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still looks new to me.
Old 05-18-10, 11:18 AM
LexFather

I think since the current model is still relevant and still selling well, I have no issue with them moving the new model back so they can make it even better.

Also the sad thing is the Civic is the funniest vehicle they sell.

Old 05-18-10, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Me thinks that the Focus and Cruze sent Honda back to the drawing board.
Possibly the upcoming Fiesta as well, which will go head-to-head with the Honda Fit (known as the Jazz overseas). The Fit is a superb car in reliability and is generally well-built, but its styling, IMO, is ugly, looks like an egg with an insect-face on it, and the 2Gen interior seems to be more cheaply-done than the 1Gen.

This is a very suspicious delay. Honda probably initially was going to just throw out another ugly mediocre car and call it "the all new Civic", but then decided last minute that the stakes were too high to do that.
Cost-cutting may also be involved (as it is with so much of what the auto-industry does). The more often a company develops and re-tools a new design, the more it costs. Right now, a lot of companies, struggling to make a profit, simply don't have a lot of extra cash to throw around.

A classic example of what it can cost to do new models was back in the early-mid-1990s, when Ford spent some $6 billion to Americanize the European Mondeo sedan (and that didn't even include the Mondeo hatchbacks/wagons) and introduce it to the U.S. market as the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique sedans. That, of course, was at 1990's currency/dollar rates..........inflation would mean an even higher figure today.
Old 05-18-10, 04:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Also the sad thing is the Civic is the funniest vehicle they sell.
funniest or funnest?

most fun...true...Si coupe/sedan

the Accord V6 ain't too shabby either.
Old 05-18-10, 07:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Me thinks that the Focus and Cruze sent Honda back to the drawing board.

This is a very suspicious delay. Honda probably initially was going to just throw out another ugly mediocre car and call it "the all new Civic", but then decided last minute that the stakes were too high to do that. Ford is really out-Honda-ing Honda and I think Honda finally realizes the real threat that Ford is to them. All in all this is good for consumers. More good cars to choose from nowadays with competition so fierce.
Couldn't agree more
Old 05-18-10, 08:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is no big deal. The Civic still holds its own and the design is still thoroughly modern as it was a huge step when it came out. The last gen Corolla was much more out of date when it ended production in '08 than the Civic will be next year. Yet the Corolla was still the best selling compact.

The article says that Honda initially intended for the new Civic to be even bigger. Huh?? How much bigger can the Civic get? Come on guys, stop the growth. I'm glad they decided to keep it the same size. It appears it's primarily because of the new CAFE standards coming and increasing competition like the Focus and Cruze that will have 40 mpg versions.

I hope to God that they don't give us an ugly Civic. It's one of only a few good looking Honda's left. If they give it the traits of the CR-Z, Insight, ect., then it's over for Honda.
Old 05-18-10, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
This is no big deal. The Civic still holds its own and the design is still thoroughly modern as it was a huge step when it came out. The last gen Corolla was much more out of date when it ended production in '08 than the Civic will be next year. Yet the Corolla was still the best selling compact.
That's one reason, among several, WHY Corollas continue to sell. They are styled like cars, not space ships.......and that's what a lot of people want.

The article says that Honda initially intended for the new Civic to be even bigger. Huh?? How much bigger can the Civic get? Come on guys, stop the growth. I'm glad they decided to keep it the same size. It appears it's primarily because of the new CAFE standards coming and increasing competition like the Focus and Cruze that will have 40 mpg versions.
Honda probably feels no need to actually shrink the Civic. After all, that's why they brought the Fit (Jazz) in from overseas...to take over the sub-compact, entry-level position in the American market that the Civic held years ago, before it grew to compact size.

I hope to God that they don't give us an ugly Civic. It's one of only a few good looking Honda's left.
Butt-ugly, no, but I personally wouldn't call the present Civic good-looking, especially the front end, front-quarter windows, and split-level gauges. Underneath, though, its build quality is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar.

If they give it the traits of the CR-Z, Insight, ect., then it's over for Honda.
There, I disagree. Honda, even today, simply has too many hard-core fans and repeat buyers to be biting the dust anytime soon. And, despite some controversial styling, it has benefitted from Toyota's recent problems.

And in my own personal life, many of the people who come to me today and ask me for car advice, even before I sit down with them and start serious recommendations, often ask me first about a Civic, Accord, Odyssey, CR-V, or some other well-known Honda product. They often want to look at a Honda first, even if they end up buying something else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-10 at 09:35 PM.