Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I give you a Beemer...you give me a Hyundai?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 04:55 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I thought I was let down when Audi gave me an A3 two weeks ago, when I was hoping to get a A5 or Q5 for the day.

Originally Posted by STIG
Everytime i get my M3 serviced, they gave me all kinds of weird craps from enterprised. Usually chevy cobalt and nissan santara. I don't really care because the bimmer loner are 128i and 328i or X3. I don't really care for them.
LOL! That actually sounds better than Sentra.
Old 05-18-10, 04:57 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

At least the lexus dealership by me has plenty of loaners available even if you walk in.
Old 05-18-10, 05:07 PM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
next time, ask them for a banner that goes in front and back:

"I BOUGHT A BMW BUT GOT THIS HYUNDAI AS A LOANER"

Is it the same dealer that you bought it from when you're taking it in for service?

If it is, that sucks

MB dealer use that excuse when I take it to a different a dealer.......I get a "C" class..........one time a "c"obalt, another time a "c"avalier

I told them, just drop me off in your shuttle and pick me up
HAHA I'll tell them that next time That's funny. And Yeah, it's the same dealer I bought the car from.

Originally Posted by itsmarcjs
It sucks that some dealers do use other lesser makes as their loaners. i huess it is what it is considering you did buy a used vehicle. The dealer probably reserves their own make loaners for those that bought from that dealer and bought new.
Yeah that might true. Everytime I go, it always seems like they are limited on their BMW loaners.....but they've got plenty of Hyundais . Also, I thought you are pretty much supposed to get all the perks from buying a "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle. At least that's how they presented it to me (don't all dealships promote CPOs like this anyway not sure though). We actually went there to buy a gutless 328i cuz the wife wanted a new one, but then I talked her into getting a low mileage used 335i LOL
Old 05-18-10, 05:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Everytime i get my M3 serviced, they gave me all kinds of weird craps from enterprised. Usually chevy cobalt and nissan santara. I don't really care because the bimmer loner are 128i and 328i or X3. I don't really care for them.
believe me, driving 328 around it's beyond frustrating
Old 05-18-10, 05:26 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 8lastoff

Yeah that might true. Everytime I go, it always seems like they are limited on their BMW loaners.....but they've got plenty of Hyundais . Also, I thought you are pretty much supposed to get all the perks from buying a "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle. At least that's how they presented it to me (don't all dealships promote CPOs like this anyway not sure though). We actually went there to buy a gutless 328i cuz the wife wanted a new one, but then I talked her into getting a low mileage used 335i LOL
well, there you go:
bmw loaners given out=for bmws needing repair

summary: too many bmws needing repair so they resort to the hyundais
Old 05-18-10, 05:45 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW is the WORST when it comes to loaner cars and service. We've only received a BMW twice when we took our X5 service and I'd say we took it in probably close to 20 times. They are always "backed up" and have excuses. We've mostly received old cars--Neons / Elantras for our service. They also are bare stock. One of the reasons we bought the car in the first place was safety and a bare stock neon with 1 airbag (maybe 2) doesn't compare to our 10 airbag / solid X5. Its sad when you buy a 60k car from them you get treated like you purchased a 6k car. Thats one of the many reasons we left BMW for Lexus...
Old 05-18-10, 05:50 PM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
well, there you go:
bmw loaners given out=for bmws needing repair

summary: too many bmws needing repair so they resort to the hyundais

LOL I just needed an oil change I meant more like they don't have very many BMW loaners in their inventory to give out to everyone
Old 05-18-10, 05:55 PM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by IStoSC
BMW is the WORST when it comes to loaner cars and service. We've only received a BMW twice when we took our X5 service and I'd say we took it in probably close to 20 times. They are always "backed up" and have excuses. We've mostly received old cars--Neons / Elantras for our service. They also are bare stock. One of the reasons we bought the car in the first place was safety and a bare stock neon with 1 airbag (maybe 2) doesn't compare to our 10 airbag / solid X5. Its sad when you buy a 60k car from them you get treated like you purchased a 6k car. Thats one of the many reasons we left BMW for Lexus...
Word bro! I hear ya. I've actually heard that "backed up" excuse from them too.
Old 05-18-10, 08:39 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IStoSC
Interesting.

Guess it all depends on the dealership and how you treat them. They've provided me with an X3 everytime (4 now) that my X5 had to go in. While I think that the X3 is a total pos....it's still way better than the Jeep they gave my father when he took his X6 in for bodywork.

Benz typically gives us a C300...which is a poor excuse for entry level lux.

Lexus has in the past given us RX's, ES's and even a GS. But the local dealer here is brutal and doesn't typically offer loaners.
Old 05-18-10, 09:53 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Its not just BMW... When I drove my 2008 S600 in for a service.. I left in a rental Mustang.... but its good to have extreme contrasts to make you appreciate what you have!

All credit to Lexus... Whenever our RX is serviced we are always offered another RX as a loaner...

Chris
Old 05-18-10, 10:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

believe me, it's mostly about the dealerships rather than the brand. that's all i can say. i have seen way too many cases on all brands
Old 05-18-10, 10:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I think it all makes sense. BMW dealer is loaning you Hyundai's because they are reliable and cheaper to get. Wouldn't it be a shame if BMW they loan out breaks down on the road?

Meowcat is correct.....there are lots worse vehicles on the road than newer Hyundais. I certainly wouldn't complain if I got one as a loaner. Not only that, but with one of the new Hyundai models (the Genesis 3.8L track Coupe), you'd be hard-pressed to tell its steering, handling, powertrain, and general road manners from some of the better BMW's.........no, I'm not kidding.
Old 05-18-10, 10:46 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
. but its good to have extreme contrasts to make you appreciate what you have!

Chris
That's a really good point. When I got the A3 on loan, I really appreciated getting the A4 back at the end of the day. I don't think it would be the same had I gotten an A5 on loan.

Same thing when I got a Sentra from Nissan when the Altima was being serviced a couple years ago. I hated the Sentra's touchy gas pedal and quickly missed the Altima. But if they had given me a Maxima or Murano, I don't know if I could continue to drive that Altima.

It's only for a day, so a simple compact car will remind us to appreciate what we have.
Old 05-18-10, 11:23 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2010 MRM RX350 loaner in the garage right now...

VERY nice car

And it looks great in red
Old 05-18-10, 11:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Much of this depends on where you live and how your personal dealership runs their operation. I think I am spoiled here in LA, as most all the dealership's I've been too with my last two cars have had the same cars for loaners. If not, I'd go out of my way to find a dealer that does.

Quick Reply: I give you a Beemer...you give me a Hyundai?