Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I give you a Beemer...you give me a Hyundai?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 11:49 PM
8lastoff
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Meowcat is correct.....there are lots worse vehicles on the road than newer Hyundais. I certainly wouldn't complain if I got one as a loaner. Not only that, but with one of the new Hyundai models (the Genesis 3.8L track Coupe), you'd be hard-pressed to tell its steering, handling, powertrain, and general road manners from some of the better BMW's.........no, I'm not kidding.
Absolutely agree there are some worse vehicles on the road than Hyundais. I was just suprised they gave me that as a loaner instead of another BMW. I'm just seeing the loaner as a courtesy from the dealership. After everyone's input on here, I would say that's all I can call it, a courtesy vehicle. Shoot, I could be stuck getting a cab, or worse, in one of those vans with strangers getting shuttled around LOL.

Anyway, I would have been stoked if I got a Genisis Coupe, but nope I got an Elantra . I know that the Elantra is far more "practical" for loaner purposes. Also, I agree that some vehicles in the Hyundai line may have traits, options, and general road manners that are comparable to the BMW line....but not all of them (meaning the traits, options, etc. part). Everyone knows that BMW has done historically better. BMW has established a certain rapport, or reputation among the Auto world that Hyundai would love to possess, and I'm sure someday they will with the cars they are starting to release. It's for these same reasons that Hyundai compares themselves with brands such as M Benz and BMW. It's also for these same reasons that Hyundai wanted to make their Genesis as ambiguous as they could. So that people wouldn't discredit it's excellent craftsmanship just because it was a "Hyundai". I guess I'm just trying to say people buy BMW for a reason. It's that reason I bought a BMW and not a Hyundai. It's that reason we categorize a BMW as a "Luxury" brand.....right? (really, no hard feelings on Hyundai, just saying)

Also I think all cars break down eventually (hopefully not mine soon) but I don't think they gave me a Hyundai because BMW's break down a lot......it's because when that hyundai eventually needs maintenance, which it will....it'll be waaaaaaayy cheaper to fix then the BMW hence the dealership doing all they can to keep their overhead cost down. Darn luxury brands
Old 05-19-10, 07:45 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

my friend got a Mazda for her 328. booo BMW
Old 05-19-10, 08:50 AM
LexFather

lol meowcat has a point!

Old 05-19-10, 08:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What do you expect for $135 per labor?
Old 05-19-10, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 8lastoff
Anyway, I would have been stoked if I got a Genisis Coupe, but nope I got an Elantra . I know that the Elantra is far more "practical" for loaner purposes. Also, I agree that some vehicles in the Hyundai line may have traits, options, and general road manners that are comparable to the BMW line....but not all of them (meaning the traits, options, etc. part).
The average Hyundai, of course, does not drive anything like the average BMW. That is not the case, however, with the Genesis Coupe......specifically the 3.8L Track model, which is in a world of its own.
Old 05-19-10, 09:40 AM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The average Hyundai, of course, does not drive anything like the average BMW. That is not the case, however, with the Genesis Coupe......specifically the 3.8L Track model, which is in a world of its own.
I'd love to drive one now. Trust me, when I first saw one, I was like, "Wow, that's the new Hyundai! Dang!"
Old 05-19-10, 09:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsmarcjs
It sucks that some dealers do use other lesser makes as their loaners. i huess it is what it is considering you did buy a used vehicle. The dealer probably reserves their own make loaners for those that bought from that dealer and bought new.
My local Lexus dealer give Lexus loaners to all, until it runs out. It has nothing to do with who bought the car from the dealer and bought new. Then they give you rental cars as loaners. Basically first come, first served.
Old 05-19-10, 11:11 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to be "that guy" but...

O = Bimmer (4 wheels)
X = Beemer (motorrad)

kthxbai
Old 05-19-10, 11:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

O = Bimmer (4 wheels)
X = Beemer (motorrad)

kthxbai
I was thinking the same thing but didnt feel like correcting people.

Bimmers are cars and Beemers are motorcycles. Seems like splitting hairs on a Lexus forum but....
Old 05-19-10, 11:17 AM
8lastoff
Driver

O = Bimmer (4 wheels)
X = Beemer (motorrad)

kthxbai
you are 100% right . I always get this wrong lol, I even know this but my mind just can't accept using the "im" hahaha no turning back now
Old 05-19-10, 01:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do Beemer motorcycle dealers have loaners for service customer?
Old 05-19-10, 01:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

O = Bimmer (4 wheels)
X = Beemer (motorrad)

kthxbai
If you didn't say it, I would've...

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Nope.

Unfortunately...

But they usually have rentals. Just in case you have an itch to keep on riding.
Old 05-19-10, 02:09 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus for the most part has been VERY good. In high school I had an IS300 (entry level) and when it went for service they gave me another IS, ES, or RX. They even gave me a GS. This is pretty impressive. Never have I waited and they are very good about giving loaner cars and it is a hassle free process. IMO and experience Lexus service is unmatched...though we've never tried Mercedes and I hear mixed reviews. I'm pretty sure my folks have given up on BMW (though we do miss its drive but def not the maintenance beast it became)...
Old 05-19-10, 02:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Nothing can compare to Lexus service quality. My dealership was ranked number 1 in customer service recently. When you go in its very obvious.
Old 05-19-10, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Maybe they loan out Hyundais, too. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Quick Reply: I give you a Beemer...you give me a Hyundai?