Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I give you a Beemer...you give me a Hyundai?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 11:11 AM
8lastoff
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I give you a Beemer...you give me a Hyundai?

Hey Everone, so here's my story: My wife and I recently bought her a CPO 2007 BMW 335i coupe 6 speed early last year. The car is awesome. I have nothing to complain about except one thing. Everytime I take it to get it's scheduled maintenance they give me a Hyundai as a loaner . Now don't get me wrong, the Hyundai will do the job taking me where I need to go, and I definately don't want to come off as "snobby", but I give you a Beemer and you give me a Hyundai? When we were buying the BMW, they were all about the service and what they can provide. They were all, "Yeah, and when you need your car serviced, just call us and we'll pick it up straight from your house and drop off the loaner right at your driveway. You don't even have to worry about coming in!" I thought that was great. The sales man was even brave enough to knock my Lexus and say, "Does Lexus do that for you?" I was like whoa, whoa, you're getting a little to comfortable

I bought my '06 Lexus IS350 CPO a couple years ago and everytime I took it in to get serviced, they ALWAYS gave me a Lexus back. A couple times they even gave me an RX350, which are pretty sweet cars by the way.

This may not be that big of a deal, but I think it's little things like this that can definately give you a slight edge from your competitor, and I'm leaning towards Lexus
Old 05-18-10, 11:17 AM
kyledye25
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with you on this one. I think a dealer like BMW and others alike should at least give you a loaner of their own brand. I would understand if it was of course a used one with plenty of miles but to give you something like a Hyundai....thats crazy. My parents have a Lexus and always have been given a Lexus and usually are given another RX-350 since thats what my mom drives. And in the winter its always an AWD vehicle which is nice. I work at a place called Foreign Traffic and Imports here in Allison Park, PA. We service mainly high end cars like BMW's, Jags, Lexus, Volvo, and so on. But our loaners are like 95 Volvo T5 with 150+k, or a 94 Jag with 177K, and a few others. So here we are giving you cars that we service and are all in good condition. But they are old and beat up. If I had a BMW you better believe I want a BMW loaner when I get my car serviced at the dealer.
Old 05-18-10, 11:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

A few years ago when my parents brought their XJ8 in for service we got Ford Tauruses and Contours as loaners. Awful!!
Old 05-18-10, 11:24 AM
8lastoff
Driver

lol nice Kyle. I hoped I wasn't the only one that thought this was strange
Old 05-18-10, 11:27 AM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
A few years ago when my parents brought their XJ8 in for service we got Ford Tauruses and Contours as loaners. Awful!!

Wow! This may be pretty common then. XJ8's are sweet cars! I feel like it would have to be a MUST to give you another Jag as a loaner.
Old 05-18-10, 11:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it really depends on dealerships i guess. a few bmw dealerships i go to, as long as i make appt ahead of time, i always get bmw loaners. same with my friends, they get x5, 335, or even 535 as loaners.

if i go in without appt, then i will get a rental car from enterprise, can't complain coz' i walk in.

now for lexus, some dealerships i go to, they have well over 100 lexus loaners so chances of getting lexus is higher. but there are dealerships where they don't have that many loaners, and at times they actually tell you sorry we don't have anything for you to drive. some of them will pair up with rental car companies too to give you a rental
Old 05-18-10, 11:37 AM
LexFather

lol, I chuckled

Old 05-18-10, 11:39 AM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
it really depends on dealerships i guess. a few bmw dealerships i go to, as long as i make appt ahead of time, i always get bmw loaners. same with my friends, they get x5, 335, or even 535 as loaners.

if i go in without appt, then i will get a rental car from enterprise, can't complain coz' i walk in.

now for lexus, some dealerships i go to, they have well over 100 lexus loaners so chances of getting lexus is higher. but there are dealerships where they don't have that many loaners, and at times they actually tell you sorry we don't have anything for you to drive. some of them will pair up with rental car companies too to give you a rental

Yeah I agree with the walk in. Last time I took it in, it was because the Halo light wasn't working and I went the next day and they gave me a Hyundai. So I took it in stride since it was quick notice. But this time we called about two weeks in advance and my wife still got a Hyundai

I think you're right about the dealership. I'm going to try Santa Monica or Beverly Hills BMW next time
Old 05-18-10, 11:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, who would rather walk?
Old 05-18-10, 11:48 AM
8lastoff
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, who would rather walk?
LOL I know, what am I complaining about I guess. I mean c'mon, that things getting a free synthetic oil change right now. That's gotta be like $100 bucks I'm saving right?
Old 05-18-10, 12:15 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

lol I remember when we had our benz serviced at MB of Anaheim they gave out camry's as loaners... Kinda funny people roll in in their S-classes, CLSes and leave in camrys. It'd be nice to get another mb but I'm not complaining.
I wouldn't mind getting Genesis 4.6 as a loaner.
Old 05-18-10, 12:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would be cool with it if it was the new sonata. Its still a little low end of them to do that but at least you have a ride home. I had a buddy who used to take his benz in and they would give him a volvo station wagon and it wasnt even new. It was like 5 yrs old.
Old 05-18-10, 12:24 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I figure all that stuff is priced in (donuts, coffee, nice loaners)

I am cheap enough to want a lower shop rate than a nice loaner
Old 05-18-10, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 8lastoff
Yeah I agree with the walk in. Last time I took it in, it was because the Halo light wasn't working and I went the next day and they gave me a Hyundai. So I took it in stride since it was quick notice. But this time we called about two weeks in advance and my wife still got a Hyundai

I think you're right about the dealership. I'm going to try Santa Monica or Beverly Hills BMW next time
i am not sure about those places as well, they are just so-so

i have heard good words on south bay
Old 05-18-10, 01:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat

Holly **** I would be honored to take that as a loaner too. That car draws attention on the road big time. Genesis 4.6 or '11 Sonata = Win Win situation Forget BMW, I just won't return the Hyundai and keep driving it.

Quick Reply: I give you a Beemer...you give me a Hyundai?