Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 CLS Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 05:21 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont dislike it. Ill have to see it in person. The reason why it looks so gaudy is because it is meant to have great presence in person. Imagine pulling up at the ritz with those LED DRLs lol
Old 08-18-10, 07:31 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikemareen
new CLS is absolutely amazing! just when u thought the CLS could no way be improved; you see benz pull it off again!

I don't see how anyone would go for the S class when the wicked CLS can be had for cheaper. This can kinda hurt them due to the fact that many
will go for this and avoid the s class.

what a looker! bow down bow down to the germans!
Maybe cause the S-class is a luxury sedan and the CLS is an E-class based swoopy styled sports sedan?

The people buying S-classes are not going to downgrade to an E class or CLS.

I honestly have never liked the CLS and this one doesn't change my mind.
Old 08-18-10, 08:43 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

aw wow those LED's look insane! again the germans in the forefront and now every japanese and korean car will soon have it!

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont dislike it. Ill have to see it in person. The reason why it looks so gaudy is because it is meant to have great presence in person. Imagine pulling up at the ritz with those LED DRLs lol
Old 08-18-10, 08:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I can see some CL-class buyers going for this CLS tho, the current CL-class is definitely uglier to me ......
Old 08-18-10, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
new CLS is absolutely amazing! just when u thought the CLS could no way be improved; you see benz pull it off again!

I don't see how anyone would go for the S class when the wicked CLS can be had for cheaper. This can kinda hurt them due to the fact that many
will go for this and avoid the s class.

what a looker! bow down bow down to the germans!
errr.... the cls (and the e class for that matter) is far from nearing where the s class is. cls is nice (current gen and next gen), but in terms of size and interior luxury it can't touch the s.
Old 08-18-10, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I can see some CL-class buyers going for this CLS tho, the current CL-class is definitely uglier to me ......
that could be true, though from what i see a lot of cl owners they like the size of the car and the cls is "not big enough" to them.
Old 08-18-10, 09:06 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

for some reason the cls and s class seem to be the same size to me.

if I had the money i'd definitely spring for the cls over the s class.

but then again, these big 8 bangers will soon lose it's allure very soon; even for the rich.

The big dealer discounts on gas guzzler suv's have already started. 10k off for the nissan titan, 5k off for the pathfinder, the sequoia is getting the axe! soon it will hit the 8 banger sedans.

Originally Posted by rominl
that could be true, though from what i see a lot of cl owners they like the size of the car and the cls is "not big enough" to them.
Old 08-18-10, 09:53 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't tell which one I prefer; the new or the previous. The one thing I can say is that it definitely looks like a rich person's car. Instant valet respect.
Old 08-18-10, 02:17 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

DONNOJACK, I really like your mock ups of the 2011. To me, that front hood bulge is the only thing keeping me from swooning over this car. Like many have said, I will see how the front grabs me in person.

What will also be nice to see is what the AMG trim (see page 4 of this thread for hints) and the actual AMG version look like. I can already tell how much I like this car based on the "ordinary" version, which I think is very sexy.

Just like the previous CLS, some people love it and others hate it, but to me, the rear bulges, body lines and creases are pure genious. It had to be though, to seperate itself from the CC and the Sonata (which are very nice 4 door coupe cars).

As for the CL or S owner buying this over the other...possible because it is new, but the 3 cars fit different demographics.

S is PURE luxury, smooth and roomy and anyone who needs real back seats will never get a CLS or a CL for that matter over an S.

CL is on a grander scale and literally the same size in the front as an S, which makes the CLS (mind you I of course have not sat in this one) seem small, but I could see buyers cross shopping the two, particularly when considering AMG trim, but the true CL buyer cross shops the Bentley GT.

IMO, the CLS attracts the E class buyer who is not interested in an S because it "seems" too big or just is. I doubt S sales will suffer. Once the novelty of this car wears off, the same demographic buyer will stick with his plush luxury S while the CLS buyer will want his posh performer.

Last edited by Mbenz528i; 08-18-10 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 02:29 PM
stick
Pole Position

I'm glad they carried over the "fake" exhaust tips
Old 08-20-10, 01:46 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AMG version is in the works, and the nose isn't as vertical next to the headlights. so there is hope after all.

i could see people swapping out front bumpers....

Attached Thumbnails 2011 CLS Official Thread-cls-amg-5.jpg   2011 CLS Official Thread-cls-amg-7.jpg   2011 CLS Official Thread-cls-amg-4.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 08-20-10 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-20-10, 04:17 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

To me personally, the CLS is MUCH more exciting than the S. For some reason (and I've ridden in several so I KNOW how sweet they are), I just find more that heats up my blood to go drive something else (say, Audi A8 or BMW 750i) even though the S-class beats them in several comparison tests. It handles great, pure luxury inside, it's the class leader... yet just doesn't do "it" for me... this new CLS does, in comparison.

To quote someone else, it gives an alternative to the S. I'd take the new CLS over the S... again, my personal preference.

Last edited by rdgdawg; 08-20-10 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-20-10, 06:43 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the only thing that bothers me on this car as well as the last CLS is the multi-wood paneled coverings for the storage doors...

Old 08-20-10, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hahah that big piece of wood trim on the dash bothers me more

and mb amg design team has some great designers. the amg version always look much better
Old 08-20-10, 07:08 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

DONNOJACK, another sick chop! I appreciate the time and it looks amazing. I cannot wait.

Quick Reply: 2011 CLS Official Thread