Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 CLS Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 07:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
S is PURE luxury, smooth and roomy and anyone who needs real back seats will never get a CLS or a CL for that matter over an S.

CL is on a grander scale and literally the same size in the front as an S, which makes the CLS (mind you I of course have not sat in this one) seem small, but I could see buyers cross shopping the two, particularly when considering AMG trim, but the true CL buyer cross shops the Bentley GT.

IMO, the CLS attracts the E class buyer who is not interested in an S because it "seems" too big or just is. I doubt S sales will suffer. Once the novelty of this car wears off, the same demographic buyer will stick with his plush luxury S while the CLS buyer will want his posh performer.
No disrespect intended, but have you driven the CLS?

Hopefully the new gen CLS is more of a "performer" without the AMG badge. I personally love the previous gen CLS's looks and will also reserve judgement on the current one until I see one in person. I was hugely disappointed in the driving dynamics of the old CLS. Unbeknownst to my wife, I walked into the dealership fully intending on buying the CLS. After taking it on a fairly lengthy test drive, I was hugely disappointed. The interior was nice and comfortable, but the rear seats were horrible for a car this size and it felt like I was piloting a land yacht. I played with all of the suspension settings and even in "sport" mode it was weak. Power was adequate, the brakes were terrible and the body roll was horrid. My X5 feels more connected to the road than the CLS did.
Old 08-20-10, 08:17 PM
Mind18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pure sex to me...

Last edited by Mind18; 08-20-10 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-20-10, 08:57 PM
LexFather

I tire of coupes and sedans inspired by SUVs.....

Old 08-20-10, 09:07 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Front looks like a snow plow and the rear looks like a Packard, but that interior....oh yes...
Old 08-21-10, 05:39 AM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

what is with the 4th brake light reflector thing?
Old 08-21-10, 06:10 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Hopefully the new gen CLS is more of a "performer" without the AMG badge. I personally love the previous gen CLS's looks and will also reserve judgement on the current one until I see one in person. I was hugely disappointed in the driving dynamics of the old CLS. Unbeknownst to my wife, I walked into the dealership fully intending on buying the CLS. After taking it on a fairly lengthy test drive, I was hugely disappointed. The interior was nice and comfortable, but the rear seats were horrible for a car this size and it felt like I was piloting a land yacht. I played with all of the suspension settings and even in "sport" mode it was weak. Power was adequate, the brakes were terrible and the body roll was horrid. My X5 feels more connected to the road than the CLS did.
Great point, CLS was disappointing minus the AMG badge. However, I have noticed a concerted effort from MB to enhance performance in non-AMG versions... witness the new E-class... while the seat comfort is poor (sit on a 2x4 and tell the difference) it is MUCH more sporting on the road. Let's hope this is employed in the new CLS
Old 08-21-10, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the whole idea of cls is a 4 door coupe though, honestly you shouldn't expect good cabin room in the back (it's a coupe). with that expectation i find the cls rear room pretty decent. yes it's harder to get in and out, but so do most coupes

i have also driven the e63 and cls63 around. the cls63 feels a bit unbalanced compared to the e63. but then to me, i think amg is more about straight line punches, i always don't think the cornering is that good overall because of the balance and weight. and in terms of straight acceleration, gosh, amg are pretty insane
Old 08-21-10, 10:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Front looks like a snow plow and the rear looks like a Packard, but that interior....oh yes...
I like it better than the current one, looks more mean and aggressive
Old 08-21-10, 07:18 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

No disrespect taken, and no, I have never driven the standard CLS550, only the CLS55 and 63 AMG models. I owned an X5 and 3 other BMW's (M3 currently) and NO Benz handles like a BMW, especially car for car (ML v X; E v 5, etc.), however, I think the CLS is better balanced and sporty compared to an S.

Sucks the car is not a performer, but if it is as you say, I hope they change this because I like the new more aggressive styling and now that I can actually afford a CLS, would like to buy my first Benz.
Old 08-22-10, 10:00 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

not digging the snout.

Old 08-22-10, 11:29 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I prefer this front:

Flows much better
Old 08-23-10, 09:09 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Sexy!

Old 08-23-10, 10:31 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think this car looks a lot better than the current design that I own. Once this car hit the street it’s going to make my current car look old. CDNROCKIES the current CLS is not a road carve but it handles a lot better than a lot Mercedes Benz cars. I think you’re feebing if it’s such a word on the car wobbling around corners and the braking. MB has actually changed the brakes on the CLS. It’s obvious you were looking for something else when you test drove the vehicle. One thing I can guarantee people were staring as you drove pass.

The CLS is more about passion and having the balance of both worlds. No matter where I go the car grabs attention. As far as people picking this car over the current CL, of course they will. I actually downgrade to a CLS from a CL. The CLS can’t touch the CL as far as comfort and interior. The CL is the boss of coupes as far MB goes.
The CLS takes the cake in attention and looks. Women just love the car.

Last edited by rogers2; 08-23-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-23-10, 10:52 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogers2
I think this car looks a lot better than the current design that I own. Once this car hit the street it’s going to make my current car look old. CDNROCKIES the current CLS is not a road carve but it handles a lot better than a lot Mercedes Benz cars. I think you’re feebing if it’s such a word on the car wobbling around corners and the braking. MB has actually changed the brakes on the CLS. It’s obvious you were looking for something else when you test drove the vehicle. One thing I can guarantee people were staring as you drove pass.

The CLS is more about passion and having the balance of both worlds. No matter where I go the car grabs attention. As far as people picking this car over the current CL, of course they will. I actually downgrade to a CLS from a CL. The CLS can’t touch the CL as far as comfort and interior. The CL is the boss of coupes as far MB goes.
The CLS takes the cake in attention and looks. Women just love the car.
I didn't say it wobbled, but that it had significant body roll. Not unexpected for a car this size, but you're right, it is more than I was looking for. The car I drove was a new '07 550 late last year, so if MB did a brake upgrade since then, kudos to them for identifying a weakness. The car felt very solid and the interior finish was very good as well.

I agree with you that the car is beautiful and is an attention grabber for sure. My impressions on how it drove may have been influenced by the fact that I drove the F to the test drive. I didn't expect it to handle or ride like the F, but I did expect more from it.
Old 08-23-10, 05:44 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

very gorgeous. I would have a hard time buying this or an S class

Quick Reply: 2011 CLS Official Thread