Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has Toyota sold more cars in History than any other manufacturer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 01:14 PM
jason60050
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has Toyota sold more cars in History than any other manufacturer?

Is this true...if so does anyone have a link to an article?
Old 05-21-10, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That would be a very difficult (and probably inaccurate) statistic to come up with, for a number of reasons. First, a number of vehicles are leased, rather than sold. Second, would "Toyota" include Scion and Lexus?.....(my guess is yes). Third, some Chevy-produced Cavaliers were sold in Japan as Toyota-badged products (yes, incredible but true). Fourth, some other huge corporations (like Ford and GM) were selling cars long before Toyota was founded. Fifth, the same questions apply concerning Ford and GM.....how do you define them among their divisions and their other corporate-owned companies (Volvo, Saab, Jaguar, Mazda, etc...)? Sixth, would rental cars count as sales? Seventh, would it include promotional vehicles that Toyota gives away to customers as promotions or PR (such as the "hands-on" Toyotas given away at some Auto shows) I could go on and on, but the point is, IMO, it would be a difficult "total" to come up with, depending on how you define all the factors.
Old 05-22-10, 03:13 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it would be difficult to total up. Just add up the number of vehicles that came off the production lines of Toyota Motor Corporation plants. It's done every month/year as each manufacturer declares it's sales figures.
Rentals/leases etc are still sales - they aren't produced for nothing and are sold to finance divisions, albeit these may be part of the same company.
Old 05-22-10, 04:29 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the Toyota Corolla is the best selling model of all time. Even more so than the Ford F series pickup. That is a fact I know of for sure.
Old 05-22-10, 04:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That would be a very difficult (and probably inaccurate) statistic to come up with, for a number of reasons. First, a number of vehicles are leased, rather than sold..
Note: leased vehicles are considered as a sale. They are no longer part of the inventory of the manufacturer or dealership once leased and/or sold (inventory has been relieved either way).
Old 05-22-10, 04:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I don't think it would be difficult to total up. Just add up the number of vehicles that came off the production lines of Toyota Motor Corporation plants. It's done every month/year as each manufacturer declares it's sales figures.
Rentals/leases etc are still sales - they aren't produced for nothing and are sold to finance divisions, albeit these may be part of the same company.
Agreed, it could be done, even if it's a waste of time.
Old 05-22-10, 05:27 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that GM has sold more cars than any other company in history. Even Ford is a possibility. Just a guess. GM has been around since 1908, while Toyota was established later than many American and European companies in 1937. Plus, Toyota didn't come to America or other areas until much longer after that.

Remember that Toyota has only recently become the world's largest automaker while GM held that title for 77 years. Yeah, with that said, it has to be #1 all time. 77 years is almost 3/4th of automotive history.

And yeah, a "sale" is ultimately considered every unit that leaves the factory. Even though, as mmarshall pointed out, there's tons of variables in selling cars.