Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Random RWD Cressidas

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 07:29 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And you want to call other people "ignorant"? I posted this to share some RWD Cressida goodness. It was a wonderful RWD Toyota sedan in the 1980s and today people are swapping the engines and turning them into drifters in some cases.

A local shop I know was on "Pinks" with one and they won the race in their modified Cressida.

It is OUTRAGEOUS you are quick to blab "oh this site doesn't like other cars" and "oh yall are bashing this car I like" and then you come and do the exact same thing over and over with cars you don't like or don't understand.

Thanks for again showing everyone your true automotive knowledge or rather complete lack of it. You then come and post pics in a Cressida thread with ANOTHER Skyline/GTR.

If you are going to just come in here to bash the Cressida please just exit the thread or at least "google' about it.
Very well-said. It just blows my mind. Obviously knows nothing about old school JDM roots.

I8, our 3GS's will one day be the 'Cressida'.
Old 05-22-10, 07:30 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Wow...that just outright arrogant. YOU may not be interested in these cars but they are what old JDM heritage is all about. The roots of JDM. Where it all started. 17 yr old Civics pique my interest as do these old school Cressida's definitely catch my attention.

Thanks for sharing these photos, 1Sick. I love the first one. The motor is so flippin clean!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And you want to call other people "ignorant"? I posted this to share some RWD Cressida goodness. It was a wonderful RWD Toyota sedan in the 1980s and today people are swapping the engines and turning them into drifters in some cases.

A local shop I know was on "Pinks" with one and they won the race in their modified Cressida.

It is OUTRAGEOUS you are quick to blab "oh this site doesn't like other cars" and "oh yall are bashing this car I like" and then you come and do the exact same thing over and over with cars you don't like or don't understand.

You then come and post pics in a Cressida thread with ANOTHER Skyline/GTR.

If you are going to just come in here to bash the Cressida please just exit the thread or at least "google' about it.
lol owned.
Old 05-22-10, 07:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

When we had our MX-73, it was a fantastic car. A bit underpowered with the 5M-GE motor but it was good in the day. It also took many of the Supra parts so it was a nice platform to mod. Comfortable, I thought it handled well and especially after replacing the shocks and springs. Camber suxx, ours was -3.1 in the rear and it wasn't that low. Same damn sun roof rattle that I endure in the LS and the cars were 12 years apart.

It is nice to see them, a testament of the build quality that as old as they are, there is a following and willingness to mod them. There were enough swaps on the Cressida forum with 2J, various built 5-7M-GE and GTE motors. Easy to work on too. This was back when Toyota had various parts interchangeability.

Also makes me remember the pre-85 Maximas that were RWD. Engine goodness is still to be had with the L24 240Z motor parts.

Last edited by RA40; 05-22-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 07:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The '87 Cressida is my all time favorite. I've always wanted one. It was the best of the box cars of the time like the Maxima & Stanza.
Old 05-24-10, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I wonder what the world would be like if RWD still dominated the sedan market.
You would probably see a lot more of this:

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-24-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 09:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

wow, the first picture with the clean engine compartment

I was too poor to get a cressida at the time, ended up with a maxima instead
Old 05-24-10, 11:35 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We had an old MX63. It was beat up but it was fun to drive...
Old 05-24-10, 12:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You would probably see a lot more of this:

Thats because most people are ignorant to the existence and benefits of winter tires. This past winter was the first time I invested in a set of those, and I had no problems whatsoever. Didn't get stuck once - in fact, I took my RWD car to an empty parking lot full of snow to do some winter donuts. It was fun!
Old 05-24-10, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
wow, the first picture with the clean engine compartment

I was too poor to get a cressida at the time, ended up with a maxima instead
Too poor? The two cars are (or, rather, were) natural competitors, and in the same general price range.....though the Maxima had a somewhat sportier chassis.
Old 05-25-10, 04:55 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

beautiful! thanks for posting. I think there are way too many people who only like the newest most expensive stuff and don't appreciate anything old and cool unless it comes from Italy or Detroit. motor swapped old japanese cars are simply awesome.
Old 05-25-10, 05:18 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Here's a cressida that's local to me. Car was put together very well.

Old 05-26-10, 01:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

An old school one I like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77UZ5YAOD4k
Old 05-26-10, 02:57 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
Here's a cressida that's local to me. Car was put together very well.

Now that I like. Clean integration of the FMIC, and stance looks great. Don't think that engine needs so many vents on the hood though...

For me, the Cressida was always the car that someone inherited from their mom. Never the cool car, but comfortable to roll when you're 4 deep. Now when I look at it, I think it's such a simple, classic design. Small pillars, big windows, and a shape you'd draw when you were drawing cars as a kid. Now we've got over-stylized vehicles that need cameras to see out the back.
Old 05-26-10, 03:36 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I love modified old school JDM cars. Some amazing work went into these rides. Someday when I learn more about car mechanics I'd love to find a old stock one and build it from scratch. Sure, most people probably don't see the effort and resources put into them, but any car enthusiast should respect and appreciate these builds.
Old 05-26-10, 05:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cressida is the direct predecessor of the original LS400. Although they are entirely different cars, and probably don't share a single screw, the styling of LS400 was clearly inspired by the Cressida.

Quick Reply: Random RWD Cressidas