Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nano burnout...Tata completes Nano fire probe, says car is safe

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 08:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Nano burnout...Tata completes Nano fire probe, says car is safe

Tata completes Nano fire probe, says car is safe

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/24/t...s-car-is-safe/

by Jonathon Ramsey (RSS feed) on May 24th, 2010 at 11:40AM

Earlier this year, there were reports of at least three Tata Nano runabouts channeling The Trammps and going up in Disco(unt) Infernos. Of the three Nanos that got the charbroil treatment, two of them were apparently due to a faulty switch. The third couldn't be explained, so Tata put together a team of 20 employees supplemented by a forensics expert to figure out what was going on.

Without explaining what happened, the team has reportedly "found no manufacturing defects," and according to PTI News, they say that the third incident is unrelated. Furthermore, all Nanos "absolutely safe." As you were, then. Still, in case current Nano owners want to be even more than absolutely safe, Tata will preemptively check any vehicle already in service.
Old 05-24-10, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think we will see the Nano in the American market. Even aside from questions of flammability, it appears to be too lightly built to withstand U.S. crash/safety standards. The Smart Car manages to meet them, but has a tough, Mecedes-designed roll cage that the Nano (apparantly) lacks. The upcoming Mazda2, Scion/Toyota IQ, Fiat 500, and Suzuki Swift also appear better-engineered for the American market. And these other cars, of course, aren't built to the Nano's ridiculously low price range, so they aren't subject to the same levels of cost-cutting.
Old 05-24-10, 09:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that need kindling.....

The Nano is superior transportation only in it's home market, because it typically replaces a motorcycle or scooter as the family's primary form of motorized transportation. It was never intended for the North American market.
Old 05-24-10, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
For those that need kindling.....

The Nano is superior transportation only in it's home market, because it typically replaces a motorcycle or scooter as the family's primary form of motorized transportation. It was never intended for the North American market.
First, superior transportation doesn't go up like a bonfire, no matter what country you are talking about. Second, The Smart-for-Two was never intended for the U.S. market either, but Penske Motors found a way to get around that. I agree with you, though, that, given the Nano's price and construction, that isn't going to happen. And, if this is a vehicle that a "family" is going to get into, they better all be pretty small and light. Put average Americans into it (much less me) and it would probably barely move.
Old 05-24-10, 09:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First, superior transportation doesn't go up like a bonfire, no matter what country you are talking about. Second, The Smart-for-Two was never intended for the U.S. market either, but Penske Motors found a way to get around that. I agee with you, though, that, given the Nano's price and construction, that isn't going to happen. And, if this is a vehicle that a "family" is going to get into, they better all be pretty small and light. Put average Americans into it (much less me) and it would probably barely move.
First in the home country, this car replaces scooters and motorcycles as primary family transportation, therefore it's superior transportation to what it replaces in that home market, assuming the bonfire (switch) versions are recalled.

Second, as I said Nano was not intended for US market and has nothing to do with Smart-for-Two which was intended for vastly larger markets including North America (includes Canada where the Smart was common well before Penske brought it to the US).

Third, agreed, bonfire cars are not acceptable, unless they are intended as kindling...

Fourth (and OT as usual), too many Americans are overweight, with unacceptable BMI's. See if you fit on a motor scooter or motorbike with your family and/or friends.

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-24-10 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 09:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First in the home country, this car replaces scooters and motorcycles as primary family transportation, therefore it's superior transportation to what it replaces in that home market, assuming the bonfire (switch) versions are recalled.

Second, as I said Nano was not intended for US market and has nothing to do with Smart-for-Two which was intended for vastly larger markets including North America (includes Canada where the Smart was common well before Penske brought it to the US).

Third, agreed, bonfire cars are not acceptable, unless they are intended as kindling...

Fourth (and OT as usual), too many Americans are overweight, with unacceptable BMI's. See if you fit on a motor scooter or motorbike with your family and/or friends.
agreed on all counts....and yes its still safer than a motorcycle or scooter.
Old 05-24-10, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With me, it's not a matter of physical size. Motorcycles, in general,
just scare me, fat or thin.

Originally Posted by bagwell
and yes its still safer than a motorcycle or scooter.
That may be true, but as they say.....all things are relative.
Old 05-24-10, 10:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With me, it's not a matter of physical size. Motorcycles, in general,
just scare me, fat or thin.
The motorcycle death rate per mile in the US speaks for itself unfortunately.

Just think how scary a motorcycle or scooter is for a family of 3 riding in the home country of the Nano, no thanks.
Old 05-24-10, 12:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The motorcycle death rate per mile in the US speaks for itself unfortunately.

Just think how scary a motorcycle or scooter is for a family of 3 riding in the home country of the Nano, no thanks.

I keep thinking about the 9 bikers who were run over by a dump truck near my house. I know that the nano would have been large enough not to end up underneath a burning dump truck. I think for the markets that the nano is intended for its a great step up from a scooter or bicycle. At least they can get around in the rain without getting soaked. The idea of a heater in the winter must seem very appealing. I think its a great vehicle for the markets its intended for. Most people who will be driving the nano may not have even driven a car before them owning the nano
Old 05-24-10, 01:20 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no idea what you mean, you just have to have the right motorcycle:

Old 05-24-10, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I have no idea what you mean, you just have to have the right motorcycle:

Yep, that's why Harley makes the motorcycle model, "FAT BOY". (copyrighted)