Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

List of What the Young Drive & Average Age of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 09:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
LOL!!!!!
I would have to whole-heartedly disagree with that. Younger people don't buy the LaCrosse because:

1) It's a Buick
2) While better looking than previous Buick's, it is still rather "mature" in overall appearance
3) It weighs 4,000lbs
4) It drives like it weighs 4,000lbs
5) It's not cheap
6) It's not fast
7) It's not particularly fuel efficient
8) The interior is definitely more Q-Tip-friendly than it is cool or interesting.
9) It has enough ground clearance to be mistaken for a crossover
10) It's a Buick
Agreed.

Real life example of a potential buyer in my family, he's 62 years old (active, fit, educated, semi-retired). He really likes the car and will seriously consider buying it, unlike any Buick in the last 2 decades which he ignored.
Old 05-27-10, 09:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Don't forget Tiger Woods likes it
He was fired just before his multiple affairs surfaced, good timing on GM's part.

GM would prefer that you not mention his name.
Old 05-27-10, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
The majority of Mitsubishi sales are to fleets & people that can't get financed elsewhere.
Perhaps this is overly-stereotypical, but the impression I get is that except for the relatively young, caps-on-backward Evo/Ralliart crowd, the majority of Mitsubishi sales, at least in the American market, seem to be the same class of people buying Chrysler/Dodge products....those who are willing to tolerate sloppy build quality, flimsy hardware, a lot of plastic, and poorly-done interiors.
Old 05-27-10, 09:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It's simple. The old car was a crap bucket. The new car is pretty decent.
Therefore the older crap car was experiencing declining sales, the new car is enjoying robust sales and even outsells the Lexus ES350, not bad.
Old 05-27-10, 09:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't agree. Just look at our own CL family, for instance. How many threads, for example, were done on the old LaCrosse?.......and how much interest did the old model generate here? I did a review on both the old 2009 and new 2010 LaCrosse....but only because a couple of members asked me to compare the old one to the new one, otherwise I probably wouldn't have wasted time with it. And the first CL thread posted on the new LaCrosse some time ago (not my review, which came later), generated intense interest and hundreds of responses, many from younger CL members who couldn't have cared 2 cents about the old car. So, it is clear that the new model is generating a lot of interest, even if that interest has not always generated into direct sales.
It's simple. The old car was a crap bucket. The new car is pretty decent. They are both for older people. Neither is of much interest to younger people.

You can't judge perception and willingness to buy by a few threads on the internet. I have posted topics on the Kia Sportage and Scion iQ...do you think I have any interest in owning either of them?
Old 05-27-10, 09:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^sorry...edited and reposted
Old 05-27-10, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Therefore the older crap car was experiencing declining sales, the new car is enjoying robust sales and even outsells the Lexus ES350, not bad.
I agree, though I'm not quite as scornful of the old model as you are. But I don't think that's the point MPLexus301 is trying to make. His argument is that the new LaCrosse is not selling with young people at all because of lack of interest and it being too much of a traditional Buick. I say the youth interest is there, but other factors are preventing sales. Apparantly you, me, and him all have three different views on the matter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-27-10, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, though I'm not quite as scornful of the old model as you are. But I don't think that's the point MPLexus301 is trying to make. His argument is that the new LaCrosse is not selling with young people at all because of lack of interest and it being too much of a traditional Buick. I say the youth interest is there, but other factors are preventing sales. Apparantly you, me, and him all have three different views on the matter.
We can all speculate as to what causes loss sales (not even sure what loss sales are being discussed, not that it even matters). Sure I was not impressed with the the old Buicks (with pushrod engines, 4 speed trannys, ugly designs, poor handling, crap brakes, mediocre aerodynamics, mediocre performance and accelerated depreciation), but Buick's contribution to GM's US auto business losses over the last decade are obvious.

And the "name" Buick has no appeal to most buyers under 60, not unlike names like Olds, Mercury, Lincoln, etc.

But looking at the known facts, the LaCrosse sales are up sharply over the last model, and it is easily the best selling Buick this year. Certainly good progress, even if the average age of the buyers are still up there.
Old 05-27-10, 10:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Both the Enclave and LaCrosse are doing very well for GM. Hopefully, the new Regal/GS will continue that streak.
Old 05-27-10, 10:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Both the Enclave and LaCrosse are doing very well for GM. Hopefully, the new Regal/GS will continue that streak.
Yes LaCrosse and Enclave are at the top of the Buick sales charts.

On the topic of average age, IMO the Regal/GS selling in decent volume could have the greatest impact on reducing the average age of Buick buyers, but that's just early speculation.
Old 05-27-10, 10:56 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PHP Code:
BMW     M3     17.1
That explains a lot.
Old 05-27-10, 11:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes LaCrosse and Enclave are at the top of the Buick sales charts.

On the topic of average age, IMO the Regal/GS selling in decent volume could have the greatest impact on reducing the average age of Buick buyers, but that's just early speculation.
Last week I was car shopping with a friend and we went into a big Caddy/Buick dealership to look at the LaCrosse. We were joking on the way in that we were probably the youngest people they'd seen that day (we're both "mature"). My friend asked the salesman if age-wise he'd qualify for the Buick. The rep was cool about it, laughed and said they'd make an exception.

That's where I saw the Regal. Nice Euro-looking car.
Old 05-27-10, 12:29 PM
LexFather

Well the LAcrosse offers a base 4 cylinder at around $27,000 dollars. The ES starts at nearly $35,000.

Old 05-27-10, 12:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the LAcrosse offers a base 4 cylinder at around $27,000 dollars. The ES starts at nearly $35,000.
No doubt, that is a factor. Regardless, the Lacrosse is one of a few bright products in the current US product line.
Old 05-27-10, 12:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Would you believe, Mike, that I had two used Buicks before age 20, and liked both of them?....and no, not Buick GS muscle-cars either (for that, I had a Plymouth Barracuda). Of course, I've had a lot of other cars since then, too.

I think the reason that more younger people are not buying the new LaCrosse is simple peer pressure....or that they are afraid of their friends/colleagues making fun of them driving an "Old-Man's" car. Many probably (in secret) like the new LaCrosse but are allowing image and stereotypes to get in their way. I'd guess it's the same thing, to a lesser extent, with the Cadillac CTS....but fewer young people, of course, could afford a CTS, as it costs more than the LaCrosse.

Let's see what happens to LaCrosse sales, though, now that 4-cylinder FWD and V6 AWD versons are available.

After driving a worked G35 sedan for 5 years my friend were blown away when I told them I bought a Lexus GS. They all said " Isnt that an older persons car?".

Quick Reply: List of What the Young Drive & Average Age of Ownership