Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

after running no front plate for YEARS...finally got pulled over

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 12:38 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Ditto - I spend a fair bit of time in San Francisco/Oakland/Richmond/Berkeley and I've haven't seen a cop hassle me for a front plate.
I used to live in Richmond and I worked in downtown Oakland and the cops never ever bothered me as well. Most of the time I would take the BART so I wasn't driving all the time.

Originally Posted by link13
I've been driving without a front plate for many years in CA. The Veilside bumper on my car doesn't have a provision for a license plate bracket. My AE86 doesn't have a front plate either. I got stopped one night in that car many years ago and the officer asked if I knew I didn't have a front plate and I said yes. That was the end of the discussion.

CA residents should beware when parking at commericial airports. I know LAX issues tickets to cars parked in parking structures for no front plate. Other airports probably do this as well.
Thanks for the tip regarding LAX and other airports. One of these days I need to install my front license plate...
Old 05-26-10, 12:49 PM
GXGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My previous SUV only had a back plate, and I had that for 6 years without a hassle, even though a front plate is technically required and it had a plate holder.

My new GX 460 would have to be drilled to install a front plate, I'll pass!
Old 05-26-10, 02:01 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Just wondering. If a foreigner driving in certain states that need front plates will they get stopped?

Seeing here in Quebec we have no front plates.
Old 05-26-10, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GXGuy
My previous SUV only had a back plate, and I had that for 6 years without a hassle, even though a front plate is technically required and it had a plate holder.

My new GX 460 would have to be drilled to install a front plate, I'll pass!
If your GX is registered in OH, and the law is two plates, then you don't have a choice.....you can't pass. That's what this whole thread is about.

Welcome to CL, by the way........I see you are a brand-new member, with only 4 posts.
Old 05-26-10, 10:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Front plates were some of the first things to go when I moved to Georgia.

FYI, new fine for no front plate in CA is $178. It's getting expensive.
Old 05-26-10, 10:19 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got pulled over and cited for no front plate in my friends accord. but when i got pulled over last thursday(see lowered thread) he didnt mention it at all, i was quite pleased because i knew how much it was 3 years ago. i didnt even wanna guess how much it was now.
Old 05-26-10, 10:46 PM
miky702
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, it's all about fairness. If they gonna make it a law, they better really try hard to enforce it and not cherry picking on who to give ticket to. I got pulled over for just the front plate violation a couple of years ago, and nothing beat watching high rollers driving around in their mercedes, bmws, and ferraris with no front plates, while the cop was writing me a citation. (I was living in westwood ca at the time)
Old 05-27-10, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by miky702
To me, it's all about fairness. If they gonna make it a law, they better really try hard to enforce it and not cherry picking on who to give ticket to.
Even in states with two-plate laws, there are legitimate reasons/excuses for not having both plates.....theft, vandalism, damage from automatic-car-washes, minor accident damage, road debris, new front body work, etc.....

But that, of course, is only temporary, and one is expected to comply as soon as possible. You can't keep giving the same excuses over and over again.
Old 05-27-10, 11:09 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by miky702
To me, it's all about fairness. If they gonna make it a law, they better really try hard to enforce it and not cherry picking on who to give ticket to. I got pulled over for just the front plate violation a couple of years ago, and nothing beat watching high rollers driving around in their mercedes, bmws, and ferraris with no front plates, while the cop was writing me a citation. (I was living in westwood ca at the time)
That's very true. They'll never pull over an R8 on an SL.

I used to run no front plates, but I gave up after awhile because it was such a hassle to keep getting pulled over and having to deal with the fixit tickets. It's kinda nice now driving around and not having to worry about a cop having an excuse to pull you over.
Old 05-27-10, 11:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primecut
That's very true. They'll never pull over an R8 on an SL.
My friend was cited at SJ airport in his SL550 for no front plate late last year.
Old 05-27-10, 11:30 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Just wondering. If a foreigner driving in certain states that need front plates will they get stopped?

Seeing here in Quebec we have no front plates.
If you are asking if you'd be pulled over for driving your car with a Quebec license plate in a US state that has a front plate law, I believe you would not be pulled over for not having a front plate.

As an example, my parents live in Arizona, which does not issue from license plates and also allows window tint on the front side windows of cars (CA does not). When they drive to CA to visit, they do not get pulled over for those things. The laws apply to CA residents whose vehicles are registered in CA and people visiting are not expected to be in compliance with them.
Old 05-27-10, 05:39 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I've gotten 3 no front plate tickets this year, all in the West LA/Santa Monica/Westwood area. All were issued by meter maids when my car was parked, and I received 2 of them after 10:00 PM.

So if you're out that way, try to park in a lot instead of on the street if you don't have a front plate...
Old 05-27-10, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by primecut
I used to run no front plates, but I gave up after awhile because it was such a hassle to keep getting pulled over and having to deal with the fixit tickets. It's kinda nice now driving around and not having to worry about a cop having an excuse to pull you over.
An excellent post .......this shows common sense and maturity.

No matter what traffic law or regulation you are taking about, it's almost always better to be honest and obey the law, rather than to try and do your own thing and beat the system.........more often than not, it will end up beating you instead.
Old 05-27-10, 11:58 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Have never been pulled over or cited for a front plate. A cop like most people will pull you over for a variety of reasons and though some like to pull their information from Wikpedia on why things operate the way they do in the world, reality is, cops are people too, and have bias's, bad days, boredom,etc. To say a cop did or did not pull you over for just the plate is complete speculation as again, I know many dirty cops, racist cops, good cops, and just downright A$$hole cops that will pull over any little kid in a nice car because he needs to "put the punk in his place." Yep, that's a quote right there.

So do not put a cop or anyone regardless of occupation on a pedestal as there are plenty of bad apples everywhere.

Why did he pull you over? For a plate? Sorry, but there is more to it than just that, what it is the OP may never know.
Old 05-28-10, 12:00 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I've gotten 3 no front plate tickets this year, all in the West LA/Santa Monica/Westwood area. All were issued by meter maids when my car was parked, and I received 2 of them after 10:00 PM.

So if you're out that way, try to park in a lot instead of on the street if you don't have a front plate...
Yep, now they will cite you in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: after running no front plate for YEARS...finally got pulled over