Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pulled over for being to low...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 11:18 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulled over for being to low...

So last thursday we have our usual South OC meet. We met up at our usual spot, then headed over to K1 in Irvine, then Tastea. I was the last in line coming into a driveway. As usual i start at the far left, angled up and pointing directly at the right top side of the driveway. i look back in my rear view mirror and catch a glimpse of a cop pass, stop, and then back up. Immediatly i knew that it was gunna happen. We make it up the driveway(btw i was not slowing traffic or blocking anyone), the lights go on and i park and wait. He comes up to my rear of the car shining his spot light through the back window and has his flashlight pointing at my driver side passenger window. and says thereason i pulled you over is that your tint is too dark(understandable, 5% all around) and being to low? He ended up letting me off with a warning which i am happy for, because he could of very well written me a ticket.

I am wondering what is too low. i am not mad that i got pulled over. i am not angry with him. just confused. because he did no measurements. not anything, i am just wondering what are the limits. how low is to low. how high do you have to be. can anybody let me know if you got pulled over for being to low, what are the limits and what was the fine?

btw this in southern california
please read the whole post with grammatical errors and all
Old 05-26-10, 11:31 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he just wanted to let you know you be ballin'
Old 05-26-10, 11:37 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mv350
So last thursday we have our usual South OC meet. We met up at our usual spot, then headed over to K1 in Irvine, then Tastea. I was the last in line coming into a driveway. As usual i start at the far left, angled up and pointing directly at the right top side of the driveway. i look back in my rear view mirror and catch a glimpse of a cop pass, stop, and then back up. Immediatly i knew that it was gunna happen. We make it up the driveway(btw i was not slowing traffic or blocking anyone), the lights go on and i park and wait. He comes up to my rear of the car shining his spot light through the back window and has his flashlight pointing at my driver side passenger window. and says thereason i pulled you over is that your tint is too dark(understandable, 5% all around) and being to low? He ended up letting me off with a warning which i am happy for, because he could of very well written me a ticket.

I am wondering what is too low. i am not mad that i got pulled over. i am not angry with him. just confused. because he did no measurements. not anything, i am just wondering what are the limits. how low is to low. how high do you have to be. can anybody let me know if you got pulled over for being to low, what are the limits and what was the fine?

btw this in southern california
please read the whole post with grammatical errors and all
This might be covered under California Vehicle Code 24008 which states
"It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway."

Based on that, there's no hard numbers on suspension height/ground clearance, but looks to be relative to the wheel/rim combination on your car.
Old 05-26-10, 11:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

From an objective stand point ( non tuner as well ) the car is to low when you cant make it up a driveway easily or over a speed bump . If you have a collision from the rear with a higher SUV you could end up killing yourself and or hurting people in front of you. I had a dropped Prelude back in the day and I was hit from behind. My car went under a truck in front of me and stopped being crushed right at the base of the windshield. I got lucky. we generally dont think about stuff like that when we drop our cars but the cops do.

I would think the tint would be more of the reason for the cops to stop you
Old 05-26-10, 11:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bag the bags
Old 05-26-10, 12:00 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
hahahah i wish
Originally Posted by RX300-BV
This might be covered under California Vehicle Code 24008 which states
"It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway."

Based on that, there's no hard numbers on suspension height/ground clearance, but looks to be relative to the wheel/rim combination on your car.
im tucking most of the rear tire, thats probably why
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
From an objective stand point ( non tuner as well ) the car is to low when you cant make it up a driveway easily or over a speed bump . If you have a collision from the rear with a higher SUV you could end up killing yourself and or hurting people in front of you. I had a dropped Prelude back in the day and I was hit from behind. My car went under a truck in front of me and stopped being crushed right at the base of the windshield. I got lucky. we generally dont think about stuff like that when we drop our cars but the cops do.

I would think the tint would be more of the reason for the cops to stop you
i never really thought about it that way. thats actually scary.
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Bag the bags
not on bags, im on coils if i was on bags i woulda raised it up to make it up easy haha
Old 05-26-10, 12:20 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well your ticket likely doesn't say 'car too low' on it. What was the exact code on the ticket he said you were violating?

FYI, it was probably this:

Headlamps on Motor Vehicles

CVC 24400.

(a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be:

(1) Equipped with at least two headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24400.htm
Old 05-26-10, 12:23 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whoster
This
Old 05-26-10, 01:09 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Did you set off spark when pull up the driveway? Agree with others that he just want to check out the baller rides .
Old 05-26-10, 01:24 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have specific rules about modifications where I live. It's a safety issue. They don't want unsafe vehicles falling apart and endangering others on the road.

We are also required to have the middle of the headlight be at least 22" from the ground.

The description in that CA statute really sounds like it's saying your car cannot be lower than "on the ground", considering how low the lowest part of a rim can be on today's cars. Unless I'm misinterpreting that.
Old 05-26-10, 01:28 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

I think you got it right; I'm interpreting that as your car has to be the same distance off the ground as the height of your tire sidewall.
Old 05-26-10, 01:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Well your ticket likely doesn't say 'car too low' on it. What was the exact code on the ticket he said you were violating?

FYI, it was probably this:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24400.htm
Quote:
Headlamps on Motor Vehicles

CVC 24400.

(a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be:

(1) Equipped with at least two headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.

Thanks for posting this. I knew we were on the right track. Cool to see it actually quantified
Old 05-26-10, 02:07 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

On the flip side of this, I see many raised SUVs/Pickup trucks. They pose a pretty big safety issue IMO.
Old 05-26-10, 02:31 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Pics of your car so we can get a better understanding of how low you are??
Old 05-26-10, 03:44 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
I think you got it right; I'm interpreting that as your car has to be the same distance off the ground as the height of your tire sidewall.
That's what I'm reading too... if that's the case, that means it's almost impossible to be too "low" if you're running big wheels and low profile tires. I mean, the bottom of my wheel is prolly only 1-2 of inches off the ground, which means my lower bumper must be scrapping the ground for it to be too low. The car would be un-drivable anyways.

I think he only warned you because you got his attention by taking a wide angle into a driveway, which *could* be hazardous to traffic.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for being to low...