Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-10, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Cj
Thanks for the reply mmarshall!!!
Glad to help.

I didn't think of the Impreza but that definitely sounds like a great option for him.
Consumer Reports also recommends non-turbo Subarus for young people.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-10 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-29-10, 11:05 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by (Cj)
That's why the Yaris and most Scions aren't even on my radar for him. I hated that feature from day 1.

Sooo...

So far the list looks like this (in no specific order):

Subaru Imprezza

Subaru Legacy

Honda Civic

Honda Accord

Honda CR-V

Toyota Rav4

Acura RSX

Nissan Maxima

Volkswagen Jetta

Volvo S40

Mazda3

Mazda6

Chevy Impala

Ford Taurus

Some of the cars on that LONG list that I'm really interested in for him are the Imprezza (AWD ), Civic (cheap basic reliable transport), Rav4 (most utility/opt AWD), RSX (sportiest of the bunch), S40 (Volvo safety), and Mazda3 (most youthful IMO).

More suggestions are always welcome, and I'd love to have info from any past or current owners...
Besides gas, insurance cost is also a large factor in cost...The 2dr RSX will cost at least 25% more to insure over a sedan...
(95 ES300 was my first car, RSX in college)
Old 05-29-10, 12:07 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Another point to consider is sedan v. wagon. A wagon may hold more for the trips to / from school. But, a sedan's trunk hides stuff better and many kids I know keep half their possessions in their cars.

Another wagon idea is a Pontiac Vibe. Same as the Toyota Matrix, but without the Toyota premium price. You may also be able to find a late (00-02?) Chevy Prizm, AKA Corolla.
Old 05-29-10, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Another point to consider is sedan v. wagon. A wagon may hold more for the trips to / from school. But, a sedan's trunk hides stuff better and many kids I know keep half their possessions in their cars.
A wagon's cargo area is only more exposed if you do not use the cargo covers that are standard or available as accessories. And, even without a formal cargo cover, a simple blanket should do the trick.

The only real advantage of a sedan is that, all else equal, there is often less road noise coming from the rear end, because there are more panels to seal out noise between your ears and the rear wheel-wells. Wagons and hatchbacks tend to amplify the noise a little, because of the hollowness and more openness inside, without any bulkheads.
Old 05-29-10, 03:23 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Besides gas, insurance cost is also a large factor in cost...The 2dr RSX will cost at least 25% more to insure over a sedan...
(95 ES300 was my first car, RSX in college)
Aw, thats sad

Ok so the RSX is OFF the list.

Originally Posted by caddyowner

Another wagon idea is a Pontiac Vibe. Same as the Toyota Matrix, but without the Toyota premium price. You may also be able to find a late (00-02?) Chevy Prizm, AKA Corolla.
Yeah it would be a good idea to get a hatch, if I can find one. I'll add the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe to the list

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A wagon's cargo area is only more exposed if you do not use the cargo covers that are standard or available as accessories. And, even without a formal cargo cover, a simple blanket should do the trick.

The only real advantage of a sedan is that, all else equal, there is often less road noise coming from the rear end, because there are more panels to seal out noise between your ears and the rear wheel-wells. Wagons and hatchbacks tend to amplify the noise a little, because of the hollowness and more openness inside, without any bulkheads.
Thanks for the info!

I've found a used 2006 Imprezza online and I'll probably call the dealer tonight or Monday (if they're open) about it. The dealer is selling it for $9,500 which seems like a pretty good price!
Old 05-29-10, 05:19 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

2002-2004 Toyota Camry. great cars for the money, spacious, 158hp, safe, and looks decent. Good luck!
Old 05-29-10, 08:18 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
I would second this. I bought my youngest son a 94 Accord EX. It had about 70k miles on it. He beat the **** out of it for 110,000 more miles. Very few problems - made me a believer, cause that car went through hell
yep my gf bought a 94 Accord with 214000 miles a year ago and put on about 15k more on it. the engine is still running strong
Old 05-29-10, 08:26 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go for the Imprezza!
Old 05-29-10, 09:03 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

spend 1k on an E30 and the rest on mods.
Old 05-29-10, 09:13 PM
madoka
Pole Position

I vote Maxima.

1. They are cheap and bulletproof.

2. Maxima.org is a great resource for questions and problems.

3. It's a nice mix of luxury and power. Several of my friends that were given weak cars turned into sissy, grandma-like drivers.

Recently turned 250,000 on my Maxima:

Old 05-29-10, 09:55 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
2002-2004 Toyota Camry. great cars for the money, spacious, 158hp, safe, and looks decent. Good luck!
i second that! parents and i split the cost of an 03 camry, and it has been ever so reliable. plenty of leg room, has a decent exterior (much better than the most recent gen camry IMO), and gets pretty good gas mileage. its great for family trips and easily transported me to and from college every single day for three years. pretty good daily driver all around!
Old 05-29-10, 10:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I third the Honda Accord or Asian used mid-sized sedan. They are ideal first cars. Not too much power, not too small, and reliable. The only drawback would be older Accords get stolen often. So invest in an alarm and lojack.
More importantly, what people forget in this segment is you want a car that has some size to it. Since his odds are high he'll get into an accident, you want more metal around him. In a semi vs. a Versa, the Versa is going to get flattened. In a semi vs. a mid-sized sedan, you'll get flattened just a bit less. You want to get the odds on your (his) side as much as you can. You also absolutely for sure without a doubt do NOT want him in an SUV or anything higher off the ground. The higher center of gavitiy adds the roll-over element, which happens constantly with SUV's accidents (especially older ones w/o ESC).
Good luck!

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-30-10 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-29-10, 11:11 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may sound counterintuitive but ideally you want to get a vehicle that has the least power, least acceleration as possible. Why?

Simple - that way, when he "graduates" to his next car which will likely have more horsepower, he will appreciate it infinitely more.

I drove a base honda civic "value package" with 115 horsepower all throughout high school and college.

Graduating to an IS350 was an enormous step to the point where driving around in an IS350 a year later still thrills me to no end.

I would not have appreciated the power of a 300 HP luxury sports sedan had I started off in a reasonably high powered vehicle.

Plus, of course, there's the little fact about teenagers that age having underdeveloped prefrontal cortices that lends them to exercising unsafely aggressive driving behavior.

I'm no exception - even in my civic when I was still 18, 19 years old - I would mash the pedal around all the time. I definitely went through that "speed racer" stage that all guys seem to go through. Fortunately, my car was so relatively underpowered that I'd often go nowhere and my speed would be virtually maintained, especially if I was going slightly uphill.
Old 05-30-10, 12:25 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with carlx. i had a ~100hp/100lb of torque mazda protege. it had crappy acceleration and no torque. but it got me to school without any problems. i did some things that were sketchy.

i moved up to a IS250. not as powerful as a 350, but way more fun and torquey. i can appreciate the car way more.
Old 05-30-10, 03:26 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a 0-60 time one shouldn't go lower than for a new driver? Don't consider cars faster than 9.0 seconds? 8.0 seconds?

OTOH, a car that has crisp 0-30 times can be safer than a slow car. I was looking for an 83-85 MB 300D for one of my sons. (Never did find a good one.) I test drove a beautiful 78 240D, with one less cylinder and no turbo. Yikes, pulling out into traffic was a death wish.

Quick Reply: Car for 18 year old guy? Suggestions??