Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Amazing F1 race in Turkey

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 10:52 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Amazing F1 race in Turkey

That was an amazing race. McLaren and Red Bull matched for pace through the race. The crash between the 2 Red Bull drivers while leading the race, and then just 7 laps later a gripping dual between the 2 McLaren team mates who inherited the lead.

Gotta say, Vettel's problems have been a recurring theme for him. He is very fast but very crash prone. Lacks a cool head and judgement and that is why my money isn't on him.

The McLaren drivers on the other hand showed in their dual 7 laps later how it is done. I'm thinking other teams must be pretty envious of the Button-Hamilton pairing right now. I'm predicting Hamilton FTW in Canada.
Old 06-01-10, 01:47 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not believe the Red Bull boys took each other out, lost the lead in constructors points and despite all the speed they have this year Button and Hamilton are only a few back in drivers points.
Old 06-01-10, 08:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I need to start DVRing more F1
Old 06-01-10, 10:12 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Indio
I could not believe the Red Bull boys took each other out, lost the lead in constructors points and despite all the speed they have this year Button and Hamilton are only a few back in drivers points.
Yes it's astonishing. Especially when you take into account that Hamilton has had about 3 races where he had a setback and had to fight his way through the field.

Red Bull is very fast thanks to Newey but the lack of experience of both the team and the drivers is showing.
Old 06-01-10, 10:13 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
I need to start DVRing more F1
You should. There have been more overtaking maneuvres this season with only a third of the races completed than in the whole of the previous season. And there are 5 drivers who are in play to win the championship. It's a good year for fans.
Old 06-01-10, 01:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

vettel's attitude is ticking me off a little given the way he's handled things since he won a few races back. but at the same time, its clear that the team is showing more support for a Webber run for the championship, which i feel is still wide open for vettel this early in the season.

I wanna see Petrov and Sutil get into competative cars, both those guys have shown tremendous talent yet continuously get screwed over. Sutil by the Force India's lack of speed and (now better) reliability, petrov by other drivers >.<
Old 06-01-10, 01:50 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
vettel's attitude is ticking me off a little given the way he's handled things since he won a few races back. but at the same time, its clear that the team is showing more support for a Webber run for the championship, which i feel is still wide open for vettel this early in the season.

I wanna see Petrov and Sutil get into competative cars, both those guys have shown tremendous talent yet continuously get screwed over. Sutil by the Force India's lack of speed and (now better) reliability, petrov by other drivers >.<
I don't think RB is supporting Webber over Vettel. Webber was implying the opposite at the press conference when he suggested the press should dig a little deeper into why Vettel caught him.

The problem with Vettel is that he is great when he is leading from the front. However whenever he has to fight for the win he loses his cool and crashes. That's what killed his championship last year, and that's what will kill it this year. He doesn't have the steel nerves of a champion. Reminds me of Jean Alesi or Juan Pablo Montoya.
Old 06-01-10, 02:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw the crash and was blown away that the car got so airborne
Old 06-01-10, 02:47 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I don't think RB is supporting Webber over Vettel. Webber was implying the opposite at the press conference when he suggested the press should dig a little deeper into why Vettel caught him.

The problem with Vettel is that he is great when he is leading from the front. However whenever he has to fight for the win he loses his cool and crashes. That's what killed his championship last year, and that's what will kill it this year. He doesn't have the steel nerves of a champion. Reminds me of Jean Alesi or Juan Pablo Montoya.
Totally agreed! Though I think Vettel is still very young (isn't he only 20?), he still has time to improve.

The dual between the McLaren drivers was great! I wish that happens more often in F1. Too bad the rain didn't make it to the racetrack, that would have added even more drama.
Old 06-01-10, 03:03 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
Totally agreed! Though I think Vettel is still very young (isn't he only 20?), he still has time to improve.

The dual between the McLaren drivers was great! I wish that happens more often in F1. Too bad the rain didn't make it to the racetrack, that would have added even more drama.
Yes. He's 22. If he wins the world championship this year, he'll be the youngest champion ever. Hamilton won it at age 23 in 2008.
Old 06-01-10, 11:10 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. He's 22. If he wins the world championship this year, he'll be the youngest champion ever. Hamilton won it at age 23 in 2008.
Hamilton would have also won in 2007 if not for that hater Fernando Alonso.
Old 06-01-10, 11:12 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
That wasn't F1, the airborne crash was the Indy 500.
Old 06-02-10, 12:39 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What channel do they show F1 races on?
Old 06-02-10, 02:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Vettel did lose his head, no question about that. that being said, its rumored that there's a lift between the team and the drivers in general, with it being passed around that some feel that webber is "owed" the full support of the team being that he's not got all that long left in F1, and similar to Button last year, is "due" for a championship. Personally i want it to be whoever gets it, but this is a rough situation, with both drivers being very promising. Team orders are going to decide this.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Wrong series lol

Originally Posted by jwong77

the mclaren battle was barely that, it was what, a minute or two long? let petrov or sutil get in on the action, especially in the rain. THAT would be fun to watch.

Originally Posted by Indio
Hamilton would have also won in 2007 if not for that hater Fernando Alonso.
....and if he hadn't screwed up (or arguably, if the TEAM hadn't screwed up) in the China grand prix, when he went off on the pit in and got stuck in gravel. (lols )

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
What channel do they show F1 races on?
in the US it is shown on the SPEED channel.

PS: Hamilton's GF is hot , who's heard his championship night fail story!!
Old 06-02-10, 09:22 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
who's heard his championship night fail story!!
I haven't. do tell.