Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Manual transmission percentages for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 07:52 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shocked to see so many toyota manuals esp. with no more sports cars.
must be the scions.
Old 06-01-10, 08:12 PM
proximal
Driver

Originally Posted by STIG
I have the following theory why BMW has the highest percentage of manual drivers.

Automatic is optional for most BMWs, and cost about 2k.
I don't think the kind of people buying automatic BMWs are worried about the cost. Every BMW dealer I've been to in the past few years has maybe 4 or 5 (out of 100+ cars) manual transmission cars. Way less than the 17.3% number cited. So it's not an availability thing either, people are actually special ordering these cars.
Old 06-01-10, 08:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by proximal
I don't think the kind of people buying automatic BMWs are worried about the cost. Every BMW dealer I've been to in the past few years has maybe 4 or 5 (out of 100+ cars) manual transmission cars. Way less than the 17.3% number cited. So it's not an availability thing either, people are actually special ordering these cars.
I think you are right. A MT is BMW's heritage. Saabs too, which is why I don't understand the reason for the new 9-5 only being offered in an AT. I remember growing up in the early 90s and BMWs were big in my neighborhood, all of them equipped with an MT.
Old 06-01-10, 09:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmmmm, its a good thought.
I was half joking when I said that, but you never know. That could be true. A lot of BMW owners are posers (think base 323 or whatever). And also, BMW manual transmissions aren't that great. In fact, they are crappy compare to that of Honda's.
Old 06-02-10, 01:25 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Acura is at 5% for the TL. With the advancements in the automatic trasmissions with paddle shifting , atc the manuals just dont make sense for performance. The automoatics are faster and more comfortable......and even your wife/girlfriends can actually drive a performance car
In the present time, driving a manual is not about out performing the more advanced automatic transmissions that exist. It is purely for enjoyment.

Take a GT3 as a perfect example. This car is marketed (rightfully so) as being very "race" inspired, giving its driver fantastic feedback and control. It is supposed to be a connective and thrilling drive.

If Porsche wanted to, it would easily be able to replace its manual transmission with a PDK. But that's not what this car is about. Hell, it's not even offered in anything but a manual.

Performance oriented cars, whether its a supercar or just an entry level sports car, should always have a manual transmission as an option. Too bad many manufactures are sacrificing some excitement for marginal performance improvements.

I have respect for companies that give its customers a choice.
Old 06-02-10, 04:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Interesting stats.

Anyone have any ideas on why Toyota would sell such a high percentage of manual trucks...especially when compared to the other major truck brands?
What are the sales numbers of Civics vs. Corollas vs. Sentras? I would think this is a big factor.
Old 06-02-10, 06:01 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S8B
I have respect for companies that give its customers a choice.
Which is why I have always had a beef with MB. In the last 20 years their choices have been extremely limited. ...Lexus too.
Old 06-02-10, 09:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
I was half joking when I said that, but you never know. That could be true. A lot of BMW owners are posers (think base 323 or whatever). And also, BMW manual transmissions aren't that great. In fact, they are crappy compare to that of Honda's.
Good point, Mercedes manuals are pretty mediocre too, although I will stay out of the poser discussion.
Old 06-03-10, 09:30 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Local Acura dealer in suburbs of Chicago had 1 TL SH-AWD with manual transmission on their lot. They said they've had it since November 2009. Guess it's not all that popular.
Old 06-04-10, 09:47 AM
LexFather

It also means making a GOOD manual. Its harder to make a good manual with tons of torque, they just are harder to shift.

Lexus manuals in particular have always been awful to me. I know I have one I've driven the S2000 and its one of the slickest shifters around so its enjoyable.

Old 06-04-10, 09:49 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JackL23
S8B hit the nail on the head. It's all about the enjoyment of playing with 3 pedals and a stick.

I feel that driving a pure manual also keeps you more focused on the task of driving, but as with anything, that's debatable and varies from person to person.
I completely agree. I respect those who prefer the new automanuals. No diagreement that many are faster (especially on a track and with launch control) than a standard. My issue is that I just prefer the engagement, even on a day to day basis.

I will try and always buy a sports car with a manual, just my preference, but obvious that in only a few short years (ferrari already has called standards dead) they will no longer be available.
Old 06-04-10, 01:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
I will try and always buy a sports car with a manual, just my preference, but obvious that in only a few short years (ferrari already has called standards dead) they will no longer be available.
Amen. Not too worried though. I doubt that I would ever be able to own a Ferrari.
Old 06-04-10, 01:24 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Amen. Not too worried though. I doubt that I would ever be able to own a Ferrari.
Same here and if I do, it will probably be 355 or 360 (plenty of those in stick).
Old 06-04-10, 01:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
Same here and if I do, it will probably be 355 or 360 (plenty of those in stick).
I've always wanted to own a 545/550i and I see them in 6MTs all the time.
Old 06-04-10, 01:53 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Local Acura dealer in suburbs of Chicago had 1 TL SH-AWD with manual transmission on their lot. They said they've had it since November 2009. Guess it's not all that popular.
Not even remotely surprised. We have one 2009 Toyota left, a Matrix XRS Manual, and one 2010 Camry left.. also a 6-speed

Quick Reply: Manual transmission percentages for 2009