Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Roomy, Used SUV Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 04:11 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
Escalade

If he thinks that's too flashy, Yukon (but always opt for Denali)

Now, if he's willing to consider Bavarian things ... I've got suggestions there too
Hmm X5 anyone?? lol

Yeah Denali is a must. BTW do you still own your '03 FF? And if so How is it holding up? As much as I keep looking to add a sedan to our garage I keep looking back at an SUV....And you know my love for the RR.
Old 06-02-10, 04:44 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Ford Excursion Diesel, it gets pretty good mpgs for a big suv
Old 06-02-10, 04:47 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Used 04-06 Acura MDX can be had for well under 30k. Reliable and roomy. Also it doesn't leak oil
Old 06-02-10, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
Ford Excursion Diesel, it gets pretty good mpgs for a big suv
Horrible road manners. The steering, handling, ride, tracking, and braking on this vehicle is like a battleship. It is simply too heavy (almost 7000 lbs, unloaded) for the stock chassis and underpinnings. It is arguably the worst-handling mass-produced vehicle I've driven yet.
Old 06-02-10, 05:34 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Horrible road manners. The steering, handling, ride, tracking, and braking on this vehicle is like a battleship. It is simply too heavy (almost 7000 lbs, unloaded) for the stock chassis and underpinnings. It is arguably the worst-handling mass-produced vehicle I've driven yet.
they are great tow rigs when you want to take the toys on a long trip and stuff 4-5 big guys and all their gear in it
Old 06-02-10, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
they are great tow rigs when you want to take the toys on a long trip and stuff 4-5 big guys and all their gear in it
Yes, I agree......the Excursion pulls like a freight locomotive. But, unlike the competing Suburban/Yukon XL, which has far better road manners, the basic design is just too much for the underpinnings Ford gave it.
Old 06-02-10, 05:52 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Escalade

If he thinks that's too flashy, Yukon (but always opt for Denali)

Now, if he's willing to consider Bavarian things ... I've got suggestions there too
Originally Posted by LexLaw
Hmm X5 anyone?? lol

Yeah Denali is a must. BTW do you still own your '03 FF? And if so How is it holding up? As much as I keep looking to add a sedan to our garage I keep looking back at an SUV....And you know my love for the RR.
I'd agree with Fay that the Denali is probably the best choice.

The X5 is only a mid-size SUV, certainly not what I would call roomy. The third row option is a complete joke, but if that's not a requirement it's not bad. If you want to talk German with roominess and/or a useable third row, the GL is the only real option, but now the $30K ceiling isn't realistic.
Old 06-02-10, 05:58 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I'd agree with Fay that the Denali is probably the best choice.

The X5 is only a mid-size SUV, certainly not what I would call roomy. The third row option is a complete joke, but if that's not a requirement it's not bad. If you want to talk German with roominess and/or a useable third row, the GL is the only real option, but now the $30K ceiling isn't realistic.
Sorry you misunderstood.....I agree with you. I was replying in response to Fay's hint at Bavarian suggestion. The X5 by no means is roomy and that 3rd row is about as big as the back seat of my SC.
Old 06-02-10, 06:11 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Hmm X5 anyone?? lol

Still have it, still love it. It's out to pasture for the summer (it's hanging in the back yard, I should take a pic it really does look like it's out there playing)

Range Rover was Bavarian for a while ... just saying
Old 06-02-10, 06:47 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Still have it, still love it. It's out to pasture for the summer (it's hanging in the back yard, I should take a pic it really does look like it's out there playing)

Range Rover was Bavarian for a while ... just saying
Niiiice, lol. Yes you really should post pics of it. Indeed BMW did a great job with designing the Range Rover. We shall never forget, lol.
Old 06-06-10, 09:40 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Update:

It looks like he's going to focus on finding an 07 or 08 Chevy Tahoe with leather. He figures he's only owned Chevys (3) and he'll probably stick with them. Although, a nice 06 Yukon Denali or Escalade in the old body style may turn his head. My mechanic, who also sells car, has ties with GM and is looking for a good off-lease or factory truck for him.
Old 06-06-10, 02:57 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Tahoe / Yukon = same deal
Old 06-06-10, 03:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If he can get over the tacky bling-bling image of the Escalade, its not a bad truck. Nice and comfy, with some questionable materials and built quality of course, but not as bad as some other GM products.
Old 06-06-10, 06:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your son have children he needs to haul around too? Those GM vehicles mentioned are 7 haulers and if he doesn't need to haul that many people, then a mid sized SUV will do plenty of good driving for him to get in and out. Kind of a waste to get a Yukon just for the size if he's say driving only three people.

I would say the Terrain or Equinox will probably fit the bill too.
Old 06-06-10, 06:48 PM
LexFather

Can't go wrong with a Tahoe/Yukon, great big SUVs..

Quick Reply: Roomy, Used SUV Recommendations?