Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study finds 38 million Americans unfit to drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 05:30 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Just a minute, I'm taking the test on my iPad while I'm driving...
Sorry, I still haven't finished the test. I was just about done when approaching an interesection. Suddenly, some guy swung around a lady stopped at a green light(?) and he was coming toward me in my lane. When I swerved and flipped him the bird, I swiped my screen and lost my test. I made a U-turn and saw the woman now chasing the guy that swung around her. I saw her laying into him in a parking lot and I figured he was getting what he deserved.
Old 06-01-10, 05:36 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't understand your comment.

How does the public's lack of driving knowledge correlate to the speculation of third party profitability and detachment?
The insurance companies don't care what type of driver you are, they just want the monthly payments, I have known enough people who should not have been legally allowed to drive but because they had insurance they continued to drive.

Police departments are also to blame, they write the easiest revenue tickets they can find, everyday I see cops sitting in parking lots and cars weaving through traffic, one hand washes the other.
Old 06-01-10, 07:08 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

we have a lot of them here in Washington. every time i'm on the freeway everybody would just stop all of a sudden for no reason.
Old 06-01-10, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
The insurance companies don't care what type of driver you are, they just want the monthly payments, I have known enough people who should not have been legally allowed to drive but because they had insurance they continued to drive.
Insurance companies DO care what kind of drivers they have. If they didn't, they wouldn't drop or deny coverage to drivers who habitually get serious driving offenses or have chargable accidents. Yes, some companies accept high-risk drivers, but they charge very high premiums.
Old 06-01-10, 08:22 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is true, but let's be real now, it always seems to be the "other guy" that is the crazy driver or at fault.

I think people should all hold themselves more accountable.

I know for a fact that I have driven like a retard many a time in my day. It usually involves unnecessarily aggressive acceleration to get a quick cheap "high," and sometimes contributes to accident-prone scenarios.

I've also tailgated a car, sometimes (but not always) out of road rage, many a time in my day.

I'd guess that the best, most "high impact" fix we can all make is to increase inter-car distance from the ~.5 seconds-~1.5 seconds that most people seem to adhere to.... to the recommended 2+ seconds.

I'd wager lots of money that doing this simple thing would reduce road collisions a substantial amount.

Problem is, many people still believe that tailgating a person by remaining just ~1 second behind them on a highway will allow that person to get to his/her destination faster, when this is clearly ludicrous.

I don't think speed kills as much as tailgating does.
Old 06-01-10, 08:30 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Sorry, I still haven't finished the test. I was just about done when approaching an interesection. Suddenly, some guy swung around a lady stopped at a green light(?) and he was coming toward me in my lane. When I swerved and flipped him the bird, I swiped my screen and lost my test. I made a U-turn and saw the woman now chasing the guy that swung around her. I saw her laying into him in a parking lot and I figured he was getting what he deserved.
Strangely enough, this sounds like what happened to me on Sunday. So I ask again, why would you ever approach someone out of road rage? You can never truly know who that "nut job" is in the other vehicle.
Old 06-01-10, 09:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
..."American drivers need to make safety a top priority and be aware of the rules of the road at all times....
No they don't. They just need to buy a safe car. Ask any idiot on the road, especially the typical person driving a Volvo.

We've spent billions on improving the roads and adding safety features to the cars, but we've done practically nothing to address the driver's skills except complain about their lack of them.

I think we should have an annual driving test in a virtual environment to prove you actually have control of the car and have the ability to deal with distractions and adverse conditions. But this would interfere with the perceived "right" to drive.
Old 06-01-10, 10:43 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not suprised at all ... don't even get me started on the demonstration of stupid driving I saw over the weekend. It was almost enough for me to just say to hell w. living in a city ever, I'll take the middle of no where hick town as long as there are no extra stupid cars around.
Old 06-01-10, 11:17 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Common sense dictates that nobody can be a perfect driver, thus making all drivers to be unfit in one way or another.
Old 06-02-10, 03:44 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carLx
Problem is, many people still believe that tailgating a person by remaining just ~1 second behind them on a highway will allow that person to get to his/her destination faster, when this is clearly ludicrous.

I don't think speed kills as much as tailgating does.
I've noticed people who tailgate don't know how to pace themselves in traffic and drive according to and within the posted speed limits, I hate driving with someone so close to me I feel like they are in the back seat, so I now over time have changed my driving habits to slow down when people tailgate me cause now they are aware they are ontop of me and less likely to rear end me, and when I approach turns, I slow down twice as far away then what I would normally slow down.

In NY many times I would be driving 30 in a 30, and like usual would have a German car behind me riding my bumper, and soon as I made my turn would get the honk
Old 06-02-10, 04:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
It's not cool however that she used a ton of fowl language and there were lots of families in the parking lot. And why would you follow someone? For all she knew I could have had a knife. Makes me wonder if some kind of road rage training would do anything if it were mandated when getting a drivers license.
This is precisely what makes me keep my mouth shut most of the time. Some guy in Philly was just convicted for shooting a guy in the head, in front of the victim's 11 year old daughter, because the shooter cut off the victim on the highway, and the victim flashed his lights at him, and may have flipped him the bird. All while flying down the highway.
Old 06-02-10, 06:01 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is precisely what makes me keep my mouth shut most of the time. Some guy in Philly was just convicted for shooting a guy in the head, in front of the victim's 11 year old daughter, because the shooter cut off the victim on the highway, and the victim flashed his lights at him, and may have flipped him the bird. All while flying down the highway.
Yikes this is indeed scary.

It just doesn't end with an accident or a vehicle mishap.....but leads to road rage where people start brandishing weapons and kill someone for something like that.

Scary stuff indeed........
Old 06-02-10, 06:59 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know how many times I've had someone behind me just lay on their horn...pissed as heck at me...because I STOPPED before going right-on-red!!!

How dare I!