Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The peoples car getting cheaper (price wise)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10 | 06:31 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Default The peoples car getting cheaper (price wise)

According to a well-placed source at VWVortex, Volkswagen is set to release official photos of the new 2011 Jetta in about two weeks' time, and while the new compact sedan won't go on sale until sometime this fall, we'll be learning all about the new model over the course of the next month.

While the timing of the Jetta's release isn't a huge surprise (particularly considering the recent rash of spy shots), the real shocker could be the price. For the 2010 model year the cheapest Jetta will set you back $17,735, but word has it that the new model will start at just $14,950.

Volkswagen officials have long lamented how the dollar-to-euro exchange rate affects pricing of its wares, and recently, VW has been working to source more components and systems from dollar-zone suppliers. Hopefully, the drastically reduced price won't come at the expense of de-contenting and cheapening the interior of the new model. High-quality interiors have long been one of the hallmarks of VW products, so it's doubtful that V-Dub would go down market at the same time that Ford and GM are bringing serious competitive products to the segment. Expect more details to follow soon.
(Courtesy of Autoblog)

If this is true. Hats off to VW.
Old 06-01-10 | 08:11 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Let's hope the build quality does not suffer.

Oh, and reliability too.
Old 06-01-10 | 09:44 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I read about this in Automobile (i think?)

the VW Jetta is indeed supposed to come down in price.
Old 06-01-10 | 11:01 PM
Hoovey689

I too wonder if quality and materials used are going to suffer. Not to mention sliding back down that reliability ladder.
Old 06-02-10 | 12:48 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Something has to give... nothing is for free. It's either going to be decontented, unreliable, or cheap materials. If not, then this is one of the first examples of streamlining that did not effect the car's statue. And the first time a car maker has kept a promise to lower prices w/o sacrificing. I'll believe it when I see it.
BTW, doesn't this eat into the Golf's entry level position?
Old 06-02-10 | 09:49 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Something has to give... nothing is for free. It's either going to be decontented, unreliable, or cheap materials. If not, then this is one of the first examples of streamlining that did not effect the car's statue. And the first time a car maker has kept a promise to lower prices w/o sacrificing. I'll believe it when I see it.
BTW, doesn't this eat into the Golf's entry level position?
Not neccesarily. The Euro is trading at 1.2x the dollar, the same rate it was back in '05, so every dollar translates into more Euros than it has in the past few years. Add in a few lower cost parts and it could be an similar profit margin for VW.
Old 06-02-10 | 11:04 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I wish the new Golf's front end styling would get transferred to Jetta. It looks very sharp.
Old 06-02-10 | 02:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think this will make them more appealing. The VWs are usually a touch more expensive than the Japanese offering when equally equipped