Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Boss: Next Insight Will Beat Prius MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 08:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so in other words they completely missed the point with the insight, period
Not really. The Insight, IMO, does have better build materials and road manners than the 3Gen Prius. What the Insight does NOT have is a decent back seat or as refined/efficient a drivetrain.

Of course, with small hybrids, gas mileage is usually the name of the game, so, in that sense, yes, they did miss at least one major point.
Old 06-03-10, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. The Insight, IMO, does have better build materials and road manners than the 3Gen Prius. What the Insight does NOT have is a decent back seat or as refined/efficient a drivetrain.

Of course, with small hybrids, gas mileage is usually the name of the game, so, in that sense, yes, they did miss at least one major point.
that's like saying lexus builds a car for exotic market (lfa), which has great build quality but performance far behind the competitors. yes, that's missing the point completely. by then, no one cares how good the car is built. having better materials is good, but getting the fundamentals right is the very first step
Old 06-03-10, 09:09 AM
LexFather

I can't agree the Insight has better materials than the Prius. The Insight feels downright cheap and nasty inside compared to the Prius and the Prius isn't by any means luxurious.

Again I (and others) fully expected the current Insight to kick the Prius in the head. Honda had ten years to get it together in regards to hybrids. I honestly thought a Honda hybrid would be BETTER than a Toyota one.

Instead Honda gives us a Fit based Insight that looks like a Prius and gets Lexus HS MPG and pawns it off as some "hybrid for everyone" crap like a Prius was not affordable or something.

I am going to compile all the crap Honda/Acura has spouted off and make a thread. SHould be funny

Old 06-03-10, 11:15 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Honda Insight in a way help consumer. I believe because of the Insight, Toyota release a cheaper Prius to compete. No?
Old 06-07-10, 12:49 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wmb0000
I think the Honda Insight in a way help consumer. I believe because of the Insight, Toyota release a cheaper Prius to compete. No?
The $21,000 Prius I is intended for fleet buyers only. The Prius II is still the entry-level consumer-offered Prius.

Honda better aim high (and I don't mean 51mpg combined). Toyota isn't standing still with the Prius.... I'm just saying...
Old 06-07-10, 02:57 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I am surprised that you said that. I've been in both and I found 3Gen Prius has superior build quality over the Insight.

I feel bad for Honda. They used to be one of my favorite manufactures back in 2000s. S2000, NSX, Prelude, and Type R. They have turned everything around and now they are just a complete joke.
Old 06-07-10, 09:11 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STIG
I am surprised that you said that. I've been in both and I found 3Gen Prius has superior build quality over the Insight.

I feel bad for Honda. They used to be one of my favorite manufactures back in 2000s. S2000, NSX, Prelude, and Type R. They have turned everything around and now they are just a complete joke.
By a complete joke you meant "fun-to-drive" car, correct?
Old 06-07-10, 10:22 AM
LexFather

Complete joke as in:
-yapping their mouths telling us what is coming and nothing of interest comes
-canceling all sports cars
-no true hybrid technology (IMA is ASSIST hell it says ASSIST)
-vehicles are ugly as sin
-old engines from the 1930s
-no technology (Buick and Ford are laughing)
-5 speed automatics
-Hyundai has V8s before them
-Ridgeline is a joke
-offering Crossturds as X6 knockoffs
-CEO disses the LFA V-10 yet they had a V-10 mule as well
-the insight failed miserably
-they went from leaders to not even being good followers
-they used to do more with less, now they do less with more
-abandoning all us fans of them in the 80s/90s for oversize Pilots
-can't even make sales gains on all the bad Toyota news
-Honda owns Acura and Acura is an even uglier, bigger joke

Last edited by LexFather; 06-07-10 at 11:01 AM.

Old 06-07-10, 11:31 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wmb0000
By a complete joke you meant "fun-to-drive" car, correct?
Fun to drive?! Which ones in current their line up are fun to drive? Impress me.

If your definition of "fun" is having a pleasure from scaring the bejesus out of other motorists every time they see your car, then sure.
Old 06-07-10, 01:11 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Fun to drive?! Which ones in current their line up are fun to drive? Impress me.

If your definition of "fun" is having a pleasure from scaring the bejesus out of other motorists every time they see your car, then sure.
I think you misunderstood me. When you said it was a joke I was wondering if you meant their handling since you list like NSX S2000 Type R. But by all and all .. I think the Accord/Camry is a good competitor to each other same with Civic/Corrolla, Highland/pilot, crv/rav4,odyssey/sienna, fit/yaris .. odd ball for honda are element/ridgeline. The venza sure kill the crosstour and of course prius kill insight so ... but I don't think Honda is a joke .. they are like toyota in term that they produce cars that take you from point a to b without much soul in them ... also when I talk about Honda I would not include in acura since I look at them as separate division.

Also speaking in term of look for Honda here not Acura .. is definitely unimpressive, but beside the Venza I do think any Toyota as a looker either .. so they both about the same to me in term of look.

Last edited by wmb0000; 06-07-10 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I did a full review on both cars, and found the 3Gen Prius quite lacking in sheet metal and interior-trim solidness, especially compared the 2Gen model it replaced. On the other hand, the Prius, however, both 2Gen and 3Gen, clearly outdoes the Insight in back-seat room and powertrain engineering/refinement. My opinion stands on both issues, but I welcome other opinions, too....you are free to disagree with it.
Old 06-07-10, 01:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh hai guys!!!

Old 06-07-10, 01:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said by Stig: "I've been in both and I found 3Gen Prius has superior build quality over the Insight."

Same here, and I've done plenty of seat time in my friend's new Prius, it's no surprise to me why it's by far the best selling hybrid.

The solidness is sound and competitive for cars in this price range, interior is ok too. None of us have any way to measure sheet metal thickness, so I won't waste time on such a meaningless subjective observation.

The 3rd gen Prius is a huge improvement and the people that actually buy this kind of car know it.

Last edited by IS-SV; 06-07-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can't agree the Insight has better materials than the Prius. The Insight feels downright cheap and nasty inside compared to the Prius and the Prius isn't by any means luxurious.
Neither car is particularly impressive inside. But most of the Insight's plastics felt more solid, to me at least, as did its sheet metal (that's something we may just end up disageeing on). The Prius's pull-cargo cover felt paper-thin, and ready to rip apart, whan I tried it. The Prius also has that large, awkward hole under the console, with the rocker-switches for the heated seats down on the floor.

Of course, to be fair (and objective), interior quality is not necessarily with you buy a small hybrid for, but mileage and drivetrain engineering. And, there, it is no comparison. You won't hear any arguements from me on that one.....the Prius drivetrain kicks the Insight's butt....and so does is rear seat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-07-10 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The solidness is sound and competitive for cars in this price range. None of us have any way to measure sheet metal thickness, so I won't waste time on such a meaningless subjective observation.
True, but you can often gauge (no pun intended) its solidness by how easy it bends. And, there, I was defnitely not impressed.

Quick Reply: Honda Boss: Next Insight Will Beat Prius MPG