Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Boss: Next Insight Will Beat Prius MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 11:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Honda Boss: Next Insight Will Beat Prius MPG

of course by the time Honda comes out with the next gen Insight, the plug-in Prius will be out and they'll still be behind...!!

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/honda...mpg-27839.html

Home / News /

Published April 27, 2010
2010 Honda Insight

The 2010 Honda Insight has been a disappointment for Honda. The company is trying to learn from its mistakes by making the next generation Insight the industry's most efficient hybrid.

Takanobu Ito, Honda’s president, said last week that the company has grown “complacent,” and specifically pointed to its poor performance with hybrids as a key sign of the problem. To correct the situation, Ito is pushing his engineers to have the next-generation Honda Insight beat the Toyota Prius’s fuel economy numbers—and to deliver it as soon as possible.

"I'm not satisfied," Ito told Automotive News. In the first quarter of 2010, Honda’s share of the US market fell to 10.1 percent—from 10.5 percent a year earlier.

In concept, the Honda Insight was intended to compete as a more affordable alternative to Toyota Prius. But the price of the Insight, typically in the low $20,000s, is not the much cheaper than a Prius—and the fuel economy is considerably lower. The Prius gets 51 mpg in the city and 48 on the highway, compared with the Insight's 40/43. The copycat shape of the Insight added to the negative comparison with the Toyota Prius, which has outsold the Insight by about 5 to 1.

In addition to trying to beat the mileage of the Prius, Ito wants to roll out a new two-motor hybrid technical design—one motor employed to increase engine power and another to solely charge the battery. The new system is also likely to switch to lithium ion batteries from the nickel metal hydride technology currently in use. Honda will apply its new hybrid approach to a minivan and in Acura models. A rework of Honda's hybrid system could potentially create a technology pathway to plug-in hybrids.

More Lessons to be Learned

Honda’s new and improved hybrids are not expected until about 2012. Meanwhile, the company will introduce the Honda CR-Z hybrid coupe this summer. Unfortunately, the small hybrid could be another case of neither-here-nor-there, at least according to Graham at Fifth Gear, the British television show. The CR-Z looks sporty enough, but at 122 horsepower, it's “not blessed with red-blooded speed,” said Graham. At the same time, the fuel economy averaging at 37 mpg is only “reasonable” and “doesn’t sound that good next to a Prius.

et, Honda engineers and designers should take heed to Fifth Gear’s positive feedback on features that could be applied to future hybrids. Graham calls the interior “mad and brilliant,” and praises the availability of a six-speed manual gearbox—a first for hybrids. Given the CR-Z’s moderate level of high-speed handling and cool interactive dashboard features, the reviewer said, “You can’t accuse it of being dull.” Pricing in the US for the CR-Z has not yet been announced.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-02-10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 12:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda acts like there won't be a "next Prius" to go with their "next insight".
Old 06-02-10, 12:11 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

Seriously. The next Insight will match the current Prius and the next Prius will shame them both.
Old 06-02-10, 12:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda wishes the better car companies were standing still.
Old 06-02-10, 12:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

can they just make the car now?
Old 06-02-10, 12:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Honda acts like there won't be a "next Prius" to go with their "next insight".
That was my immediate reaction too. Don't they realize that they are announcing victory over a product that has yet to be created. For all they know, the next Prius could get 65 MPG in regular form. But they'll also be a plugin version and maybe Toyota will have a full electric as well.

Big deal if the next Insight beats the then 5 year old Prius.
Old 06-02-10, 12:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They will change their mind 40 times over before the next Insight is released. Normally I would poke fun at them and post a hilarious pic or two, but at this point I don't even care to.

All I can say to them is please STHU and make the car.
Old 06-02-10, 12:30 PM
LexFather

Honda now offers two models. The traditional Unicorn for things like Tier-1 luxury, V-8s, next NSX etc etc

Now they offer a "hybrid" unicorn mixing a troll with a unicorn that blurts out useless press releases in regards to hybrids

Old 06-02-10, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Even if Honda "were successful " in producing a next gen Insight that got better MPG's, It won't have better sales LOL
Old 06-02-10, 12:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I will believe it when I see it
Old 06-02-10, 03:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I WANT ONE!!!

(A unicorn, not a Honda Insight...)
Old 06-02-10, 03:29 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Honda's new President seems committed to changing the complacent attitude that has plagued Honda and allowed their competitors to become even more competitive. How is that a bad thing? Honda going back to its roots is a great thing, it'll only increase competition
Old 06-02-10, 03:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
So Honda's new President seems committed to changing the complacent attitude that has plagued Honda and allowed their competitors to become even more competitive. How is that a bad thing? Honda going back to its roots is a great thing, it'll only increase competition
You clearly forgot this is the same CEO that canceled the NSX and pretty much everything the companies blabbered about for a decade.

Sorry to tell you but Hondas time has passed. The 90s and early 2000s were their hey day. The competition has completely eclipsed them on all levels. They are down to their ultra loyal buyers as even loyal ones are moving on. Which is fine. They will stay a niche player.

Old 06-02-10, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Seriously. The next Insight will match the current Prius and the next Prius will shame them both.
The current Insight, IMO, is already ahead of the 3Gen Prius in general build quality (especially the interior materials) and road manners, but lags badly in powertrain engineering/refinement and rear-seat room. Driving an Insight is generally not a smooth experience, with with noticeable engine/transmission bumps as the IMA changes modes. Its rear seat room/access is also one of the worst I've experienced in a 4-door vehicle. And, of course, its EPA gas mileage also trails that of the Prius significantly.
Old 06-02-10, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I will believe it when I see it

........And I'll believe it when I FEEL it. The Insight needs a smoother-operating IMA-assist system (see my last post just above).

Quick Reply: Honda Boss: Next Insight Will Beat Prius MPG