Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is there a decline in car culture with the youth?
Yup
36.36%
Nope
18.18%
Internet isn't the issue...the Goats are
27.27%
Pron is the issue!
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Is digital revolution driving decline in U.S. car culture?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 05:45 PM
LexFather

I agree with the points about social interaction with the youth is failing. I actually marvel seeing some kids today almost be spooked to speak to others in person. As soon as they can they go on their iphone, laptop, mp3 player, video game etc.

I also think car shows have taken a hit. People seem less apt to pay the money to attend and to show (though some of it is their own doing for sucky shows).

Then on the other hand I haven't seen any reduction of people willing to meet or hang out. Meets seem to go on all the time (well not Lexus here, its like pulling teeth sadly). Instead of ricer Civics kids seem to be buying used luxury cars to mod.

Old 06-03-10, 05:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certainly a thought-provoking article, backed up with some interesting stats highlighting trends. I've noticed the decline in car culture over the years but never thought about some of the "digital revolution" aspects and the changes.

Maybe I need to go into rehab for car culture addiction.....
Old 06-03-10, 10:45 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Teachers are only part of the problem, but some of the stuff they teach about petroleum-burning vehicles destroying the planet doesn't help. That's not just a stereotype.
Thats only because there are state and federal standards on what are taught in schools.
You don't have don't have to believe in human-induced global warming (lets not get into that..) to know that Global supplies of cheap petroleum are running out. This has huge implications on the planning/building of our automobile dominated cities/sprawling suburbs.