Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Mini working on city car

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Report: Mini working on city car

Report: Mini working on city car

Here in the U.S., the Smart ForTwo has proven less than successful considering the needs of most of drivers. Sold here on the merits of its efficiency, the Smart's true element is in the cities of Europe, where the small size allows nose-in parking and a diesel powertrain that's actually pleasant to drive. Mini and its BMW parents think that there may be something to Smart's success, even though the company has said in the past that small city cars aren't profitable.

According to an Autocar source, a Mini city car concept may debut within the next year. Part of the impetus for the reversal is BMW's backing of a three-cylinder engine, as well as a heavy focus on component sharing with the upcoming BMW MegaCity and other models under the BMW umbrella, along with new production techniques. The car should be smaller than the current Mini, though larger than the Smart. Details like chassis layout and styling have not been divulged, though back in the Rover days, Mini showed off the Spiritual concept (pictured above) and there was talk of a production version. However, how it fares in the marketplace will hinge on how well BMW packs value and the trademark Mini verve into its tiny shell.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/03/r...g-on-city-car/
Old 06-03-10, 02:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BRING BACK STEVE URKEL's CAR!!!

Old 06-03-10, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Actually looks somewhat like a Nano. I suspect, however, that its engineering/build quality will be at least several grades above the Nano, which clearly is not adequate (or intended) for the American market.

The City-Mini, if it goes into production, will (marginally) compete with the upcoming Toyota/Scion IQ, Suzuki Swift, Mazda 1 and 2 and possibly the Nissan Leaf electric....though the City Mini seems to be slightly smaller than even them.

Here in the U.S., the Smart ForTwo has proven less than successful considering the needs of most of drivers.
The Smart-for-Two has actually sold quite well in my area, considering its dimunitive size. When I reviewed it about a month or so after it first debuted here, there was a 12-14 month waiting list for it (though the dealer had a couple of demos). Sales since then, of course, have subsided.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-10 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

The BMW Isetta is hilarious. I always get a good laugh looking at it.....and the Messerschmitt KR200, below.

(That same Isetta shot, BTW, was what I once had on my computer at work as my screen wallpaper icon)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-10 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 10:40 PM
proximal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually looks somewhat like a Nano. I suspect, however, that its engineering/build quality will be at least several grades above the Nano, which clearly is not adequate (or intended) for the American market.
That's actually a 15 year old design proposal for what became the 2002 MINI. It has an inline 4 mounted in the back and hydroelastic suspension. There's a bit of history about it here.