Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

A Review of the of the 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impre...ort/index.html

In a Nutshell: A smaller, cheaper alternative to the regular Subaru Outback, but lacks the ground clearance and cargo space.

(Some Ivory steering wheels, like these, seem to have been replaced with black ones on some of the 2010 Ivory interiors....it is unclear if that is an assembly-line running change)

I wasn't necessarily planning on reviewing this car today, but I had my own Outback up at my local VW-Subaru shop for routine service (I can do some things myself, but not everything), and, while waiting for my own car, thought I'd take another look at the smaller, less expensive Outback Sport. I had driven and reviewed the Impreza and Outback Sport when they were redesigned 2-3 years ago, but was not impressed with the noisy ride from lack of insulation in the wheel wells and the poorly-designed roof bars. The same generation Impreza, of course, remains in production for 2010, but, since Subaru claims some production improvements since 2008, I thought I'd go ahead and start over, with a new full-review. I was also interested in the car myself as a (possible) next purchase, mainly because of the engineering/design goofs in the new 2010 Legacy/Outback models (while I was there, I spoke with the Service Manager and Service Director about the front suspension and steering problems in the new 2010 Outbacks, which affect some, but not all of the samples, and what Subaru of America is doing, and not doing, to try and address them). I had originally considered a new Outback this year (I've been extremely pleased with my old one), but the potential problems on the new ones, of course, have put that on hold indefinitely. In the meantime, a couple of nice little Outback Sports were out there on the lot, just begging for a test-drive, so they tossed me the keys and a dealer-plate (they know me so well there that they usually don't Xerox my driver's license or make me sign any papers for a test-drive), and it was off to another review.

The Outback Sport has been in production for some time now, having started out as a high-line, two-tone version of the regular Subaru Impreza Sportwagon with a standard Cold-Weather Package, roof bars, and slightly raised suspension/ground clearance. I've always liked it, but not as much as the regular, larger Outback, and it has tended to ride a little stiffly for my tastes (the overall ride has now been improved.....more on that below). It has also had some styling quirks ove the years, like the odd Alfa-Romeo-type grille that Subaru used on the Impreza and Tribeca lines a few years ago (the new one is also not free of styling quirks, as I'll get to later).

For 2010, the Outback Sport remains as the top-line version of the non-turbo 2.5L Impreza series....and is currently the only remaining classic two-tone Subaru in the American market. I'm generally a big fan of two-tone paint jobs, but most automakers have eliminated them to (what else?) cut costs. As I indicated above, I wanted to check it out specifically as a possible smaller, cheaper alternative to the regular Outback, so a number of comments in the review will compare it to its big brother. It is reasonably-priced, being only a couple of thousand more than regular Imprezas (which start around 18K), and, IMO, gives a fair amount of equipment for the money, though perhaps not quite the extreme bargain that the AWD Suzuki SX-4 is. American-market versions come with (of course) the ubiquitous 2.5L Boxer flat-four with 170 HP and 170 Ft-lbs. of torque. Transmission choices include a standard 5-speed manual and a rather old-school but (now) silky-smooth 4-speed automatic with manual Sport-Shift. The manual tansmission includes Subaru's famous Hill-Start Assist, which automatically holds brake pressure on an incline to keep the car from rolling back when starting on hills until the clutch is released. And, of course, a Subaru wouldn't be a Subaru without AWD...the Symmetrical AWD is standard. The base price also includes two-stage heated front seats and electrically-defrosted windshield wipers for winter.

For the review, I chose an automatic Sage Green/Silver Metallic model with a few useful options. Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Subaru Impreza outback Sport

Base Price: $19,995

Options:

4-speed SportShift Automatic Transmission: $1000

Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass: $195

All-Weather Rubber Floor Mats: $69 (not a bad price for a factory-set of four)

Bumper Cover: $71 (It actually covers the lower-grille, not the bumper)

Alloy-Wheel Lock-Nuts: $42

XM Satellite Radio Package: $427

Destination/Freight: $695 (slightly less than average for today's charges)

List Price as Reviewed: $22,494

Drivetrain: Symmetrical Full-time AWD, 2.5L Boxer flat-four, 170 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 170 Ft-lbs. @ 4400 RPM,
4-speed Sport-shift automatic transmission.

EPA Mileage Rating: 20 City, 26 Highway

Exterior Color: Two-Tone Sage Green Metallic/Steel Silver Metallic

Interior: Ivory Cloth

PLUSSES:

Base price includes Cold-Weather Package.

Boxer flat-4 engine much more refined in recent years.

Silky-smooth automatic transmission in both manual and auto-modes.

Fairly well-done brakes.

Almost BMW-grade power steering.

Fairly smooth ride on good road surfaces.

Attractive (IMO) alloy wheels.

Durable, proven AWD system.

Good reliability record.

Better wind/road noise insulation than before.

Roof-rack wind-noise problems (apparantly) solved.

Fairly quick steering response.

Good underhood layout.

Nice hood-struts unusual in this class.

Nice paint job, except for masking-line.

Attractive two-tone colors...the only true (painted) two-tone Subaru left.

Honest-to-goodness body-side mouldings....and two-tone to boot.

Attractive (IMO) though somewhat flashy rear taillights/trim.

Good exterior hardware/trim.

Doors now include fully-framed windows.

Standard leather-wrapped steering wheel.

Standard protective vinyl/rubber cargo-area tray.

Quick, snap-to-attention power windows.

Attractive but overly-plastic interior dash and trim pattern.

Well-padded elbow rests in the doors.

Good front/rear headroom without sunroof.

Clear, simple gauges.

Simple, easy-to-use *****/buttons/controls.

Better-than-average reliability record.

MINUSES:

Full-time AWD uses more fuel than most small cars.

Lacks the ground clearance, visibility, and cargo space of the larger Outback.

Controversial rear-end styling.

Rear roofline and hour-glass-shaped D-pillars impede rear vision.

50-series tires firmer than necessary over sharp bumps.

Some body roll with sharp steering inputs.

Smallish exterior mirrors.

Some exterior chrome trim now replaced with silver-metallic paint.

Only 5 exterior paint choices (but all are nice two-tones).

Two-tone paint-masking line is not flawless.

No engine-temperature gauge (there's no excuse for this).

Questionable fuel-gauge sensor.

Tight rear-seat legroom and footroom.

Too much hard plastic on the dash and door panels...but the plastic feels durable.

El Cheapo, very unpleasant-feeling sun-visors.

Cheap headliner fabric.

Old-fashioned side-column ignition switch and key.

Unimpressive, Ho-Hum cloth seats.

Annoying zig-zag shift-lever pattern.

OK but not particularly good stereo sound quality.

Large but somewhat awkward manual-seat adjuster handles.

Stop screwing around, Subaru, and give us those Euro-market diesels.

EXTERIOR:

The general styling of the latest-generation Impreza/Outback Sport line, especially the hatchback versions has, in some ways, been controversial since its 2008 debut...and that, of course, replaced the equally controversial front end/grille styling of earlier models. The 2010 Outback Sport, of course, is pretty much the same on the outside as the 2008 and 2009 model. Some of the exterior chrome trim on the 2008-2009 models, such as grille parts, door handles, and side-mouldings, have been replaced with silver-metallic paint (I, of course, preferred the chrome). The overall shape is unique and, unlike that any other American-market Subaru (or, for that matter, any other car in its class). The front end is fairly conventional, but the oddly-shaped rear, with the big, hour-glass-shaped D-pillars, smallish rear window, and moderate-droop roofling draws some controversy. The rear-end styling also blocks some outward vision...more on that below. However, I really liked the two-tone paint work, which, as I mentioned above, is becoming a rarity these days. Subaru, hovever, on the Outback Sport, offers only five two-tone color choices, and, of those, I see little sense in the two-tone Silver one. The general paint job is done quite well (much better than on some past Subarus, but the two-tone paint-masking lines on the lower body are not flawless....you can feel a very small ridge with your finger, where the two colors come together. For this price, of course, you can't expect a Rolls-Royce, Bentley, or Maybach two-tone paint job.

The general sheet metal quality on the outside seems good. The doors, unlike past Imprezas, now have fully-framed windows that lessen the tendency of the windows to pop out of their channels (I never had a problem with that in my own Outback). The doors themselves, though, don't feel quite as thick or solid as in past versions...perhaps either cost-cutting or an attempt to save weight. The roof bars have (apparantly) been tweaked some...they don't have the annoying loud whistling noise at speed that they did a few years ago (more on that below). The twin outside mirrors have reasonably solid plastic housings, swivel smoothly/easily and lock securely, but the mirror faces, IMO, are a little small. And the side doors have well-designed body-side mouldings to protect against parking-lot dings.....these mouldings are something that many automakers (including Subaru) are quietly eliminating on a number of models. I especially liked the looks of the mouldings on the Outback Sport...they stand out from the upper-body color, and match the silver lower-body paint. I also liked the look of the Outback Sport's silver, 6-spoke alloy wheels (though the traditional 5-spoke would, IMO, look better). One major drawback of the new Outback Sport, though, especially for a winter-designed car, is that it sits quite low and clearly lacks the deep-snow, road-debris, and parking-lot-curb ground clearance of its big-brother Outbacks (one reason why I bought an Outback myself). In the past, The Outback Sport, though still lacking the ground clearance of Big Brother, formerly sat up a little taller than regular Imprezas. That does not (seem) to be the case any longer, though Subaru does not publish the ground-clearance specs for either the regular Impreza or the Outback Sport in the brochure to verify it, like they do for the regular Outback.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid-feeling hood, and, as on all new Subarus, two nice gas-struts greet you to hold it up without a prop-rod. The Impreza is, as far as I remember, currently the only small car in this class that has them. I forgot to check for an underhood insulation pad, though, like I usually do, but the specs don't mention one, and I don't remember seeing one. Still, the Boxer engine is much quieter and more refined than on Subarus of time past....more on that below.

The basic underhood layout is pretty much the same as with most 2.5L, non-turbo Subarus. The engine, true to its basic design, sits low, flat, and wide, and the alternator is high, up front and on top, for easy reach. N/A 2.5L Subarus don't get a plastic engine cover, so there's generally room to reach most of the top-engine components, and some of the ones down on the sides. The battery is off to the right, again without a cover, and easily reached. The big yellow oil dipstick and filler cap are monkey-simple to find and use. The oil filter and drain plug, on this engine, hang down low, just behind the bumper, and easily reached, although, because of the fairly low ground clearance, not as easily-reached as with the same engine in the regular, higher-stance Outback. All of the other dipsticks, reservoirs, and filler-caps are reasonably easy to reach. This is generally a good engine for DIY'ers, though, as I mentioned, the lower ground clearance makes it more difficult than with the regular Outback.

INTERIOR:

The interior, for the most part, is almost identical to that of the regular Impreza 2.5i hatchback, with a couple of small exceptions like a minor difference in the cloth-seat pattern and the Outback Sport's heated-seat switches on the center console. Normally, I like cloth seats, but in this case, I wasn't impressed with the cloth seats in either version....and leather is not available. The seats in both versions were rather small for people my size, not particularly supportive, and the unimpressive cloth in both versions (regular cloth and Tricot), IMO, looked and felt cheap. There were BIG, manual seat-adjusters that were easy to find and grip, but had a somewhat awkward feel and pump-action. My test car lacked a sunroof, and with the seat cushions down low, there was enough headroom up front for a person of my height (6' 2"). Even with the slight droop of the rear roofline, it was still high enough to give decent headroom in back, too. Legroom was fine up front....but both leg and footroom (for my big size 15's) were tight in back.

There was WAY too much hard plastic in the interior for my tastes, although, to be fair, it had what was, IMO, an attractive trim pattern, especially on the dash. And, to be fair, it seemed to be mostly durable, high-quality plastic, and not the cheap junk found on some vehicles. The door handles were chromed....a nice touch. Another one nice touch, and an exception to the acres of hard-plastic, were the small but VERY well-padded black elbow-rests on the door panels (more comfortable, in fact, than those on Big Brother Outback). Past Ivory interiors, on the 2008-2009 models, had a matching ivory-colored leather-wrapped steering wheel (which I liked), but it seems to have replaced with a more traditional black one for 2010 (see my note on the images above). As with most Subarus, I liked the steering wheel's shape, grip, and texture.

The larger Outbacks converted to an electronic push-button parking brake this year, but the Impreza and Outback Sport still have the pull-up handle between the seats. All of the interior hardware was solid and felt durable, except for the aforementioned manual-seat adjusters, and the power-windows snapped-up-and-down to attention fairly quickly when you hit the switch. The stereo sound quality was OK but not killer-grade, and the simple *****/controls, mounted high on the center-dash, were easy-to-use, though the on-off/volume and tuning ***** felt a little small for my big fingers. The digital readouts were in the center of the stereo, not way up at the base of the windshield like on some cars, but Subaru DID decide to put the outside-temperature readouts and trip-computer info up there (at the base of the windshield), instead. The manual climate-control ***** (an automatic system is not available) are pretty much the same style....and rotation.....as in most other Subarus. The A/C itself also seemed more consistant in cold temperature delivery than on some previous Subaru units, varying less between idle and faster engine RPMs. The gauges are clear and easy-to-read, although taller people may have to adjust the seat down all the way, and adjust the steering wheel full-up, to keep the top of the speedometer and tach from being hid by the top of the wheel rim.

There were several other features inside I did not like....besides the unimpressive seats and too much plastic. One was the substitution of blue/red engine-temperature idiot lights for a proper dash gauge, which, IMO, is idiotic for two reasons.....first, the Japanese-market models DO get the gauge, and, second, the U.S. market WRX and STi also get the gauge. So why not the non-turbo models and the Impreza GT?. Come on, Subaru...this is nonsense. Even worse, IMO, are the cheap, hard materials used on the sun visors, which are awful and look/feel like hard stucco, and the paper-thin fabric headliner, which feels more or less like the inside of an eyeglass case. However, El Cheapo sun visors aren't limited to this car alone...I've seen them on a number of newer vehicles, especially low-end ones.

And the fuel gauge acted rather strangely.....I don't know if this was a sample defect on this particular car, or inherent in the design of its sensor/sending unit. When I pulled out of the lot on the test-drive and got a couple of blocks away, I noticed that the needle was riding on empty, with the yellow low-fuel warning-light on. So, not wanting to have to walk back to the dealership, out of fuel, on a hot and humid day (or be towed back), I stopped at the nearest station and put in a couple of gallons of 87-Octane.....enough, at least, for my planned test-drive. Given the Impreza's (estimated) fuel capacity of 10 to 12 gallons, which is about what many cars in this class hold (again, I didn't see the capacity published in the brochure), I expected the needle to move up a little and the yellow light to go out..........but that didn't happen. I knew, of course, I had at least enough fuel for the test-drive, so I didn't worry about having to walk back, but, it's just something to watch for in this car. I myself, of course, don't let my own gas tank get lower than half-to-one-quarter full, especially in the winter, to keep condensation out.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Generally not one of the car's better features, especially by hatchback/wagon standards, although, like on most other Subarus wagons above the base level, a nice, custom-fitted vinyl/rubber cargo tray to keep the carpet clean and dry is standard. The cargo bed itself is rather short, and that, along with the slightly drooped-rear roofline, does rob some cargo space in the rear.....you're clearly not going to be able to carry as much as the regular Outback. A standard cargo pull-shade cover to hide valuables (with a durable-feeling wind-up spring that feels like it won't wear out quickly) is standard. The car sits lower, and the hatch lid doesn't open as high off the ground as the regular Outback's, so you have to watch your head a little more. The carpeting on the floor and walls (Beige/Ivory on my test car), was thin but reasonably nice-feeling (if you use the cargo tray, of course, you won't be feeling it much). Plastic grocery-bag and tie-down hooks are provided. The cargo-pull shade and its hardware, like most hatchbacks, can be removed, and the 60/40 split-rear seats fold down for added cargo space. Under the cargo-tray and floor is, of course, a temporary spare tire. With any AWD Subaru (and with many other center-differential-equipped AWd vehicles), special instructions sometimes have to be followed with using temporary spares, sometimes with pulling the AWD-control fuse....check the Owners' Manual for details. Because of the big, hour-glass-shaped D-pillars and the droop of the rear roofline, vision out the back, from the interior, is also somewhat compromised, especially compared to the larger Outback.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquitous, Old Faithful 2.5L boxer-four with an old-fashioned side-column ignition switch and key (I generally prefer the newer push-button starters and proximity keys, but it is no big deal), and the engine comes to life with just a faint trace of the old boxer growl. Subaru has worked for years to rid this engine of its noise/vibration/harshness (NVH) problems, and, while not Lexus-refined by any means, that effort shows. There is some exhaust-noise-chuffle on acceleration, but the exhaust note now seems noisier then the engine itself. A non-turbo engine of this size, hooked to a conventional 4-speed automatic and the weight/drag of full-time AWD, is naturally not going to be a powerhouse, but the 170 HP Impreza doesn't do bad at all, and can easily get out of its own way as long as the car is relatively unloaded (I didn't test it with a full load). The response seemed a little stronger than older Big-Brother Outbacks with the same drivetrain (which, of course, are heavier), and about equal to the new non-turbo 4-cylinder Outback with the CVT transmission. This engine, at one time, unlike the older, smaller Impreza 2.2L, had noted head-gasket issues, but those generally stopped after about 2002-2003.

The conventional torque-converter 4-speed automatic is somewhat dated in design but, nontheless, is silky-smooth, shifts almost imperceptably (at least when brand-new) like that of a Buick or Cadillac, and, though lacking shift paddles, does have a separate, lever-operated manual Sport-Shift gate. The shifter action, like the shifting itself, is smooth and slick, but the zig-zag shift pattern (why do auto manufacturers keep doing that?) is annoying. I would prefer to see at least 5 gears, as the the 4-speed overdrive, with its wide ratios is a little inflexible, but many other lower-level cars also have 4-speed automatics (GM still uses them even in some of its larger cars, too), so I won't complain much about it.

I have mixed reviews on the chassis and steering. The power-steering system itself is superb....responsive and almost BMW-like in its firm road-feel, but body roll and understeer, from the fairly soft suspension, is marked if you do sharp steering input. The suspension, as noted, is a little softish, and, on good road surfaces, gives generally good ride comfort for a small car, but the 17", 50-series tires on the Outback Sport react to sharp bumps with a small amount of harshness. The 16", 55-series tires on the lower-line Imprezas would give a slightly smoother ride.....at least from what I remember from my last Impreza test-drive. Road/tire noise, BTW, is one area where the new 2010 Impreza seems to be much-improved from even last years's model. The redesign in 2008 brought with it a lot of road-noise from (what I suspect) was Subaru skimping on wheel-well insulation, but now is noticeably improved, and quieter, from just last year alone. Wind noise, as expected from the new fully-framed window/door assemblies, is also down.

Brakes were generally well-done, although non-turbo Subarus have never been known for Porsche-like brakes. The braking action is smooth, doesn't have much sponginess in the pedal, and is well-modulated. The Impreza's brake pedal is higher and slightly away from the gas pedal, but not enough to make it very easy to snag my big size-15 shoes on the bottom of the brake pedal while taking it off the gas....a problem with some vehicles.

THE VERDICT:

Though there are several things I dislike on this car, I could probably live with this car (if I decide to get one) as a daily driver. It has, of course, the superb Subaru AWD system, a good reliability record in the post-2002 versions (approaching that of the better Honda/Toyota models), one of the auto industry's last remaining low-priced two-tone paint jobs, a well-done power-steering system, and, IMO, an attractive dash trim-pattern despite its acres of hard plastic, and comfortable, well-padded place to rest your outer elbow (you would be surprised how many cars lack this).

But there's no doubt that I'd miss the Big Brother Outback's ground clearance, unhindered cargo space, (slightly) smoother ride, better rear-vision, and much better seats, especially the newer, softer, comfortable leather seats on the 2010 Outback Limited. But, unfortunately, a new Outback is out of the question for me right now, as the front suspension and steering-shimmy problems are being worked out. I'll either wait, keep what I have now (so far, it's been a great car) or look at something else.

So much for me.....now how about the rest of you? The outback Sport, like its slightly cheaper non-turbo Impreza cousin, the Suzuki SX-4, and AWD Toyota Matrix, is a great entry-level AWD car for all-weather use, and has proved reliable for some years now. Any one of these cars would make a great gift for a college student going away to school in a bad-weather area, or just a nice commuter car you can depend on in the winter, though, of course, as I stated, they lack Big Brother Outback's SUV-like round clearance for really deep snow. I wouldn't recommend the Outback Sport or Impreza as a good vacation car, though, except for just one or two people, because of its limited interior room and skimpy cargo space by hatchback standards.

And, as always............Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 02:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

WOW! Another excellent review . I have to say that we all appreciate the time and effort that is required to do a write up as complete as your. Thanks again buddy for enriching Club Lexus. We are lucky to have you
Old 06-05-10, 02:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
WOW! Another excellent review . I have to say that we all appreciate the time and effort that is required to do a write up as complete as your. Thanks again buddy for enriching Club Lexus. We are lucky to have you
Thanks. In this case, I had some extra time to kill yesterday, and simply decided to put it to good use.

We can also all be happy, as CL members, that our colleague, Josh (ArmyofOne) got back from Iraq OK.

I'm still waiting for the new Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Eqqus, and Jag XJ to show up...they're CL-requested and still on my list. I'm crossing my fingers, though, for an XJ test-drive.

Congragulations, BTW, on your more than 10,000 posts, if no one else has mentioned it. 10K posts is a CL milestone.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-10 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 02:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

God the XJ is going to be nice. I love the sportiness of the XF but I am so happy they are bringing back the XJ better than ever. I would love to read one of your reviews on the Hyundai Eqqus.
Old 06-05-10, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
God the XJ is going to be nice. I love the sportiness of the XF but I am so happy they are bringing back the XJ better than ever. I would love to read one of your reviews on the Hyundai Eqqus.
Yes, I'm looking forward to the Eqqus, too. That car is purposely-designed by Hyundai to compete with upper-level Lexus products, something the company, even with its vast increase in quality/refinement in the last 10 years, has never tried to do before The Veracruz, Hyundai's top SUV, in some ways, loosely competes with some of the Lexus RX models, but lags well-behind in sales.
Old 06-05-10, 02:43 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much appreciated. I shall send this to me my brother as we were hashing over whether it was worth it or not get the Impreza or the Impreza Outback to replace his IS300. I said to just go with your standard Impreza.

My chief complaint about this car is the 4 spd auto. My brother lives in the city of Philadelphia, drives for a living, so he did not want to commit to a MT with constant stop and go. However, this 4 speed was dated even back when I had a '96 Legacy GT. From what I have heard, it isn't quite is harsh as it was. I know that cost is a factor, but one would think that Subaru's 5 speed would have pervaded their lineup after it debuted 6 years ago. Rumors of the CVT for the Impreza and Forester have been just that, rumors. Nevertheless, we have had three Subarus, all of which have been good cars. A fourth I am confident will be regarded in the same manner.
Old 06-05-10, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Much appreciated.
Sure...anytime.

I shall send this to me my brother as we were hashing over whether it was worth it or not get the Impreza or the Impreza Outback to replace his IS300. I said to just go with your standard Impreza.
You'll save a little money (not a great deal) with a standard Impreza 2.5i, have the choice of a sedan or hatchback (the Outback Sport is hatchback only), have the same identical drivetrains, have a slightly smoother ride with the Impreza's 55-series tires, and, if you want, can add the Impreza Premium Package which has some extra goodies with it. But you still have to buy the Outback Sport if you want the two-tone paint, heated-seats and electric wiper-defrost for cold weather.

A little bit of history repeating itself here, with your brother? I once has an IS300 myself, and, though it was a great car on dry pavement, decided to go the AWD Subie route myself.

My chief complaint about this car is the 4 spd auto. My brother lives in the city of Philadelphia, drives for a living, so he did not want to commit to a MT with constant stop and go. However, this 4 speed was dated even back when I had a '96 Legacy GT. From what I have heard, it isn't quite is harsh as it was. I know that cost is a factor, but one would think that Subaru's 5 speed would have pervaded their lineup after it debuted 6 years ago. Rumors of the CVT for the Impreza and Forester have been just that, rumors. Nevertheless, we have had three Subarus, all of which have been good cars. A fourth I am confident will be regarded in the same manner.
The latest 4-speed, for 2010, yes, is still a little dated, and has rather widely-spaced gear ratios, but shifts (at least when brand-new) as smoothly as a big Buick....it is anything BUT harsh. Subaru's policy, however, right now (and I disagree with it) is to sell only the 4-speed auto and 5-speed manual with all of the Imprezas except the WRX and STi.....even the turbo Impreza GT. Cost-cutting is an obvious reason....the 4-speed costs less to produce. Only the 3.6R H6 models, at present, get the 5-speed automatic.

I would not be surprised at all to see the 2.5i Impreza and Forester lines get the CVT next year.....though, like you, I'd rather see them get the 5-speed auto than the CVT. Here's a good website to keep up with it on:

http://www.cars101.com/impreza.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-10 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 03:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A little bit of history repeating itself here, with your brother? I once has an IS300 myself, and, though it was a great car on dry pavement, decided to go the AWD Subie route myself.
And that is exactly it. I've driven the IS in rain and snow and it just kind of sits there and spins its tires. And since Philadelphia doesnt have the budget to plow its hilly streets the Subaru is a must. He had an '01 Impreza before, so I think that he is actually excited to get back into one of these and not have to worry so much about the next person who parallel parks behind/in front of him. And Subaru offered him $6k for the IS which has a few ticks over 100k miles. More than I thought it was worth.

The latest 4-speed, for 2010, yes, is still a little dated, and has rather widely-spaced gear ratios, but shifts as smoothly as a big Buick....it is anything BUT harsh. Subaru's policy, however, right now (and I disagree with it) is to sell only the 4-speed auto and 5-speed manual with all of the Imprezas except the WRX and STi.....even the turbo Impreza GT. Cost-cutting is an obvious reason....the 4-speed costs less to produce. Only the 3.6R H6 models, at present, get the 5-speed automatic.

I would not be surprised at all to see the 2.5i Impreza and Forester lines get the CVT next year.....though , like you, I'd rather see them get the 5-speed auto than the CVT.
My question is, as I have not seen the dimensions of the new CVT, is whether or not the CVT will fit in the current Impreza and Forester. However, the 6MT should be standard across the board. Nevertheless, it is unbelieveable that the Impreza GT and the Forester XT continue to utilize the 4 speed. I am glad to hear that it has improved. As I recall, people complained about how harshly the Legacy GT shifted, thus in '98 they 'softened' it up, supposedly sacraficing performance for comfort.
Old 06-05-10, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And Subaru offered him $6k for the IS which has a few ticks over 100k miles. More than I thought it was worth.
I agree it's a good trade-in value. That's (probably) because Subaru dealerships (their service departments, of course, repair cars for a living) know that the IS300 is an superbly-built car that will not likely, even at 100K, to require a lot of money, work or parts replaced on it to get it ready for the market. If the dealership figures that they will have a lot of work to do on the trade-in to restore years of neglect, or because of poor quality, they aren't likely to offer you much. Of course, the demend for the car on the used-car market also, to some extent, determines its relative trade-in value.

BTW, Subaru, at the time, offered me 15K for my old IS.....and it was then 5 years old. I also had a couple of private-party offers.

My question is, as I have not seen the dimensions of the new CVT, is whether or not the CVT will fit in the current Impreza and Forester. However, the 6MT should be standard across the board. Nevertheless, it is unbelieveable that the Impreza GT and the Forester XT continue to utilize the 4 speed. I am glad to hear that it has improved. As I recall, people complained about how harshly the Legacy GT shifted, thus in '98 they 'softened' it up, supposedly sacraficing performance for comfort.
The Legacy GT, of course, was a classic sports-sedan, and a semi-performance car. As you note, with most conventional torque-converter automatics, smoothness usually means slippage, with a brief loss of acceleration during the shift. That's not necessarily the case with advanced twin-clutch automanuals (though the first BMW SMGs had a reputation for being harsh).

Even besides the Impeza line, 4-speed automatics are not all in the grave yet. You will still find them on some entry-level cars, and in the case of GM, even some not-so-entryl-evel ones as well. In fact, until just a few years ago, the Dodge Neon, before it was replaced by the Caliber, still soldiered on with an old 3 speed automatic.

As far as the CVT actually fitting into the of the Impreza and Forester (though I, admittedly, am not an engineer), I don't see any immediate problems with it, right off-hand. It is a notably compact unit, and takes up less space than conventional torque-converter automatics.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-10 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 04:50 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Nice job Mmarshall

How does it not have an engine temp gauge? That's kind of stupid. cost cutting maybe?
Old 06-05-10, 05:19 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

My brother bought a dark grey metallic 2.5i Impreza today. He judges that the interior isn't as nice as his 2001 RS, but has concluded that this a good car for him to own for a few years until he moves somewhere that isn't as cruel to the automotive enthusiast.
Old 06-05-10, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Nice job Mmarshall
Thanks.

How does it not have an engine temp gauge? That's kind of stupid. cost cutting maybe?
Yeah, I agree......that's B.S. All the new-generation Subarus in the last 3 years or so, in the American market, have been like that, except for the WRX and STI. Subaru's PR spin is that the engineers felt that blue and red lights (for cold and hot) could do a more effective job of warning because they suddenly flash on and off, rather than creep up slowly like a gauge. That (may?) be true at night, when flashing dash-lights are more easily noticed, but it begs 2 questions......neither of which the Subaru people can answer. First, as far as I know, ALL Japanese-market Subarus get gauges, not just the WRX/STI like in the U.S. Second, the first sign of a thermostat, cooling-system, or head gasket problem is often a slow rise or an up-and-down movement of the gauge needle......which, of course, will not show up with warning lights until the engine is already very hot or overheated.

My personal opinion, like yours, is that Subaru, to save some money (bulbs are obviously cheaper than gauges) took it off the specs of most of the American-market cars because they figured most buyers wouldn't complain....and they may be right. But.....most buyers don't scrutinize a car like we do here in CAR CHAT.

Subaru, however, like most auto manufacturers, does (sometimes) listen to their customers. The 2010 re-design of the Legacy/Outback, for example, replaced the folding side-mirrors with rigidly-fixed side-mirrors.....again, of course, to cut costs, and, again, on the American-market versions. That was too much even for the Outback faithful, who complained in droves. It took only one year....and the folding side-mirrors are now back on again for 2011.

And, to be fair (and honest), automakers sometimes compensate in other areas when they cut costs in one. With Subaru, a good example is the new gas-struts for the hoods of all of its latest-generation models (even the entry-level ones), so that you don't have to screw around with those prop-rods any more. The new Outback also has built-in, swing-away roof bars that clip on to the side-rails when not in use. That makes washing the roof much easier........but of course, added some production costs.
Old 06-05-10, 05:56 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Oh, I didn't know that the folding mirrors were back. I hate my fixed side mirrors. Someone took off one on my '96 Legacy and it cost $140 (this was back in 2004) plus $110 to paint it blue because it was a GT model. Thus, I am moving to an apartment in a month that has a parking lot, not street parking which is very hazardous to fixed mirrors.

I get the cost cutting and I know that Subaru wanted so badly for the Legacy to be priced under $20k, but I would expect to pay more for one. A Camry may start under $20k, but it does not have AWD or a horizontally opposed engine. AWD is what people go to Subaru for and I think for the most part people are prepared to pay for it. Do people who are cross shopping the Camry, Accord, Altima, perhaps even Fusion really even look at the Legacy? I'm not so sure that they do.
Old 06-05-10, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I didn't know that the folding mirrors were back. I hate my fixed side mirrors. Someone took off one on my '96 Legacy and it cost $140 (this was back in 2004) plus $110 to paint it blue because it was a GT model. Thus, I am moving to an apartment in a month that has a parking lot, not street parking which is very hazardous to fixed mirrors.
I don't remember when the rigid side-mirrors on the Legacy/Outback line were first converted to folding ones, but I do know that the 3Gen models (2005-2009) had folding mirrors (my own Outback was one of them). Then, for 2010, the Subie cost-cutters removed them from U.S.-market models.....for one year. The public outcry forced them BACK on the Legacy/outback line for 2011.

I get the cost cutting and I know that Subaru wanted so badly for the Legacy to be priced under $20k, but I would expect to pay more for one. A Camry may start under $20k, but it does not have AWD or a horizontally opposed engine. AWD is what people go to Subaru for and I think for the most part people are prepared to pay for it.
That's primarily why I did this review....for those, including myself, who may be looking at the Outback Sport as a somewhat cheaper alternative to the regular Outback line....or maybe the Impreza sedan as a cheaper alternative to the Legacy sedan (the Legacy wagons, of course, are gone).

The design problems with the 2010 Legacy/Outback front suspension/steering are also, of course, causing some people to check out the alternatives in the Subaru line.

Do people who are cross shopping the Camry, Accord, Altima, perhaps even Fusion really even look at the Legacy? I'm not so sure that they do.
On the contary, some Legacy customers are probably not looking at the Camry/Accord/Altima either, because those vehicles don't offer AWD, at least in the U.S. Only recently have we begun to see true mid-sized Subaru AWD competitors, in the same price range.........vehicles like the Toyota Venza and Honda Crosstour.

The Fusion/Milan/MKZ triplets, of course, offer AWD, but, of course, not the wagon body style and raised-suspension with it like on the Outback. The Milan, with Mercury's demise, may soon be out of production, but the Fusion will, I agree, be one of the strongest competitors in the mid-size sedan market. The MKZ, which has an AWD option, is in a higher price class, and the upcoming Acura TSX Sportwagon has the nice wagon body, but not AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-10 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews (though I might do an unplanned one in the meantime):

2011 Ford Fiesta

2011 Hyundai Equus

2011 Jaguar XJ

(crossing my fingers, though, on the XJ)

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport