Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler to be axed in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 12:20 PM
LexFather

Post Chrysler to be axed in Europe

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/250322/

The Chrysler name will disappear from mainland Europe by 2011, with all its models being rebadged as Lancias.

However, the Chrylser name will live on in Great Britain and Ireland, where Lancia models are not sold.

“Our plan is to have in place by May 2011 a Lancia/Chrysler integrated network comprising about 800 dealers and over 1000 dealerships,” Chrysler and Lancia CEO Olivier Francois told Auto News Europe.

Parent company Fiat has written to almost 1100 Lancia and Chrysler dealerships across Europe informing them that their contracts will end on 31 May 2011.

Instead, a new dealership network to deal with sales and distribution of Lancia and Chrysler products solely under the Lancia name will be created by Fiat.

Fiat's sales chief Lorenzo Sistino said last week that dealers would benefit from the decision as it would allow them to sell a full product line-up.

Chrysler dealers selling Jeeps will become sole Jeep retailers and Dodge will now become a niche player in Europe, importing small-volume muscle cars from the US.

Old 06-07-10, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Dodge will now become a niche player in Europe, importing small-volume muscle cars from the US.
This would (assumingly), mean the Charger and Challenger R/T and SRT models. The Caliber and Nitro R/T models, as I see it, certainly don't quality as "muscle" cars. And the Viper, at least according to Dodge, is being discontinued.
Old 06-07-10, 02:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the Dodge brand will eventually (if not sooner) follow the fate of the Chrysler brand in Europe.
Old 06-07-10, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I wonder if the Dodge brand will eventually (if not sooner) follow the fate of the Chrysler brand in Europe.
I'd have to agree with you....likely, but not certain. We've seen, in the last several years, with Olds, Saturn, Eagle, Plymouth, Pontiac, Hummer, and now Mercury, what happens to divisions when their sales figures (or overhead costs) don't satisfy the corparate management. Dodge never has been a really big player in Europe.
Old 06-07-10, 03:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chrysler has nothing new nor better to offer, compared to what other more established European makes and models have.

It's really sad, especially since they were in cahoots with Benz for over a decade...
Old 06-07-10, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's really sad, especially since they were in cahoots with Benz for over a decade...
.......and, IMO, the only thing they have to show for it, after those 10 years, is a decent RWD chassis, derived from the Mercedes E-Class, for the Charger, Challenger, and the now-defunct Magnum. The PT Cruiser ran up some decent sales, but was not, IMO, a very impressive car.
Old 06-07-10, 03:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The PT Cruiser ran up some decent sales, but was not, IMO, a very impressive car.
Not aware of any Mercedes technology in the PT Cruiser, (agreed a POS car).
Old 06-07-10, 03:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And then Chrysler will go away all together and we'll just have Fiats world wide ... yea?
Old 06-07-10, 03:28 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The market for American muscle cars isn't big at all here. I believe Dodge should pull out of Europe for good. The money saved from such a move can be put to good use for Chrysler as a whole. If a European wants a muscle car from Dodge, there are tons of firms here that import them (and spare parts) from the US.

Also, why should Dodge all of a sudden be known as a muscle car brand when for the last few years they've desperately tried to sell the Europeans a mixture of MPV/SUV vehicles (Caliber, Journey, Nitro - even the Ram pickup!). I think of these, the Journey was halfway competitive whereas the Nitro and Caliber were appealing from a price and interior space point of view, but simply awful in terms of safety and handling. The Caliber, though, was mildly "successful" here, especially with the VW-sourced TDI motors. I'm not sure who at Chrysler thought the massive and thirsty Ram pickup would be a success here. The only pickups I've seen here are small 4-cylinder-powered models from Mitsubishi and Nissan.

It will be interesting to see how the Lancia-badged-Chrysler products will do in Europe. In effect, I think this is a kind of death for the Lancia brand, which was known for stylish cars and a distinct personality. I cannot see any appeal in a Chrysler product with a Lancia badge upfront, especially when many Italian cars are also sold based on emotional reasons.
Old 06-07-10, 04:01 PM
LexFather

Europe has a enough average/sub-par brands/cars as it is. As an American its sad that we simply don't have anything much that appeals to Europeans. We must we fail over and over there?

Ford has the only clue and GM somewhat there.

Old 06-07-10, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not aware of any Mercedes technology in the PT Cruiser, (agreed a POS car).

No, there isn't any that I know either. I only mentioned the PT as one of Chrysler's few (initial) successes in the 10 partnership with M-B that Phillip MSPT mentioned. It initially sold like hotcakes, mainly on its beach-wagon looks, but, once the novelty of it wore off (like with its Chevy HHR competition) sales dropped sharply.

Mechanically, the PT was pretty much a Neon platform/powertrain (which, of course, doesn't say much for its refinement), but it did offer interesting convertible and turbo models. And the body-color-painted interior panels weren't like your run-of-the-mill small cars either.

I don't have PT sales figures for Europe, so I can't comment on its popularity level there.
Old 06-07-10, 05:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like more of a facelift/rebadge than the axe.
Old 06-07-10, 05:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, there isn't any that I know either. I only mentioned the PT as one of Chrysler's few (initial) successes in the 10 partnership with M-B that Phillip MSPT mentioned. It initially sold like hotcakes, mainly on its beach-wagon looks, but, once the novelty of it wore off (like with its Chevy HHR competition) sales dropped sharply.
Yes, Chrysler had other vehicles that sold in volume in that 10 year period that did not share in Mercedes technology too.