Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jay Leno tests a 2010 BMW M3 coupe (Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 03:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Jay Leno tests a 2010 BMW M3 coupe (Vid)

Car/driving enthusiast Jay Leno purchased a 2010 M3 to his famed stable of cars. Drive it hard Jay & read the manual lol!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...mw-m3/1232499/
Old 06-08-10, 04:32 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice video and review. Jay is great. He made me laugh out loud when he said something like, I like the turn signal action better on the BMW then my friends Chrysler Sebring LOL.

PS I may have missed it, but I don't think Jay bought this car. I know towards the end of the video he said that what he likes about the car is that there isn't much to improve on it but if he owned it he might go with a little more aggressive exhaust.
Old 06-08-10, 06:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TripleL

PS I may have missed it, but I don't think Jay bought this car. I know towards the end of the video he said that what he likes about the car is that there isn't much to improve on it but if he owned it he might go with a little more aggressive exhaust.
Another misleading title

Yeah around the 12:30 mark he says "If this car was mine, I would add an exhaust". Also Jay it doesn't have 444hp (20 sec mark)

Good review, I liked the BMW racecar part, reminded me of walking around the Paddocks at Petit Le Mans.

Old 06-08-10, 07:33 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that red is absolutely mesmerizing!
the M3 owns this segment, sorry C63, IS-F.
Old 06-08-10, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, it goes take away a lot of respect when he said 444hp... and yeah, he doesn't own the car... sigh....

not everything on the car is "functional". the hood opening, only the driver side is functionally connected to the intake. the passenger side is not doing anything (covered). the two side grilles on the front fenders, they aren't connected to anything neither, just cosmetic and in the engine bay, yeah it's easy to access fluids, but then again, there isn't even a freaking dipstick, haha...

i do like the fact that he said the stick is better than the dct, hehe though i won't say the car is that perfect. the brakes can definitely use a bit more improvement

and talk about m3 burnout, umm, how about this?
http://vimeo.com/11512251
Old 06-08-10, 11:46 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, it goes take away a lot of respect when he said 444hp... and yeah, he doesn't own the car... sigh....

not everything on the car is "functional". the hood opening, only the driver side is functionally connected to the intake. the passenger side is not doing anything (covered). the two side grilles on the front fenders, they aren't connected to anything neither, just cosmetic and in the engine bay, yeah it's easy to access fluids, but then again, there isn't even a freaking dipstick, haha...

i do like the fact that he said the stick is better than the dct, hehe though i won't say the car is that perfect. the brakes can definitely use a bit more improvement

and talk about m3 burnout, umm, how about this?
http://vimeo.com/11512251
Reliability wise have you been pretty pleased with your M3 so far? I plan to get into an M one day.

Obviously I don't necessarily buy the "Oh BMW = German therefore by default all BMWs have terrible reliability" that many fans of other brands might put forth. Each car is different, and from my cursory assessment I haven't seen too many troubles identified with the M3. Certainly nothing to the extent of the HPFP issues that are plaguing the 335i.
Old 06-09-10, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Reliability wise have you been pretty pleased with your M3 so far? I plan to get into an M one day.

Obviously I don't necessarily buy the "Oh BMW = German therefore by default all BMWs have terrible reliability" that many fans of other brands might put forth. Each car is different, and from my cursory assessment I haven't seen too many troubles identified with the M3. Certainly nothing to the extent of the HPFP issues that are plaguing the 335i.
to be honest, i have been pretty happy with my m3. but i think i should explain a bit to qualify my answer.

first of all is my expectations. i got the m3 for pure performance and driving. i don't expect as much luxury and comfort. and that actually helped, coz' i actually think the m3 is pretty darn comfortable (and my pregnant wife actually prefers to ride in the m3 over the 3gs). with that said, i expected the car to have rattles here and there, which they do, but they don't bother me (vs my lexus where it was a bit annoying).

i have had my car for 18 months, i have gone into limp mode once, seems like a sensor issue, fixed and never problem again. other than that, my car has been as solid as you can imagine.

the m3 overall is a very reliable car. initially people had problems with the dct (mine is 6mt) but i think that's mostly fixed. without the HPFP issue that's always a plus. i basically hardly hear problems on the drivetrain. i never had any problems with any of the electronics, from radio to nav to lights, and even my hard top has been working great.

but i also have to say, owning bmw, a lot of people get cars with zero problems over a long time, but there are some people who just keep on running into problems in the same car (lemon). i think that's the biggest problem, it's hit or miss. my car is solid, but on m3 forums, i have seen people with m3 and they cry every day

and my last note? i lease my m3. there is no way i am going to own this car after warranty period
Old 06-09-10, 12:59 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
that red is absolutely mesmerizing!
the M3 owns this segment, sorry C63, IS-F.
in addition, only BMW offers coupe variation which is a HUGE PLUS!
Old 06-09-10, 06:28 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Jay Leno is becoming quite the auto journalist. He can basicly pickup the phone & call any car company & tell them he wants to drive a car & they will deliver it to his garage detailed & full of gas. I worked for a company that makes this happen & test drove every car prior to delivery. I delivered a car to Leno's garage by the Burbank airport & got a tour of his collection by one of his 3 fulltime mechanics.
Old 06-09-10, 07:10 PM
LexFather

To those humping the choices the M3 offers if you actually think the E30, the first M3, only was offered one version the two door. The IS F is in it's first version and it wasn't even a planned product thus only being available as 4 door and it having a longer overhang to fit the engine etc.

We have posted reports the next M3 won't have a sedan version due to slow sales. In Europe (where some will make us think they all drive manuals and all drive on the autobahn) the least hardcore M3, the convertible, is the best selling model.

It is great AMG and RS offers M3 competition and even better that the Americans joine with the V. Lexus is THE ONLY Japanese brand with a M3 fighter which should be commended. Thank goodness for the IS F.

Old 06-09-10, 07:15 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To those humping the choices the M3 offers if you actually think the E30, the first M3, only was offered one version the two door. The IS F is in it's first version and it wasn't even a planned product thus only being available as 4 door and it having a longer overhang to fit the engine etc.

We have posted reports the next M3 won't have a sedan version due to slow sales. In Europe (where some will make us think they all drive manuals and all drive on the autobahn) the least hardcore M3, the convertible, is the best selling model.

It is great AMG and RS offers M3 competition and even better that the Americans joine with the V. Lexus is THE ONLY Japanese brand with a M3 fighter which should be commended. Thank goodness for the IS F.
Hell ya!

What he said.
Old 06-09-10, 10:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=rominl;5553973]umm, it goes take away a lot of respect when he said 444hp... and yeah, he doesn't own the car... sigh....

Also, the car isn't 2011. It's 2009 or 10.
Old 06-09-10, 11:01 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Hell ya!

What he said.
i second that!! its gonna be interesting to see the next generation for the m3, IS F, RS4 and C-class AMG, and how they'll stack up against one another then. but the F is a true adversary in this class, and one that will only get better with more research and upgrades in the future.
Old 06-10-10, 12:07 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw Jay on the freeway the other day in a Aston Martin Rapide. I didn't even know they made a sedan. I tried to get pics, but they came out really bad. He was waving at people so seemed like a nice guy.
Old 06-10-10, 12:23 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Jay Leno is becoming quite the auto journalist. He can basicly pickup the phone & call any car company & tell them he wants to drive a car & they will deliver it to his garage detailed & full of gas. I worked for a company that makes this happen & test drove every car prior to delivery. I delivered a car to Leno's garage by the Burbank airport & got a tour of his collection by one of his 3 fulltime mechanics.

"Hello, Byprodrive? It's a nice day today, and I need some wind in my face. I'm going to take a spirited drive up Angeles Crest Highway, so I'm thinking a Ferrari 458 or one of those new Lexus LF-A's will do the trick. Grab one and roll on over."

What a life.

Quick Reply: Jay Leno tests a 2010 BMW M3 coupe (Vid)