Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it just me or are fewer people using turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 12:39 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

next time just keep a shotgun in ur car and shoot their tires if they do that. /thread.
Old 06-08-10, 12:56 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meowCat
So you know what I do now??????? I don't use signal lights anymore. I just drive more aggressively and just turn lanes. Funny thing is that they don't tail me and give me high beams and such.

Truck drivers rule. They clearly know how to drive. They are smart and have much better attitude...
I think there's something to what meowCat is saying above. I've noticed that often giving advance turn notice with a signal gets others to speed up to block you from getting "in front of" them.

Truck drivers do rule. They are badass drivers hands down.
Old 06-08-10, 12:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
I actually think a study could be done to examine the relationship between failure to signal and cell-phone use. I have a theory that people are conditioned to not use the signal because they have a phone in one hand while the other is on the wheel. They get used to this so that they don't think to signal even when they aren't on the phone.
Fair question, same applies to smokers that drive while smoking (but sadly they may have diminished abilities resulting from damage of years of chain smoking).
Old 06-08-10, 01:01 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

its my pet peeve. it really gets my blood boiling when someone cuts in front of me without signalling.
Old 06-08-10, 01:11 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
its my pet peeve. it really gets my blood boiling when someone cuts in front of me without signalling.

lol come spend a week driving here and lets check your blood pressure afterwards.

NYC is a totally different animal when it comes to driving. You drive here (successfully) looking at EVERY single car anticipating they are a blithering idiot and ready to cause harm to you. We don't expect to see turn signals, especially in Manhattan where a cab driver will react to the slightest hand upward movement from across four lanes of traffic to pick up a fare.
Old 06-08-10, 01:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
lol come spend a week driving here and lets check your blood pressure afterwards.

NYC is a totally different animal when it comes to driving. You drive here (successfully) looking at EVERY single car anticipating they are a blithering idiot and ready to cause harm to you. We don't expect to see turn signals, especially in Manhattan where a cab driver will react to the slightest hand upward movement from across four lanes of traffic to pick up a fare.
NYC is quite the adventure Miami drivers are pretty bad too. Atlanta has better roads and wider everything it seems but just as bad drivers.

On the other hand in Jamaica people RARELY and I mean RARELY use the signal. However it seems since no one uses it, no one expects one to use it and everyone drives the same way thus no road rage about turn signal usage. It was quite amazing to see

Old 06-08-10, 01:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems if a person is talking on the phone then they only have one arm to steer with so they don't use their turn signal.

That's probably what's causing the decrease in turn signal usage.

It doesn't bother me usually but if I get cut off or if somebody slams on their brakes to make a turn... a turn signal would help immensely with safety and efficient driving in those situations.

Around here people almost seem to regard it as 'giving away your next move'. I can see why they think that too. Sometimes when I use mine people actually accelerate to block me. Of course I watch for this and if I can tell they're accelerating to deny me entry I'll just start coming over anyway as long as it's safe.
Old 06-08-10, 04:25 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Good thread.

I'm glad you brought this up, and I don't know about where you live but in my area there are bunch of *******s that get extremely rude if people give them signal lights before changing a lane or making a turn. I give them the signal light and enough space before I move over to the left lane and the driver behind me SPEEDS UP and tail my *** with high beams on. So I give them a brake check, perfect time to use it. I enjoy this. So you know what I do now??????? I don't use signal lights anymore. I just drive more aggressively and just turn lanes. Funny thing is that they don't tail me and give me high beams and such. They back off like CHICKEN!!!!!! LMFAO. The only time I use signal lights is when I'm nearby large trucks. Truck drivers rule. They clearly know how to drive. They are smart and have much better attitude....
Very well said, describes exactly how I drive, when I 1st moved to ATL a year ago, using turn signals was an open invitation to ride my ***, so I stopped, when I return to NY, I start using them again, I find no turn signals also makes idiot drivers pay more attention, but I also find myself driving through my rearview mirror, adjusting my braking to the POS behind me that has 100k plus on it and factory brake fluid
Old 06-08-10, 04:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
It seems if a person is talking on the phone then they only have one arm to steer with so they don't use their turn signal.

That's probably what's causing the decrease in turn signal usage.

It doesn't bother me usually but if I get cut off or if somebody slams on their brakes to make a turn... a turn signal would help immensely with safety and efficient driving in those situations.

Around here people almost seem to regard it as 'giving away your next move'. I can see why they think that too. Sometimes when I use mine people actually accelerate to block me. Of course I watch for this and if I can tell they're accelerating to deny me entry I'll just start coming over anyway as long as it's safe.

LMFAO!!!! They should make a reality show - guess my next move, starring a 1980's dodge pickup with busted out lights driven by this dude!

Old 06-08-10, 05:15 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I haven't noticed an increase (there are those that will always lane hop without signalling), what I have noticed is people using their signals AS THEY CHANGE lanes. It's like they're telling themselves "yeah I use my signal" but only after they start drifting over or turning the steering wheel to make a turn. Sometimes, all I get is one yellow blink and that's it.
Old 06-08-10, 05:51 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People should signal.

I could write a really long rant about all the times people don't signal and definitely, really should be and get really angry about it by the end of all my typing; however, I think we can all easilly come up with two or three times when for what ever reason people seem to be too lazy to move one finger less than an inch.
Old 06-08-10, 05:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Some of the non-signalers seem to be challenged by the smoking of a cig, texting, talking on the phone and occasional beer while driving, all very deadly combination in the end.
Old 06-08-10, 06:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
LMFAO!!!! They should make a reality show - guess my next move, starring a 1980's dodge pickup with busted out lights driven by this dude!

I've seen that before. This dumb Eclipse uses no signal, turns into the right lane and just cruises and almost makes this old truck crash.

The old truck sped up...paced the guy then BAM hit the Eclipse!! He took off and the Eclipse stopped.

Old 06-08-10, 06:03 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I signal I notice people start to accelerate.. Fool! I am signaling to pass you lol. But it's okay because when I have my signal on I have already downshifted to the right gears to cut them off

My feeling is that, cut me off or not, at least have the decency to signal. If someone cut me off and signaled, at least they "tried". Cut me off and not signal, prepared to get cut off or be honked at then cut off.
Old 06-08-10, 06:49 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lady hit me on Friday night right after the Lakers game on the way home. Turned into my lane all of a sudden without signals or anything. Car isn't even 6 months old yet but thankfully its getting taken care of pretty well so far...

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are fewer people using turn signals?