Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it just me or are fewer people using turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 09:46 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or are fewer people using turn signals?

I swear than in the last 5 years it seems that more and more people don't have the courtesy of using turn signals. It never fails that almost anytime I drive I'm behind or faced at an intersection with someone who makes a turn with no warning or who simply slow down before making an unannounced turn. I mean, how hard is it to flick a wrist and use the thing that every car has built into it? It drives me ballistic sometimes.

Sorry, just had to rant.
Old 06-08-10, 09:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not just you.

Everyday, I think using turn signals should be mandatory by law.

I wanna roll down my windows and shout, "The turn signal stalk is only inches from your fingers, buddy!!!"

**takes deep breath**

I'm fine now.
Old 06-08-10, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex

Sorry, just had to rant.

In this case, you may have something legit to rant about.

So many people today are yakking on cell-phones, texting, or engaging in other distractions behind the wheel that they either don't signal for turns at all, or have the signals on when they are driving straight and don't intend to turn.

Based on what I myself see every day, I'd estimate that 1 out of 5 drivers are on a cell-phone, behind the wheel, at any given moment.
Old 06-08-10, 10:03 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think that bugs me as much as people who think if they have their signal on, it automatically gives them the right to cut in front of you when changing lanes.

I had a guy make a right turn on red in front of me as I went straight (didn't stop) and then drift over into the left lane where I was. I held my position and laid on the horn when he tried to get into my space. He clearly didn't check over his shoulder or mirrors and had to jerk the car back into his lane.

Then the guy yelled at ME...nice huh?

As far as people not using their signals - I bet a third of them have burned out indicator bulbs. No one maintains their cars anymore either.....
Old 06-08-10, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I
As far as people not using their signals - I bet a third of them have burned out indicator bulbs. No one maintains their cars anymore either.....
Good point....I hadn't considered part of that. Some vehicles, notably those that are German or Swedish-designed (VWs, especially), have weak electrical systems and tend to burn out a lot of bulbs. I can't count the number of one-eyed VWs I see on the roads each day, and it is likely that turn-signal bulbs are out as well.

Most cars, though (again, if the electrical system is working properly) will flash the green turn-signal indicator on ther dash on and off very rapidly if the bulb is out. Most drivers should be able to see that....or hear the rapid click-clicks.
Old 06-08-10, 10:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speedflex - Good observation about driver behavior.
Old 06-08-10, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i also hate people for not using turn signal, and a lot of times they just cut right in front of you like you are not there. i don't mind if someone wants to cut in front, but be polite and signal. depending on my mood, sometimes i let it go, sometimes i will change lane and pull up front again and let them taste what it's like when someone cut in front of them not signaling
Old 06-08-10, 10:52 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

When someone doesn't use their signal, I lay on the horn to wake them up. Really, is it that hard to do? Maybe they need a 3,000-5,000 lb suppository to help them think clearer
Old 06-08-10, 11:15 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think that bugs me as much as people who think if they have their signal on, it automatically gives them the right to cut in front of you when changing lanes.

I had a guy make a right turn on red in front of me as I went straight (didn't stop) and then drift over into the left lane where I was. I held my position and laid on the horn when he tried to get into my space. He clearly didn't check over his shoulder or mirrors and had to jerk the car back into his lane.

Then the guy yelled at ME...nice huh?
Sorry but since this is a rant thread, you are just as bad as the other driver. You see someone drifting into your lane and you hold your position just to lay on your horn?

You have just as much responsibility to prevent an accident as he does.

I would have been behind you and calling you both the same name.
Old 06-08-10, 11:24 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

It honestly pisses me off. I constantly use my turn signal for everything. Yet some people are so stupid. Honestly. If I was a cop and noticed someone did not signal for a lane change, I would stop them and give them a ticket for reckless endangerment.
Old 06-08-10, 11:54 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I observe and experience it with frequency as well. Then there are those who signal but don't leave sufficient safe distance and while there was plenty of room behind, they have to be in front of you.

Last edited by RA40; 06-08-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 12:05 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

The people in my area are decent, they remember to use their signals and arent rude. But when you go into downtown Chi. its a madhouse, nobody uses signals, you have to pay attention
Old 06-08-10, 12:07 PM
LexFather

I always think "I bet that person wouldn't cut me in line at the store".....Its pathetic and not courteous and all and DANGEROUS.

Speedflex is on the money, people use the turn signals less. They are doing everything else more, on the phone, texting, eating, drinking, doing everything but driving.

What the hell is the point of LED signal technology improving if no one uses it?

Old 06-08-10, 12:31 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thread. I've been noticing this as well. Bottom line is we live in a "me first, to hell with the rest" world these days. Get used to it.

I had a day that almost caused me to start a similar thread about this last week. I had to actively avoid five (that's right, FIVE) cars who apparently wanted to see what my car would look like molded to theirs. Many were completely illegal maneuvers like suddenly changing lanes in the middle of an intersection without signal, wide turns, lane changes without looking to see if it's open, etc. This all happened within a two hour period and I was fuming.

Originally Posted by speedflex
It never fails that almost anytime I drive I'm behind or faced at an intersection with someone who makes a turn with no warning or who simply slow down before making an unannounced turn.
Yeah. This is irritating. I try to read cars' "language" in order to anticipate what the driver is trying to accomplish. Many times, these bad drivers telegraph their intentions even if they don't give you an actual signal.

It is frustrating when people do this, but I have noticed a lot more of this particular behavior recently as well. Unfortunately you have two choices. Let them in or take your car to the body shop.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You have just as much responsibility to prevent an accident as he does.
I agree with this somewhat. It is your responsibility to know your own surroundings and react accordingly. It's when these bad drivers run into others not driving defensively that you see the ugly wrecks at intersections, etc.
Old 06-08-10, 12:37 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I actually think a study could be done to examine the relationship between failure to signal and cell-phone use. I have a theory that people are conditioned to not use the signal because they have a phone in one hand while the other is on the wheel. They get used to this so that they don't think to signal even when they aren't on the phone.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are fewer people using turn signals?