Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More unintended acceleration - Government Motors involved this time.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 08:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default More unintended acceleration - Government Motors involved this time.

http://www.lex18.com/news/911-tapes-...dent-released/

An SUV, seemingly with a mind of its own, recently took a Kentucky woman and her two kids on a harrowing 40 mile ride.

Investigators say the gas pedal on the woman's Chevy Equinox stuck as she was driving westbound along I-64 last week, just west of Lexington near the I-75 split. State Police say the vehicle reached speeds of 95 mph, as troopers and the woman weaved in and out of traffic for nearly 40 miles.

Officials recently released the 911 tapes of the incident.

"Oh my god. (Honking.) I'm going to hit you. Oh my god. I can't stop."

Troopers finally got in front of the SUV and stopped it near exit 34 in Shelbyville.

"Relief,just relief," Trooper Mark Johnson said. "You see enough accidents. You work on the highway and usually when you have people and vehicles mix and there's a mechanical failure, or human failure, nothing good comes out of it. This time we were able to change that."

The woman and her two children were not hurt.

Click on the camera icon with this story to listen to part of that 911 tape.
I wonder what the media take will be on this.
Old 06-09-10, 08:20 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting story... but, is the overused twist of the GM acronym really needed?
Old 06-09-10, 08:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

She should have bought a Hyundai.
Old 06-09-10, 08:28 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sue...Sue...Sue!!! haHAHAHAHAHAHAH sorry
Old 06-09-10, 10:17 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't anyone know how to put their vehicles in neutral?? WTF?

Her On-star subscription must have run out - you'd think they'd be able to assist somehow otherwise...
Old 06-09-10, 10:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm sure there's more to the story somewhat but if the pedal is STUCK and the troopers got in front it, her tires would still be smoking and the troopers brakes must be shot also......right???

unless she remembered to shift to neutral or turned off her engine after they?
Old 06-09-10, 12:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, weaving and talking on the phone. But unable to hit the brakes, put the vehicle in neutral or turn it off. Not very original on her part.
Old 06-09-10, 12:34 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I guess its time to have a mandatory IQ test before getting your license or before renewing it.
Old 06-09-10, 01:15 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think its a plot by her to get a new vehicle cause she dosent want that one anymore or get out of paying for it like the other guy did.
Old 06-09-10, 02:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow seriously, Ford, Chrysler, VW, and Honda prior and now this. Really makes me want to slap those bashing Toyota
Old 06-09-10, 04:06 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Doesn't anyone know how to put their vehicles in neutral?? WTF?

Her On-star subscription must have run out - you'd think they'd be able to assist somehow otherwise...
Agreed! This may sound unnecessary, but maybe state DMV's should require drivers to know what neutral is before they get their license's.
Old 06-09-10, 05:19 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for swat to roll in or up, attach a 5lb block of C4, and detonate it on a closed section of highway, Im sure this entire unintended acceleration BS will disappear
Old 06-09-10, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I guess its time to have a mandatory IQ test before getting your license or before renewing it.

Yep.....can a simple P R N D on the console be that difficult?

Of course, to be fair, the annoying zig-zag motion of the shift lever that some automakers use doesn't help things any. I point those out in my car reviews, where applicable. Still, even with wiggling the lever from side-to-side in those patterns, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds at most to hit neutral, if you stay calm and move the lever carefully.

I guess not everyone can stay calm under those conditions, though. In fact, look what happened in CA with that ES350 and State Trooper....and they are professional drivers who are taught to handle driving emergencies.
Old 06-09-10, 08:09 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes, it's not even necessary to put the car into neutral, even if you don't have some sort of "brake override" system.

If you have power assisted brakes and you are experiencing unintended acceleration, if you simply press firmly on your brakes you will eventually come to a stop.

However, if you start to firmly press on your brakes, and then you let go, and then you press the brakes again (i.e. "pumping" the brakes) - well you've just signed a death sentence (were it not for the wonders of neutral, of course).

There are so many ways to stop a car undergoing unintended acceleration via a stuck accelerator. I blame lack of driver education to be the problem. Driver's ed courses are not doing enough it seems.
Old 06-10-10, 06:10 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep.....can a simple P R N D on the console be that difficult?

Of course, to be fair, the annoying zig-zag motion of the shift lever that some automakers use doesn't help things any. I point those out in my car reviews, where applicable. Still, even with wiggling the lever from side-to-side in those patterns, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds at most to hit neutral, if you stay calm and move the lever carefully.
The last three cars I've owned have had gated automatic shifters (02 Maxima, '99 LS, 07 ES) and ALL were a simple push forward to go from Drive to Neutral. You only have to move it sideways and forward to go to Reverse (after passing through Neutral of course). I'm sure it's to prevent someone from accidentally bumping it there. My wife has accidentally bumped the shifter to N on me by accident..